Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 10:59   #1

Boat: Hunter 356
Help! Need blue water project

I am looking for a late 70 through 80s blue water boat to restore. Looking for a great hull 42+ feet - like a gulfstar, Peterson, tartan, HR, etc. that has been sitting for 20 years neglected. Anybody seen one in their local yard? Know a guy? Thanks!!!
Old 22-08-2015, 17:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Help! Need blue water project

Just on one today, sitting next to my boat.

Gulf star 50'. Two cabin owners model. Pretty boat. It is a sloop bout Oddly has chain plates for a ketch rig. It may have been a ketch at once, and could be again. The boom would have to be shortened, and a mizzen out on. In mast furling main is wasted anyway. No other sail on board.

I walked the deck, it seemed sound.

Big windlass, also a windlass on the stern.

Lots to like. Pretty boat, nice lines. The woodwork generally looked good with some damage to the veneer bits here and there.

Then there are, or were, the mechanicals.

I think it's safe to say you would basically be buying a finished hull that needed new mechanicals.

Delaware. I hear asking is mid 60's. Kinda odd circumstances, might be willing to talk.
Old 22-08-2015, 18:51   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

There is an Oyster 435 half price on the Yach....com somewhere in the US. Cheap, project, and probably well worth the time and money invested.

b.
Old 23-08-2015, 07:43   #4

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Just on one today, sitting next to my boat.

Gulf star 50'. Two cabin owners model. Pretty boat. It is a sloop bout Oddly has chain plates for a ketch rig. It may have been a ketch at once, and could be again. The boom would have to be shortened, and a mizzen out on. In mast furling main is wasted anyway. No other sail on board.

I walked the deck, it seemed sound.

Big windlass, also a windlass on the stern.

Lots to like. Pretty boat, nice lines. The woodwork generally looked good with some damage to the veneer bits here and there.

Then there are, or were, the mechanicals.

I think it's safe to say you would basically be buying a finished hull that needed new mechanicals.

Delaware. I hear asking is mid 60's. Kinda odd circumstances, might be willing to talk.
That actually sounds like just what I am looking for and I am in Delaware. Where is it locAted?
Old 23-08-2015, 09:21   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinGravity View Post
I am looking for a late 70 through 80s blue water boat to restore. Looking for a great hull 42+ feet - like a gulfstar, Peterson, tartan, HR, etc. that has been sitting for 20 years neglected. Anybody seen one in their local yard? Know a guy? Thanks!!!
Check out the storage yards in San Carlos and Guaymas Mx. A good example is a Fuji 45 that sold for around $20K last year. Even ones that are not listed on Yacht World are for sale in the yard with for sale signs or word of mouth.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-08-2015, 14:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

PM sent.
Old 02-09-2015, 17:46   #7

Boat: EDELCAT33

I have a 1979 CAL39 MKII here in Miami. Is not really afixer upper but for $25K is price way below market. I just have 4 sailboats and need to sell two of them. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 06-09-2015, 19:07   #8

Boat: Soon

I am interested in hearing more about your boat Carlosproa...
Old 06-09-2015, 20:17   #9

Boat: EDELCAT33

Call me at 561-213-9038 and I can tell you all about it. I have it for sale here at the cruising forum and sailboatowners.com
Old 31-10-2015, 19:23   #10

Quote:
There isamidcockpit46ft-erfor20 grand in /on floridasailboatsforsaleby owner--Owneris 82 and ready for shore.
Old 31-10-2015, 19:32   #11

Quote:
That actually sounds like just what I am looking for and I am in Delaware. Where is it locAted?
Gulfstar is not a" great Hull "I had 2 of them--The structure is built likea house with floor joists (on galvanized hangers yet) that rot out!! one G50actually had the hull collapse around the keel when on the hard. Plus delam of the hull and blister prone--They were built on a catch as catch can basis

Tags
water