Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 19:34   #16

Boat: Cat:Fontaine Pajot, Lavazzi 40ft
We think perhaps the system we have is not the original, and no, not the same as the Belize here in our marina.
During light winds it's simply an irritant, and a problem that we never experienced in our monohull..so maybe our expectations are too high. But on 2 occassions when we have had to up anchor in stronger winds (20/25 knots) it has been a real pain, and definitely a 2 person job (unlike the monohull)..One on the control the other at helm.
Another irritant is the fact that as the chain stows itself in the locker it piles up rapidly and fills the cavity and requires constant shifting to allow space for more chain, otherwise it spills over and goes out of control altogether. We have yet to conquer that annoyance.
Our Lavezzi is very new, to us, and we are readying it for an open sea passage. But it doesn't get ticks in all the boxes. How do you like your Belize, Dotdun? Have u done much open sea in it?
Have you any advice for 'green' sailors? We will be going fm NZ to Tonga first up; with the rally involved in the infamous Queens Birthday Rally. We have a para sail, a drogue, 2 anchors, 2 epirbs..and we are getting non slip orange paint on bridgedeck.
And we've read "capsized' about the Rose Noelle. Other than that we read the Dashews and this forum (of recent). How important is weight? Experience in big seas? Will auto pilot and a drogue handle it more often than not, when the going gets tough?
Thanks.
leelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
I like the Belize, it's a very well built boat. No, I haven't done any major crossings, unfortunately, I still work full time! We have spent up to 30 hours in 30-40 knot winds/12 foot seas 100 miles off shore. Although not exactly 'fun', I never feared for our safety. On a recent 80 mile crossing, we did enjoy 30-35k winds at beam, 5-7 foot seas, triple-reefed, running 8 knots for 10-12 hours. We were fortunate to be in the lee of land, at most no more than 20 miles offshore (which held the seas down). Yes, this is sailing at it's best!

If I were planning your crossing, I would be equally or more worried about the crew. The boat is easy to prepare, it sounds like you are gathering the correct safety gear, although I didn't see you list a life raft (I carry a six-person off-shore Winslow). I'm not sure I would put the orange non-skid paint on my decks, with the proper footwear, I've never noticed a slippery deck, but then I don't spend much time going forward in rough weather. I do utilize jacklines/tethers/harnesses. Never is there a time in rough weather (or night time) when only one crew is on deck without being tied on, even when just sitting at the helm.

So, a well trained crew would be my number one concern. Most accounts of problems in weather can be traced to a mis-judgement by a tired/over worked crew. Minimum, two that know what to do in bad weather. One can be getting some rest while the other is handling the boat. Once the boat is stablized, storm sails set, pointed well, etc. one crew must rest while the other watches for changes. I'm always very conservative, first reef at 18k, 2nd at 24k, and 3rd at 30k. I'll starting pulling sails down between 35k-40K, point it into the wind and ride it out. The major difference I see is that in my experience, I can point it into the wind with the engines as fuel is never a problem while coastal cruising. In your case, you need to maintain pointing using the para-anchor. I carry a 16 footer, but never have deployed it. Practice with that would be a must for me.

My experience with the autopilot is good/less than good. I think they respond to slowly. Dead downwind, mine is useless, but of course, so is an in-experienced helmsman downwind. Again, I don't have the experience above 35-40 knots for extended periods of time, so I can't help here.

I haven't sailed the Levezzi, but comparing it with the Belize, I would tend to stay as light as possible in the front. I carry 4 anchors/200 feet 3/8 BB chain and then load up 160gal. of water and now I'm approaching 1800lbs. forward of the mast. Add to that the stores in the forepeaks. If I were planning a big crossing, I would move as much aft as possible, if not simply leave something at home. I have seen 2 feet of water above my genaker furler diving into a 12 footer. That will make you appreciate the net vs. a solid deck forward!

I would not be afraid of the Levezzi, or any FP boat. I would be afraid of crew mistakes that no boat, no matter how well built, would be able to overcome.

Good Luck in your journey!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45   #18

Thanks, Dotdun, for all of that.
its the under side of the bridgedeck that is getting
oranged and non slipped...and we do have a liferaft. How often should they be checked? Its only 2 yrs old and am loathe to pay unnecessarily (for the checkup)
We have a Ray Marine auto pilot that worked well in our one time passage,at 35 knots, broad reach downwind,seas less than 2 metres, but no doubt different seas different effects.
We have a friend that after 4 yrs offshore is selling his monohull.(Beneteau 47). He began with limited experience (Lake Michigan only) and in his 4 yrs never had anything over 35 knots. It would be good to be as lucky, but ultimately it means that even yrs at sea might not equip one with the desired experience to cope well in dire straights..eg to know how best to steer down/up/across the face of waves. We are reading everything we can find, and the skipper's an engineer so he's on top of the electronics etc (we rewired as originally european..and not impressed with it ). Today a man fm Yachting NZ is coming to check the boat out, but we already know it does not meet the requirements for Cat 1 here in NZ. Were it a NZ registered boat it would not be allowed to go offshore, without quite a bit of effort and money (eg plastic covered lifelines are out due to that regulation in Australia). Fortunately (or not) we registered it in Canada. The Lavezzi book says its designed for up to 8, on the Beaufort scale. is the Belize similar?
The yacht man will simply give us advice, check out the boat and point out deficiencies (if any). I want to be sure that when we go offshore we end up at our desired shore (first stop, Tonga).
Thanks very much for your help. And when u do retire I recommend NZ as a sailing mecca. We will return.
Old 09-02-2008, 15:16   #19

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
My experience with the autopilot is good/less than good. I think they respond to slowly. Dead downwind, mine is useless, but of course, so is an in-experienced helmsman downwind. Again, I don't have the experience above 35-40 knots for extended periods of time, so I can't help here.

I would not be afraid of the Levezzi, or any FP boat. I would be afraid of crew mistakes that no boat, no matter how well built, would be able to overcome.

Good Luck in your journey!
I agree with DotDun on most issues here.

I would suggest reading up on how to adjust and tune your autopilot. Too many people don't understand the terminology.

There are 2 important parameters that you can adjust, depending on sea state and wind direction. Different manufacturers call these different terms.
One is the "response", i.e. how fast you want it to respond to course deviations.
The other is the "amplification" i.e. how strongly it responds.
If you have one of the more expensive autopilots. then some of these have an "auto-tune" or "intelligent" function where they optimise themselves. Check this out, and see if you need to switch this function on, or when it will start working - getting an understanding is the key here.

Once you have it set up nearly correctly, you can fiddle with these functions to minimise power usage. When conditions change alot, then you can adjust these parameters again.

I have sailed my Tobago in 40 knots with the wind about 15-25 degrees off the stern -full main, autopilot for 1― days - didn't touch the wheel.

Enjoy your new boat, she will take good care of you I'm sure.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
I would suggest reading up on how to adjust and tune your autopilot. Too many people don't understand the terminology.
Yep, I've read the book and played with the settings, but like you say, most of the terminolgy is not understood (and I'm a computer geek!). My Raymarine AP is a couple revs of software back, I'd like to upgrade it. I've been less than impressed with the way it's working at present.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee View Post
and we do have a liferaft. How often should they be checked? Its only 2 yrs old and am loathe to pay unnecessarily (for the checkup)
Winslow wants to see them annually, but like you, I don't like paying for something that isn't necessary. My threshold is about every 3 years. I do store mine below under a berth, cool and dry (AC running in dehumid mode for storage). Of course on a crossing it's under the cockpit table ready to go, along with the ditch bag.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Yep, I've read the book and played with the settings, but like you say, most of the terminolgy is not understood (and I'm a computer geek!). My Raymarine AP is a couple revs of software back, I'd like to upgrade it. I've been less than impressed with the way it's working at present.

One reason that they can be difficult to tune is if there is too much travel in the steering system(if it is a wheel pilot).

I can never remember the terminology, but one is "response" that defines how fast the pilot reacts to being off course . The other is "reaction" or how strongly it reacts. A third one can be setting up some kind of "window" where it does not react to minor deviations. (saves energy).

Some of the fancier models have so called smart algorithms that use an input from a gyro as well as accelerometers to measure yaw, pitch etc. They then tune the basic parameters for optimum control. Sometimes this function needs to be toggled ON.

Basically all autopilots use some kind of PID control, see:PID controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The course programmed into the autopilot is the set-point. The feedback is the actual compass course sailed.

I hope this helps a bit

Alan
Old 10-02-2008, 14:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
One reason that they can be difficult to tune is if there is too much travel in the steering system(if it is a wheel pilot).

I can never remember the terminology, but one is "response" that defines how fast the pilot reacts to being off course . The other is "reaction" or how strongly it reacts. A third one can be setting up some kind of "window" where it does not react to minor deviations. (saves energy).

Some of the fancier models have so called smart algorithms that use an input from a gyro as well as accelerometers to measure yaw, pitch etc. They then tune the basic parameters for optimum control. Sometimes this function needs to be toggled ON.

Basically all autopilots use some kind of PID control, see:PID controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The course programmed into the autopilot is the set-point. The feedback is the actual compass course sailed.

I hope this helps a bit

Alan
Now you got me wanting to play!

I throw rocks at it, but it does a decent job. I just think it takes too long to settle down when given a track by the chartplotter. I've tried playing with it a few times, but never seem to get it where I think it should be.

I'll do some reading a play around with it.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:51   #24

I am looking for a recommendation for a good, simplistic, with pictures of clouds, weather faxes etc..weather book. I figure most people advise to use your own nouse when it comes to weather, but it presumes a knowledge I am yet to aquire. We have McDavitts Mariners Met Pack and a US edition of Coastal and offshore Weather by Parker..but I cant see clearly yet. Any titles u can recommend?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee View Post
I am looking for a recommendation for a good, simplistic, with pictures of clouds, weather faxes etc..weather book. I figure most people advise to use your own nouse when it comes to weather, but it presumes a knowledge I am yet to aquire. We have McDavitts Mariners Met Pack and a US edition of Coastal and offshore Weather by Parker..but I cant see clearly yet. Any titles u can recommend?

The Weather Handbook by Alan Watts.

ISBN 1 84037 0890

Published by Waterline books

Lots of nice colour pictures and diagrams

Regards

Alan
Old 11-02-2008, 12:31   #26

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I am currently reading Steve Dashew's book whick is quite good as it is written specifically with sailors in mind. I do have a few beefs however. The info is a bit thin concerning some imprtant concepts (or is it that I am just a bit slow?) and it iincludes a lot of useless information in the form of old weather reports that could have been left out. Also, the book could benefit from a thorough proofreading as there are many mistakes, and it is a bit pricey for the amount of material. All in all a very usefull text though and a very worthwhile read.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 03:55   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A very basic article “Reading Weather Charts”:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...arts-7607.html

There's lots more applicable CruisersForum threads, including:

Reading a weather map - wind
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wind-6013.html

Weather Hints:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ints-1785.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 16:45   #28

Hello
Atention for de gennaker for Lavezzi 40. I am a Lavezzi honer and I buy one to Fontainne Pajot and they send me a gennaker that dont work well. Why? Because they put a barra under the net so you canīt use it and becames very dangerous.I sherche for a solution but I donīt find one so far.
The Lavezzi is a very good and fun catamaran and itīs beautiful !
Sorry the english I am portuguese

Luis
pereirasoares.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 13:35   #29

Boat: dreaming of a Lavezzi or Fusion 40'
*bumping the thread for any updates on this boat*

From everything I've read this is like the boat I'm looking at purchasing for my cruiser. Still haven't hit the buy now button on picking one up.

I was hoping to find out how they handle on Trans Atlantic trips?

I'm also curious on what other kit ppl have added to their Lavezzi to make living aboard more comfortable.
vveerrgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 13:52   #30

furuno F50

Hi every one! I'm new FP owner Love our boat but we are having problems with the electronics since the first week, Furuno has been very helpful and giving us all the support but the equipment works one week and stops.

Did someone had the same problem?

Can someone help!
thanks
lavi08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Lavezzi