Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 09:17   #1

Boat: 44' Antigua/CSY
Autohelm 7000 Linear type 2 drive motor

I am in desperate need of a 12 volt Linear Drive motor for Autohelm type 2 Autopilot in ANY CONDITION... Free or Buy.
Old 16-07-2016, 19:09   #2

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Autohelm 7000 Linear type 2 drive motor

There's a whole linear drive on eBay now, $500, ending in 10 hrs, no bids. Not sure how much you're looking to spend though.
Old 16-07-2016, 19:49   #3

Re: Autohelm 7000 Linear type 2 drive motor

Yes I did see that but the problem with that is I don't know how long the motor in that one will last. A new motor is extremely expensive for a 12 volt DC motor at five hundred plus shipping from UK.
The magnets came lose from inside the housing and two were broken and its' a shame because the rest of the motor/armature works fine but it seems impossible to find new magnets, and how to place them correctly is another concern.
I don't like spending that kind of money but unless I can find a used one, working or not working, to use as parts I'll have to spring for a new one.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Where are you in New York?
Old 16-07-2016, 20:03   #4

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Brooklyn/mamaroneck; whereabouts are you? I've seen people write about gluing the magnets in somehow, but never did it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-07-2016, 20:37   #5

Yes I cleaned and epoxied them but two were broken in half but I used them anyway but it didn't work. I was told it didn't matter which way they went in but I found out that they have to go in a certain way, which I was not sure as the magnets have no markings and they are half circles. So I either put them in wrong polarity or maybe the two that were broken had something to do with it.
Born in Brooklyn and lived in New York most of my life. I am currently sailing down in the Florida Keys. I've been on Wind Shadow for around three years, first year was restoring and major work, now eighty percent boredom, ten percent pure terror and ten percent maintenance, repairs and cleaning. Otherwise it's a great life!
Old 16-07-2016, 20:46   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Shadow View Post
Yes I did see that but the problem with that is I don't know how long the motor in that one will last. A new motor is extremely expensive for a 12 volt DC motor at five hundred plus shipping from UK.
The magnets came lose from inside the housing and two were broken and its' a shame because the rest of the motor/armature works fine but it seems impossible to find new magnets, and how to place them correctly is another concern.
I don't like spending that kind of money but unless I can find a used one, working or not working, to use as parts I'll have to spring for a new one.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Where are you in New York?
Yes, these drives are ridiculously expensive for having plastic gears. If I recall correct we have a thread here about someone fixing his drive motor, but I can't remember details. I would try to google something like "Autohelm linear drive motor" with a few variants, maybe add "Cruisers forum" to the front to get CF hits.
Old 17-07-2016, 08:45   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I have a Type 2L unit that I would sell. The motor is in good shape, but the drive rod binds and responds slowly, causing error messages. I was going to rebuild it for a spare, but if you can use the motor so would be willing to part with it.
Old 17-07-2016, 09:10   #8

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

We paid 350 in the US for a new motor and had the magnets of the failed motor epoxied by an alternator repair place here in Rodrigues, Indian Ocean, for 15 dollars.

Jim
Old 17-07-2016, 09:19   #9

Hello,

It it's the same motor I can surely use it. I have a thousand miles to go on my next leg and sail solo and no autopilot would make this a very hard trip. I would love to buy a new one but being retired and living below the poverty level on Social Security makes a new one impossible.
I don't know how to attach a photo on here to verify if it is the right one but I can give you all the info on the motor tag.

Ref 452-02-136
Ser No 6601/418

A 10.0

Volts 10

Hz DC

RPM 2600 N/L

o/p 75 W

RTG Cont

Insul F

Date DF

3035-006

Please let me know if this info helps? I am currently located in Marathon, Florida 33050 and my phone number is 727 906 1861.

Thank you very much,

Nicholas Russian
S/V Wind Shadow
Old 17-07-2016, 09:30   #10

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

These motors are available off the shelf in various places.
The Ray units were made by a company called LVM in the UK
An online search will give you many results, search for Low voltage Motor
Offhand I know of several manufacturers, Buhler, Mabuchi, Bosch, Siemens....
The AP manufacturers buy stock motors from MFGrs, but may change a small thing, like shaft keying, or shaft length, if you browse the catalogs you will surely find a replacement, that might, only might, require cutting the shaft shorter, and filing a flat on it. Chances are you will find the exact one.
My windlass motor cost me $120.00 approx from Robert Bosch, and the dealer wanted over $700.00
Old 17-07-2016, 09:32   #11

[QUOTE=Gaia;2168188]We paid 350 in the US for a new motor and had the magnets of the failed motor epoxied by an alternator repair place here in Rodrigues, Indian Ocean, for 15 dollars.

Jim, After the magnets were installed did the motor work? I did epoxy the magnets back and even though the armature worked on the bench the motor did not work when assembled. I found out that the magnets had to go a certain way, which I obviously did not do right. I started with three loose magnets and one broken and now after removing them I have four loose magnets and two broken ones.
Where and how long ago did you get the new motor?

Thanks,
Nicholas Russian
S/V Wind Shadow
Old 17-07-2016, 09:50   #12

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Hi Nicholas

The motor worked fine but as we have some major passage making ahead of us we bought the new one just in case. (the repaired drive is a spare) We had our in use drive fail on passage during a rough 2400 nm passage. The spare failed two hours later!

The 'in use' drive was repaired with new brushes. The spare by gluing the loose magnets as said.

We bought the motor through a friend that operates Jahaya Marine in Ft Myers. Unfortunately he is on holiday in Europe for two months but the unit came as a Raymarine part complete with the gear to Rodrigues so I assume he ordered it from Raymarine in the US.

The motor is not made by Raymarine of course and you might do better by writing to the manufacturer but it might take longer. Have you considered taking it to an electric motor repair place?

Jim

Jim
Old 17-07-2016, 12:58   #13

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Shadow View Post
I am in desperate need of a 12 volt Linear Drive motor for Autohelm type 2 Autopilot in ANY CONDITION... Free or Buy.
I have a type two that broke one year ago in the full extended position. I replaced it with a new one from West Marine at $1800. I believe the motor is in good working condition, but have not tested it.

I will sell for $300 plus freight. I live in South Carolina. Email me at pwmullins@aol.com if interested.
Old 17-07-2016, 13:00   #14

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

I have one that I will sell for $300 plus freight. pwmullins@aol.com if interested.
Old 17-07-2016, 13:31   #15

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Check with Dan at: dan@mydurango.net He sells parts, complete units and does repairs on all types of autos including LCD replacement. Very reliable.

Tags
autohelm, helm, motor