Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 13:20   #571

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Boiler thermostat

Scott, thanks a lot, I am going to try. However, I will not go as low as 132 F, this is just 55 degrees C and you need according to people in Europe 60 C, around 140F, to avoid Legionella and that is a disease you don't want for sure. Also I like the long shower time you get with really hot water. I will consider mounting a thermostatic water mixer just after the boiler that mixes the hot boiler water with cold water to get to a stable 65 Centigrade. Gives more hot water, avoids burns, better for the plastic piping. Uses no energy. Another winter job.....
Old 24-11-2008, 13:25   #572

Boat: Mahe 36
Jef,
What you describe is all very easily handled by the Yahoo group. If you look at the gemini site there is a files section where people have posted a folder with their boat. In each of these folders people post pictures of their modifications and descriptions of what they did including part numbers etc. Also, if you search their posts you can find any that dealt with, for example, problems with the water heater. I found this sort of site very useful but it does depend on people contributing their information.
I went to the yahoo group site and it looks easy (and free) to set one up.
Lori
Old 24-11-2008, 14:48   #573

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Hot Water Mixer

Jef, I would be very interested in how you instal the water mixer. I am terified I will kill another hose (I'm out of spares). Can we use a different hose or are we stuck with that one. I can't find them anywhere. Also the Yahoo Group is like a great idea.
Lonnie
Old 24-11-2008, 18:25   #574

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Jasco toilets

When you replace the Joker Valve, make sure to change the "Base Valve Gasket" also. This will prevent spill back into the bowl.
See diagram attached.

Always pump a gallon or more of fresh water before replacing, so the fresh water is the only thing that leaks back into the bowl. The exit pipe goes up three feet, so you have to fill it with fresh water first.

To pro-long the time between changing the Joker and Base valves.
1) keep the intake valve closed.
2) Leave a cup in the sink and when flushing just use a cup or more of fresh water from the sink. The problem is that the urine takes the salt out of the ocean water and creates calcuim deposits on the rubber valves and then they can not seal shut.

3) The Joker valve can be cleaned and stored with a rubber band holding it in the closed position for a month and than can be reused again.
4) The Base valve usually has to be replaced every time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jabsco Toilet.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	14846  
Old 24-11-2008, 18:40   #575

Hi Mark, I notice you still show your boat as a "Catalina 380"?
Old 24-11-2008, 18:43   #576

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Hi Lonnie,
I should change that to boat less.
Or should I say Mahe wanabe
Mark
Old 24-11-2008, 18:50   #577

Keep working at it, we had a great sail from Stamford to Norfolk. You will love the boat. We are in Wilmington NC, getting that gelcoat work done. Hope to be back on the water soon. I agree with your toilet fix, I changed all the parts that came in that little bag of goodies, but just once. That was after 7 months, and we use ours alot!
Good Luck on your boat search!
Old 25-11-2008, 04:15   #578

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Lonnie, how to install the thermostatic mixer is described on page 13/63 of the boiler's manual. This shows a thermostatic mixer as supplied by Sigmar Marine and the proposed installation below the boiler. Problem might be that there is not enough space below the boiler, and you have to mount it in another location using an extra connection hose.
See this page attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boiler thermostatic mixer002.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	14847  
Old 25-11-2008, 05:54   #579

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Mark
Thanks for the info, I'm pretty much doing what you suggest, but I haven't replaced the Base Valve everytime. I'll start doing that now.
Lonnie, If you stop in my area on your way to the Bahamas, would love to get together.

Scott
Old 25-11-2008, 07:48   #580

Boat: Alura 30
hi everyone.
I am reading about all the problems you all have had. I am very lucky so far.About the toilet,every week I pour about half a cup of cooking oil to keep everything lubricated,so far I haven't had to replace anything yet. The hot water line blew up,steam everywhere,but it was fixed,what I do is turn off the hot water heater switch off when not in use,no sense to use power when we are not expecting to use hot water.My electronic so far is doing good.I still do need to go up the mast and ckeck everything,I am not to crazy about doing that.....JC.
Old 27-11-2008, 15:50   #581

wow this has always been a great thread but after reading all of this there seems to be some issues with parts. alot of changes after 7mths as hot water heater explosions, toilets leaking after use hatches leaking squeeking floors replacing doors ect. i have read other threads and dont see this many isssues with them is tha becuse they just dont write about it or are the parts they are using a little cheaper to keep the price down. dont they use the same materials as there more exspencive boats.
Old 27-11-2008, 16:17   #582

Boat: Mahe 36
Just for another perspective, I havent had any of those problems. Toilet works fine and hot water is just right. A little squeaking that was easily fixed. My boat is hull #60 and has got 7000NM under her belt. Of course I have had other issues but then I haven't owned a boat that didn't have some problems. Overall I would say that maintenance and repair so far is about what I would expect.
Lori
Old 28-11-2008, 04:49   #583

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I agree with Lori, I may have had some issues, but over all I'm pleased with the boat. I have never owned a boat that I did not have to do repairs/fix things. The only thing I'm really upset with are the Furuno Electronics, which they are in the process of replacing.
Everything had been covered under warranty except the toilets, and I'll try Mark's suggestion of always replacing the bottom gasket with the Joker Valve and see what happens.
I also would point out that this forum is helpful because we as owners have the ability to share our issues and Ideas.
Randall, if you read thru this thread you will see a lot of positive comments from the owners (please discard all comments from those that have no experience with this boat and there are a few). I'll still state that the boat is one of the best values in a Multihull and I have owned "Oceanview" for almost 2 years and 3500 NM's. That says something.

Scott
Old 28-11-2008, 09:21   #584

ok good to know I really like the boat at the miami boat show aslo. i think all the info here is great esp since it is owners. good to see how many miles are being put on them. this boat is still at the top of my list for price. they di seem to take care of the issues.
Old 30-11-2008, 16:11   #585
DtM

For an entry level boat it is very good value and is well fitted out.
Are there little issues, yes.
Some of the issues seem to be systemic, eg hotwater systems.
I am having a Furuno problem. Others have had Furuno problems.
Squeaking comes and goes but is not an huge issue.

BUT overall this is a great little boat and it has enabled me to introduce my wife to regular sailing in a comfortable, safe, fun environment. We have roast dinners sitting at anchor with beautiful wine and peace. My only wish is to increase our days on board from most weekends to weeks at a time.

Sail handling is easy (I have made a few modifications). Our bimini is great (a raised and expanded version of the factory bimini).

No boat is perfect. There are waranty issues but hopefully the local dealer will help you out. that is part of what you have to assess when you make the decision to purchase. Make some enquiries so you know what you are gettign yourself in for.
If you can, buy one and get out and enjoy.

Good sailing.

daniel
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36