Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 10:51   #16
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Where to get free Charts for East Canada / Nova Scotia ?

No, does not depend from the source. The license period is defined a the period you will receive updates. The charts do not expire.
All the cell permits are handled equal under the S-63 standard.

Chart shall not disappear afterwards. Think in a situation where the owner of a tanker did forget to renew the licenses. Do you think the vessel should be "in the dark" from one moment to the other?

We did license our charts from Chartworld as well. But the licenses from AHS, Admiralty or others are working all the same.

And as the responsible to negotiate on behalf of OpenCPN with the IHO and chart providers you can trust us in this field I believe.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:17   #17

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Skip, I got the raster charts from the Canadian Government contractor. Don't get the printable charts as finding someone who can print them in a large format is a problem. The atl series is a decent deal.

I still like raster charts as I think that they give better information but that may be just an old guy's view.
AnsleyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:44   #18

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
No, does not depend from the source. The license period is defined a the period you will receive updates. The charts do not expire.

Chart shall not disappear afterwards. Think in a situation where the owner of a tanker did forget to renew the licenses. Do you think the vessel should be "in the dark" from one moment to the other?

We did license our charts from Chartworld as well. But the licenses from AHS, Admiralty or others are working all the same.

And as the responsible to negotiate on behalf of OpenCPN with the IHO and chart providers you can trust us in this field I believe.

Hubert
OK Thanks - I'll try and resurrect mine when next at the boat.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 13:29   #19
bcn

Please follow the steps outlined above - and report back!
Perhaps a different thread - but that is up to you
Old 27-10-2015, 14:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Hubert
I found this post at Cruiserforum: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1943441

It seems in the reply from Chartworld that S63 maps will stop working ?? This needs to be clearified futher !
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 00:08   #21
bcn

Petter,

expired S-63 charts don't stop to show.
The standard does not cover this and it would be a function of OCPN/the S-63 plug-in to stop drawing the charts. Does not happen.

Let'e have a look at the S-63 standard:
Quote:
Expiry Date:
This is the date when the Data Clients licence expires. Systems must prevent any new ENC cells, new editions or updates created after this date from being installed.
and

Quote:
10.5.5 Check Cell Permit Expiry Date
When installing a new PERMIT.TXT file the Data Client system must check that the permits being installed have not expired. The system must check that the expiry date of each permit against the system date (Computer Clock) and if available the time from the GPS receiver/signal. If the permits have expired the following message should be displayed as follows:
“SSE 15 - Subscription service has expired. Please contact your data supplier to renew the subscription licence.”
NOTE: The system may install expired/valid permits but any cells subsequently displayed in the viewer under these conditions MUST display a permanent warning to the user as follows:
“SSE 25 - The ENC Permit for this cell has expired. This cell may be out of date and MUST NOT be used for NAVIGATION.”
explaining the SSE25 error message
Quote:
SSE 25 must be returned if the stored ENC permit for any given cell has expired. It should be possible to view the cell but a permanent warning message must be displayed informing the user, e.g. “The permit for ENC<cell name> has expired. This cell may be out of date and MUST NOT be used for Primary NAVIGATION”.
So OCPN does show expired cells.

That a Chartworld representative wants to sell charts or perhaps has to deal with systems that behave differently (and not standard conform), that's another story...

So let's see what Afinite's test will bring up. There is something going wrong with his install. He shall see his expired cells.

Hubert
Old 28-10-2015, 10:46   #22

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Tks folks for all the input.... you are very helpfully.

I will head now to the next question I suppose I will find the answers in the forum: Can I use "Electronic charts" on a Linux based desktop ? - As I plan to work + live on a boat front coast of NovaSoctia, and over last years swapping slowly away from Microsoft running Linux I'd think about a fully Linux based computer network on board.

For now I know only the French navigation software Olex by "Magic Instinct" which offers a Unix/Linux solution.

But this is another/new topic on its own I wont follow on this thread otherwise we'd end in a messie data chaos. :-)
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 11:36   #23
bcn

Take a walk through the manual!

The development work for OCPN is mainly done under Linux....
Old 28-10-2015, 13:39   #24
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
You mean this, Ansley ? - These old charts are "PODs" = Print on Demand maps... or does exist an "electronic version" too ?

Atlantic Coast Sailing Directions

ATL 100E General Information, Atlantic Coast, 2007 $14.95
ATL 101E Newfoundland, Northeast and East Coasts, 1997 $14.95
ATL 102E Newfoundland and Labrador, East and South Coasts, 2008 $14.95
ATL 103E Newfoundland and Labrador, Southwest Coast, 2010 $13.95
ATL 104E Cape North to Cape Canso (including Bras d’Or Lake), 2010 $14.95
ATL 105E Cape Canso to Cape Sable (including Sable Island), 2001 $18.95
ATL 106E Gulf of Maine and Bay of Fundy, 2001 $18.95
ATL 107E Saint John River, 2009 $14.95
ATL 108E Gulf of St. Lawrence (Southwest Portion), 2006 $20.95
ATL 109E Gulf of St. Lawrence (Northeast Portion), 2006 $19.95
ATL 110E
St. Lawrence River, Cap Whittle/Cap Gaspé to Les Escoumins and Anticosti Island, 2011 $10.95
ATL 111E St. Lawrence River, Île Verte to Québec and Fjord du Saguenay, 2007 $9.95
ATL 112E St. Lawrence River, Cap-Rouge to Montréal and Rivière Richelieu, 2009 $9.95
ATL 120E Labrador, Camp Islands to Hamilton Inlet (including Lake Melville), 2004 $18.95
ATL 121E
Labrador, Hamilton Inlet to Cape Chidley (including Button Islands and Gray Strait), 2004 $18.95
Those are not charts...

"Sailing Directions" - otherwise known as "Coast Pilots", are informational books, to be used as a supplement to nautical charts...

I've found the Sailing Directions published by the US goernment for Atlantic Canada to be quite good, and they're available for free:

http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...5/Pub145bk.pdf
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 16:34   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
Tks folks for all the input.... you are very helpfully.

I will head now to the next question I suppose I will find the answers in the forum: Can I use "Electronic charts" on a Linux based desktop ? - As I plan to work + live on a boat front coast of NovaSoctia, and over last years swapping slowly away from Microsoft running Linux I'd think about a fully Linux based computer network on board.

For now I know only the French navigation software Olex by "Magic Instinct" which offers a Unix/Linux solution.

But this is another/new topic on its own I wont follow on this thread otherwise we'd end in a messie data chaos. :-)
Olex is a software made by the Norwegian company "Olex" Olex: Main Page The software is running under Linux and is targeting Fishery, research and survey. It's a great software and has many nice features for the mentioned target group who is willing to pay for the specialized commercial features.

Opencpn will do the same as Olex for you and even a lot more through the avalable plugins but you will lack some of the features targeted professional users. I know both Opencpn and Olex well and can confirm that Opencpn will run perfect under Ubuntu Linux 14.04
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 01:59   #26

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Petter,

expired S-63 charts don't stop to show.
The standard does not cover this and it would be a function of OCPN/the S-63 plug-in to stop drawing the charts. Does not happen.

Let'e have a look at the S-63 standard:

and

explaining the SSE25 error message

So OCPN does show expired cells.

That a Chartworld representative wants to sell charts or perhaps has to deal with systems that behave differently (and not standard conform), that's another story...

So let's see what Afinite's test will bring up. There is something going wrong with his install. He shall see his expired cells.

Hubert
I'm afraid that I will not be able to test my S63 chart installation for a few months as my nav computer is on the boat and I will not be back until spring next year. Its frustrating not to able to bottom this issue but Huberts reassurances are encouraging.
Please ignore my (perhaps ill-informed) comments that S63 charts may not display after license expiry date.
Regards
Steve
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 05:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Olex is a software made by the Norwegian company "Olex" Olex: Main Page The software is running under Linux and is targeting Fishery, research and survey. It's a great software and has many nice features for the mentioned target group who is willing to pay for the specialized commercial features.

Opencpn will do the same as Olex for you and even a lot more through the avalable plugins but you will lack some of the features targeted professional users.
Tks giving orientation, Petter5 ! :-)

I already wondered why they talked in French about to use Norwegian Chart sets... but my "basic language skills" in FRA are very low. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
I know both Opencpn and Olex well and can confirm that Opencpn will run perfect under Ubuntu Linux 14.04
Great !! - Will check this out... :-)
Old 29-10-2015, 05:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Those are not charts...

"Sailing Directions" - otherwise known as "Coast Pilots", are informational books, to be used as a supplement to nautical charts...
Ah, yes... of course I know handbooks... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
I've found the Sailing Directions published by the US goernment for Atlantic Canada to be quite good, and they're available for free:
http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...5/Pub145bk.pdf
Holy Cow ! ... Great ! - Its really time consuming to pick single datas together about different harbours on different websites... not very amusing. So many tks for the link ! :-)

In Germany we even have specific "sports marina handbooks", specifically printed for sailors... where all yacht harbours are listed along the Baltic coast and North Sea. With all details about the services, technically infrastructure, naturally latest map (drawings as we know from charts) + pictures, routing for day and night arrival, contact datas (e.g. harbour master, VHS channel), office times etc. ...

Very helpfully, but same "very expensive" these prints.

Tags
Canada, charts, nova scotia