Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:06   #31

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: cheap Westsail 32 project on EBAY

W32 stands for Westsail 32 - the boat does not look like a Westsail and is longer than 32 feet.

What is it?
Old 06-02-2012, 09:17   #32

Boat: Pearson 34-II

There is a difference between a project boat and a derelict boat. This boat, as it appears from the pictures, is certainly a derelict and reminds me of the lost and broken shells that used to be anchored around Dinner Key Marina in Miami before they cleaned up the anchorage. In addition to its condition, the design of the boat, both outside and inside, is bizarre and irrespective of its past would not be a good candidate for restoration since even if it once again becomes functional you'll be sailing something that looks like a cross between Flash Gordon's spaceship and a backyard inflatable swimming pool. As some have responded earlier, this should be hauled, dismembered and whatever has value could be sold online. I think of the old Jazz standard "Boulevard of Broken Dreams:"
"You laugh tonight and cry tomorrow,
When you behold your shattered dreams."

Good luck and good sailing.
Amy Winehouse - "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (cover) HD @ Arena Anhembi, São Paulo, Brazil - YouTube
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazystar@aol.com View Post
I am the person selling the boat. She is definitely a mess...but definitely solid. I spend the last week taking old junk off of her and straightening up the interior a bit. It was like an episode of "Hoarders"! I already have a Westsail...so , don't need another. She came to me through a friend of my father. I guess I should've given her a better bath!
My thoughts: bulletproof hull , motor looks great and turns...vut probably needs some work. very proper , seagoing interior. She looks strange...and the dual rudder is VERY strange , but remember ...the guy sailed this from California to Hawaii successfully.
Someone with time and elbow grease can easily clean her up , straighten out her motor and buy some used sails from Minney's...and have a pretty rock solid little cruising boat. Just my 2 cents.
One thing I did notice on the E-bay listing was no mention of the Engine status - from your comments above I see why. Personally I would have included that info in the listing - possibly with an (optimistic?) guesstimate of the cost to fix / stick an outboard on the back, and the same for some S/h sails.

Do you deliver?
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50   #34

Boat: Squadron 36
I feel sorry for the person that buys that boat thinking they are getting a deal. It is just wrong to ask more than free for that floating $burden$.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07   #35

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjmin View Post
I feel sorry for the person that buys that boat thinking they are getting a deal. It is just wrong to ask more than free for that floating $burden$.
have you any clue?!?!

looks well built, ssoo if the deck is not mush, and all the bulkhead are well attached it is worth the asking price all day, bout that much in teak handrails alone hahahaha
Old 06-02-2012, 10:16   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjmin View Post
I don't .

IMO if someone buys something like that without knowing what is involved then they deserve everything they get (or don't get ). For some a learning curve is paved with $ bills.......

Even at free it will (IMO) be overpriced (for 99%+) on a purely commercial basis - but for 1% could be made into a deal that works for them (IMO mostly from the deferred / extended payment scheme - without the need for a finance provider). Albeit that does depend on the fundamentals being good enough - and what the end product is intended to be.

$500, delivered
Old 06-02-2012, 10:18   #37

Boat: Sunbird 32
Talking Re: cheap Westsail 32 project on EBAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
One thing I did notice on the E-bay listing was no mention of the Engine status - from your comments above I see why. Personally I would have included that info in the listing - possibly with an (optimistic?) guesstimate of the cost to fix / stick an outboard on the back, and the same for some S/h sails.

Do you deliver?
I guess you are right. Although...I'm not sure what it will take to get the motor running...possibly...a battery!
Scrounging used sails at Minney's could be as little as a grand for a working suit.
Had I taken the time to get the motor going , scrounged some sails and pressure washed her.....I probably wouldn't list her for $1599. Time is money...as we all know...and I'm busy fixing up my other boat...and trying to earn a few Sheckles.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:36   #38

Look on the bright side, whoever buys it is getting a nice fridge and an OK pair of binoculars.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I guess you are right. Although...I'm not sure what it will take to get the motor running...possibly...a battery!
Scrounging used sails at Minney's could be as little as a grand for a working suit.

Had I taken the time to get the motor going , scrounged some sails and pressure washed her.....I probably wouldn't list her for $1599. Time is money...as we all know...and I'm busy fixing up my other boat...and trying to earn a few Sheckles.
A grand for s/h sails? - could well be in the low hundreds, if the buyer settles on less than perfect (in condition and fit) and is patient - not as if he will be going anywhere soon anyway, so has the time to wait for a deal .

"S/h sails could be purchased for a few hundred dollars".

From the pics of the engine I have seen far worse - as I am sure you know, a running engine would be a big plus on both the value and simply acheiving a sale, but appreciate that don't want to throw any cash / time at her (and IMO very sensible not to!):-

"Engine turns over, and is oil and water tight - but not started in recent times (Battery not fitted). The advice I have taken is that would be prudent to lift the head and also give it a thorough service before restarting - I have been quoted around $300 for that, obviously far cheaper for someone to do themselves (unfortuately not my area of expertise)".

Perhaps best to omit the bit about the advice and the quote having come from a bloke on the internet who lives half way accross the world.....and has funny coloured hair .
Old 06-02-2012, 10:46   #40
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Derelict?! Blasphemy! Look at the pure lines, this is a true W32 and after bit of soap and wax ready to take the next Volvo Ocean cup (on handicap) !

ciao!
Nick.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:49   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
There is a difference between a project boat and a derelict boat. This boat, as it appears from the pictures, is certainly a derelict and reminds me of the lost and broken shells that used to be anchored around Dinner Key Marina in Miami before they cleaned up the anchorage. In addition to its condition, the design of the boat, both outside and inside, is bizarre and irrespective of its past would not be a good candidate for restoration since even if it once again becomes functional you'll be sailing something that looks like a cross between Flash Gordon's spaceship and a backyard inflatable swimming pool. As some have responded earlier, this should be hauled, dismembered and whatever has value could be sold online. I think of the old Jazz standard "Boulevard of Broken Dreams:"
"You laugh tonight and cry tomorrow,
When you behold your shattered dreams."

Good luck and good sailing.
Amy Winehouse - "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (cover) HD @ Arena Anhembi, São Paulo, Brazil - YouTube
You clearly have no soul nor sense of adventure .

Perhaps a more appropriate Amy Winehouse song would have had the lyric:-

"They tried to make me go to rehab refurb but I said "no, no, no"
Old 06-02-2012, 11:53   #42

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
I am the person selling the boat. She is definitely a mess...but definitely solid. I spend the last week taking old junk off of her and straightening up the interior a bit. It was like an episode of "Hoarders"! I already have a Westsail...so , don't need another. She came to me through a friend of my father. I guess I should've given her a better bath!
My thoughts: bulletproof hull , motor looks great and turns...vut probably needs some work. very proper , seagoing interior. She looks strange...and the dual rudder is VERY strange , but remember ...the guy sailed this from California to Hawaii successfully.
Someone with time and elbow grease can easily clean her up , straighten out her motor and buy some used sails from Minney's...and have a pretty rock solid little cruising boat. Just my 2 cents.

Could you post the vessel's serial number please?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:14   #43
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

that is not a westsail .. maybe a ferro cement look alike?
Old 06-02-2012, 13:15   #44

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
that is not a westsail .. maybe a ferro cement look alike?
I don't believe so either, that's why I have asked the owner for the serial number to confirm.
Old 06-02-2012, 13:31   #45

Boat: PETERSON 44

From Westsail 32 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In February, 1971, S. Snyder Vick, a young electrical engineer, and his wife Lynne, bought the moulds for the Kendall 32 from Kendall Yacht Corporation. Kendall and five other employees were hired to continue production. Production started in 1969, beginning by finishing three boats for Kendall buyers for between $15,000 and $20,000 each; however, Crealock was asked to design a modified deck layout and interior, and the Westsail 32 was born.

Tags
cheap