Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 02:38   #241

Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:10   #242

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Wkstar,

Thanks for sharing this picture! Obviously these davits are similar to those of the Lucia 40 and not like what I was told. Hmmm.

Christophe
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:01   #243

Boat: Maxum 2800 SCI Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear06 View Post
For those concerned with the port head separating wall Please note. The divider wall between the port aft shower stall and port forward wet head had about an inch gap on the floor between the two heads. (In case no one looked down).
I actually did notice that as well yesterday when I went through the vessel. I was not pleased with that gap. I could stick my fingers under the wall at the drainage channel in the moulded flooring which goes to the drain. I will get a better photo of what I mean today. Also the wall in between was held up by screwing the wall into place as to making it a permanent wall between the two heads. I'm sure it could easily be glassed over and made water tight but in my opinion, separate heads should be exactly that... separate heads with permanent walls dividing the two rooms.

Overall the vessel is very well made and designed. I do like it very much. Granted my first look was through rose colored glasses. I'll be going back today to get it a thorough look through while taking photos of each of its problem/questionable as well as other very likeable features.
Rdhdandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:57   #244

Boat: Maxum 2800 SCI Cruiser

Here is a photo of the platform Davits. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_115122.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	178565Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_115126.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	178566
Rdhdandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 13:47   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlemaire View Post
I think this might be a hose hookup in the chain locker:

On this picture I made on hull nbr 1 you can see the hose in more detail (La Grande Motte boat show)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	178595
JanPieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 15:03   #246
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Christophe - thanks for all the additional pictures and video. Very helpful. I've just got off a teleconference with DY and FP trying to sort out our situation with them. Their production delays are due to not being able to hire enough new people for their expanded production.
As you've said, the guys at FP really seem to believe that most people don't have an issue with their central shower despite it being the number 1 issue on any FP owners site. I guess if you don't listen to customers, you won't know. I see from these pictures and comments above that they have the same issue (a gap) when you go for the rear full shower anyway. Crazy.
They are coming back to me to re-commit to that delivery date this week as well as looking at shipping options to hit our charter bookings.
Old 07-10-2018, 20:18   #247
MAE

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be missing . Just catching up to what our American friends think of the Astrea. Some great comments....yes I have the salt water pump in the anchor locker presumably this could be fresh water, the platform is simple to use too early as yet to make a cost / convenience evaluation really all personal choices.

We have just completed a 700 NM shake down cruise on Hull #2 along the East coast of Australia. We had wind from astern to 38kts to no wind & motoring, storms & sunshine. The boat just superb!The living space so comfortable.
Sorry to learn of delivery problems ...I had heard the factory is arranging new premises for the Astrea production ...this may take a little time to show the benefit. As far as the heads shower stall etc whilst gaps are the reality, so long as they are waterproof? They are certainly not sound proof as I found on the recent trip, and the bonus you get two faucet showers in the head cabins,plus the deck. As an old charterer what luxury!Enjoy the Show cheers Al
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:50   #248

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanPieter View Post
On this picture I made on hull nbr 1 you can see the hose in more detail (La Grande Motte boat show)Attachment 178595

Your picture confused me because Hull #3 didn't have the hose in that location. I did find it in the locker however. It was just plumbed into a slightly different location in the forward part of the locker.

Spent a couple of more hours on the boat the last day of the boat show. The more the wife and I looked at it the more we've realized that we've absolutely made the right choice in purchasing the Astrea 42. The only decision we have left is davits or lift platform.

Spoke with the ACY Charter person yesterday in an attempt to charter hull #3 for a test sail. Unfortunately, it isn't in their charter fleet but is a private sale and is due to finish commissioning with it departing mid November for the St. Petersburg (?) boat show in December. Sigh. I guess I just have to wait for mine.
Off the Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:26   #249

Boat: FP Astrea 42 Hull #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Hook View Post
Spoke with the ACY Charter person yesterday in an attempt to charter hull #3 for a test sail. Unfortunately, it isn't in their charter fleet but is a private sale and is due to finish commissioning with it departing mid November for the St. Petersburg (?) boat show in December. Sigh. I guess I just have to wait for mine.
I spent a couple hours aboard the Astrea on opening day at the Annapolis show Thursday 10/4/18. Overall impression ... I love it, and can't wait to sail her. Ours is named Brown Eyed Girl (Hull #6) which was completed last week. After commissioning she'll be shipped to Guadeloupe then sailed to the BVI. We are excited to be sailing her in early December, but thereafter she's available for charter this season if you, or any of the rest of our community of owners/prospective buyers, are interested in the opportunity to sail the Astrea for yourself before buying or while awaiting delivery. Please feel free to Post or PM me here on the forum.
brownman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 18:50   #250

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...

We had a deposit down on a July 2020 build - we decided to give it up as we didn’t think the interior space and the sun deck was quite what we were looking for (a bit smaller than our Helia). Now probably changing to a 45. Though I don’t love plunking down a lot of money on a boat I can’t see!!! ��
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26   #251

Anybody ordered the davit system with Astrea from FP? I do not see the davit option in Factory option price list but I can see Davit winch etc.... Is Davit system standard?
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 13:40   #252

I wonder if spots will open up in the Astrea production line as people make a choice to move the the FP 45?
gstvsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:40   #253

Hello,
has anyone in this group been on the Grand Pavois exhibition in La Rochelle between September 26th and October 01st 2018?
I would be extremely thankful to receive some pictures of the Astrea they showed there, especially the cockpit area.
Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance,
CruiserUser
CruiserUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:43   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleedooroo View Post
Anybody ordered the davit system with Astrea from FP? I do not see the davit option in Factory option price list but I can see Davit winch etc.... Is Davit system standard?
Davits are standard if you do not order the platform. Unfortunately quite short, the RIB is scratching along the rear side of the boat, you can hardly bring it up alone. I highly recommend the electric winch unless you have a very light weight dinghy to hoist.
Old 14-10-2018, 08:31   #255

Just in case the questions around the Davit block setup are still of interest, a short description here. I went for the Davits instead of the platform.
As you see in the picture posted above the Davits are all straight, mounted in quite an angle upwards. The lifting ropes are fixed with rope clutches on the top side, one on each Davit rod. Good to reach from the rear bench.
Just in front of each clutch there is a low friction mini block without any pulley, mounted in a 45° angle to guide the rope from the locking block to the port side end of the rear bench. Here is another low friction block mounted, that works like a "collector" and guide. Both ropes from both Davits go through here and are led towards the winch. The winch is mounted to the port side end of the bench and can be used for operating both ropes, one at a time.
Works OK, lifting a rather heavy dinghy seems no problem for all that hardware. I went for the electric winch after some experience with a similar setup on a Helia in the past.
Just as mentioned above, the length of the Davits is just too short to have some clearance between the hull and the dinghy, I went for a Highfield CL340, width is around 1.7m. The height of the dinghy when in topmost position is nice, all out of the way, no danger of higher waves coming through the tunnel to hit the dinghy or the outboard. This was an issue with the Helia we had.
Sorry that I took no pictures that I could post, will be back on the boat probably two weeks from now.
As the discussion around the split bathroom is going on, just a comment on the "standard configuration 1" with equal sized showers I have on the boat. They seem to use always the same "inner plastic shell" with the center sink. Just as on the pictures above taken on hull #3, also on mine the center wall ends a bit over the "grill", just in the middle of that area. So also this configuration is neither isolated or "sound proof". An extra problem with this version is that the waste water tank access is blocked by the center wall.
So whatever design you go for, forget about real privacy in that bathrooms.
Regards,
CruiserUser