Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Sell Me Your Monitor Windvane :p

I just went thru the process of selecting a windvane for my small boat (a Vancouver 27) and, in my head, the choices came down to the Monitor, Hydrovane and Norvane. I have experience with Monitors and know them to be exceptional. But the price and the weight aft were the two factors that led me to look elsewhere. The hydrovane was also at the top of my list for a while, particularly because I have an outboard rudder, and the hydrovane would've allowed for an off-center mount right off the transom. Also no extra lines in the cockpit. Hydrovanes are also $$$ in every sense of the word, just like Monitors. Exceptional vanes and about $6000 all told if I recall correctly.

Phil at Norvane operates a one or two man operation. He's also still doing a bit of cruising from time to time it seems, so there will likely be periods where the customer experience is severely compromised. I had no problems in my dealings last year tho. I reached out to him first in July via email and got a prompt response. When I finally decided to buy in January, I placed my order and had it 3 weeks later.

There are other vanes that were probably worthy of inclusion that didn't factor prominently into my search. But the bottom line is I knew I wanted a rugged vane that could carry me thru rough weather dependably and that I could fix myself if needed. I have no regrets so far about going with the Norvane.

Norvane review: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...iew-63789.html
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Nothing but kind words about Scanmar from me. Arrived on time and to spec. Took me a couple of hours with a friend to install. No issues. Tracked great.

Don't know where you're getting your price from as its listed for $4,495.00

Let me know where you get 316 stainless steel tubing of that thickness cheap, and how your skills rate MIG/TIG gin your own rig off of dreams including a balance of parts.

Nothing but hot air
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I built my own pendulum gear back in the 90's. I had a full Machine/welding shop. I used 316 Stainless for the strcture. Torlon, Rulon and Delrin for the bearings. It wasn't so much the cost of the materials, which was around $500 when I was finished but the time it took. Well over 200 hours in design, jig work to keep everything true while welding and machining individual parts and finish machining the unit after weldments. It worked fine but I could easily see how manufacturers go through different revisions of a model. I would just guess that a monitor has 25 hours of work in them, at least $300 in materials based on multiple unit runs. Remember, Scanmar does not do all their own Manufacturing, so you can tack on at least another 30% to their cost. Usually a good profit margin on something like this would be about double the manufacturing price. Otherwise, why be in business.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

its probably labour costs then.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24   #20

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Each Monitor Windvane is built for a specific boat. Seldom is the stern of dis-similar boats the same. So when you buy from the factory, they match your boat to a specific frame.

When I hear of people buying used Monitor windvanes sight unseen I now that the buyer is running the risk of purchasing something that they will not be satisfied with.

Yes, one of the original inventors of this product has minimal people skills, but if we were all the same life would be boring.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm another satisfied Scanmar customer. My Monitor windvane has performed well over many thousands of miles, and I have received good service from them.

If Scanmar sold the Monitor for the cost of parts, or even parts plus labor, they would quickly be out of business. There are at least three and probably four employees (whom I have met) and in addition to building the windvanes they have to sell and support these products. They have to stock spare parts, pay for their office/warehouse/shop/tools, go to boat shows, answer phones, come out to boats and take measurements, etc, etc.

If you can do better, by all means go ahead. When you are done making your windvane, would you mind selling me one for the cost of the raw materials? Thanks!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55   #22

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Buy the book SELF STEERING FOR SAILING CRAFT by John Letcher, and make your own.

There is also a section in the book on sheet-to-tiller steering, that you should know how to do if you're going to cross an ocean. Then, if your other steering system breaks, you can rig the sheet-to-tiller as a back up.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24   #23

Boat: CD 26D.

Quote:
Buy the book SELF STEERING FOR SAILING CRAFT by John Letcher, and make your own.
It's sitting on my desk..

I really should build a bamboo one, eh?!

Is it easy, worth it over shelling out the cash for a pre-fab one?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Nothing but kind words about Scanmar from me. Arrived on time and to spec. Took me a couple of hours with a friend to install. No issues. Tracked great.

Don't know where you're getting your price from as its listed for $4,495.00

Let me know where you get 316 stainless steel tubing of that thickness cheap, and how your skills rate MIG/TIG gin your own rig off of dreams including a balance of parts.

Nothing but hot air
I'm not denying I'm the 1 in 100 who has a bad experience. They are probably amazing.

Albeit pricy. And the snapdragons over at customer service.

SCANMAR
Old 06-06-2013, 17:54   #25

Yes...go for it...Bamboo would definitely be the way to go.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-06-2013, 18:43   #26

Boat: seawind II Patience

Is it best to use oil,varnish or cetrol on bamboo.If I build one myself.marc
Old 06-06-2013, 18:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2012 View Post
Is it best to use oil,varnish or cetrol on bamboo.If I build one myself.marc
Ohhh...Motor oil actually. Used, if you can find it because Cetol and Varnish are only making those fat-cats, that are selling it, richer...
Old 06-06-2013, 21:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yes...go for it...Bamboo would definitely be the way to go.
I'm a little nervous.. This is one of the most important pieces of equipment, ever.
Old 07-06-2013, 15:34   #29

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post

I'm a little nervous.. This is one of the most important pieces of equipment, ever.
Best to use good quality duct tape then.
Old 07-06-2013, 19:15   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Considering the location of Scanmar, their security cost must be astronomical, Apartment buildings in the area have bars over the back windows of units on the second floor.

Their located in Richmond, Calif. close to San Quintin The Fed prison with a gas chamber.
I'd think that it would make it a more secure area. I used to live in an area called felony flats because it was within walking distance of the Oregon State Penitentiary. Was a great place to grow up.
kind regards

Tags
monitor, windvane