Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 16:38   #1

Mahe 36 Evolution

Has anyone seen the Hard Top version of the Mahe 36? Any informed comments?
BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 00:40   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Here's a website for the new evolution. It has lots of photos on it.
Can't say I like the look of hardtop.
Rozzie
http://www.catamaran-mahe-evolution.com/
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:28   #3

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
It looks like the same design used for the original bimini, with an integrated seat. I really disliked the bimini design, it was a head knocker. Everytime I went to port side, I would hit my head. In fact, at the Annapolis show last year F-P had to hang a sign saying "watch your head!" on the bimini's port side.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 14:53   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Mahe Evolution

I have to say that I don't like the looks of the new hardtop and seat. With the old design, hard top partial in middle and canvas extension, we were able to add on and cover the steering position and it looks like it belongs and fits in. I don't know how you would cover the steering position with the new hard top.
Also with the old design, we got a round cushion covered with the blue and white strip that fits over the bar backrest, so it matches the one in the main cockpit.
The head changes are nice with the shelve and mirror, and I like the added seat in the saloon, but it looks like the fridge was moved to the nav position or is that a freezer, not sure.

I can't figure out what is in the position of the fridge, is it a cabinet or something else. The oven being moved up is good, might allow for more cabinet space. Also the flat counters surrounding the settee is different. Now with them being sunken, nothing can slide off. Not that that happens often, but it's one more thing to be concerned about.
Overall, Im just not sure about the overall changes, seems like they build the boat for the weekend sailor or charters, not cruising.
We love our 2010 Mahe, no complaints, we live aboard full time and are cruising in Australia.
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:10   #5

Boat: Alura 30
I really don't like the new setting...just like the lipari bimini.It looks weird and not very pracctical. I am anxious to actually see one to make a jugdment.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 02:10   #6

Boat: Foutaine Pajot Mahé 36 Evolution (#126)
My Mahé is an evolution version and I like the couple of new equipments embedded in this upgraded version. Obviously, it is not radically different but the hard top bimini makes a real difference in particular when looking for a liveaboard option. Other than that, the extra seat in the saloon as well as the front openings and updated heads are pretty nice and convenient.
Do no hesitate if you have questions or need info on this version.
Clipperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 08:35   #7

Hey guys, I've been following the Mahe post for some time and am seriously considering getting one in the future. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on how they would modify the new Evolution hard top to provide some helm protection? I've seen some of the great mods JC and some of the others have come up with for the soft tops. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Chris
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 09:01   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Helm Bimini

Chris,

Here are some Helm Bimini examples that my help.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f136/bimini-38307-3.html#post586510

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 14:12   #9

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
The Mahe 36 Evolution "Duo" and the Lipari 41 " Owners version " are both very high on my wife and I's short list. While the new hard top follows the same general line as the original bimini we feel it greatly adds to the overall look of the boat. This just goes to show what some people don't like others love. As far as banging my head into the low hard top Its a price I'm willing to pay. I will eventually learn to duck........eventually.

I don't think there is much you can do with the hard top or other custom bimini's given the height of the saloon roof and the position of the boom so in my mind the hard top works about as good as any of the other custom tops I have seen. There is a smallish bimini available to go over the top of the helm that looks pretty good and If we do ultimately get a Mahe we will include it. The other things I would want is an additional freezer in the position of the original fridge and composting heads. Never again will I own a standard marine head after dealing with the smell and hassle of holding tanks , frequent pump outs , and securing y valves. At the end of 09 we ripped out the old head in our Hunter 30T and installed an Airhead composting toilet and have never looked back. I highly recommend that upgrade for anyone planning a new boat. No smell at all
and a cruising couple can go a month or more before having to empty the compost. The urine on the other hand has to be emptied every couple of days but that only takes a couple of minutes to accomplish.

Fair winds
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 16:10   #10

Airhead toilet

Can one spec out a compost toilet for a new boat?
BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:59   #11

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Spending 300k + I'm sure they will forgo installing a standard marine head in favor of a simple 4 bolt installation. I'm am not sure the factory will deal with the manufacturer of the composting head so the way I will approach it is to have them discount the cost of the standard head install and ship them the new units.

Fair Winds
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23   #12

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
With F-P, if it is not on thier options list, they will not install it.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Mahe boat review article

Thanks, Clipperton for finding this nice Mahe boat review article for us.

http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/french-evolution-Mahe-36-Evolution.pdf
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36