Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 03:25   #16

Boat: Moody 44
Re: A WORKING copy of cm93 v2 and OpenCPN v4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Did they stop working or just that you can't get updates?

I was planning to purchase some myself down the track, but if they cease to work (or OpenCPN disables them), I would think again.
Steve
They just stopped working but its not an OpenCPN restriction.
I queried this with Chartworld and their reply confirms my suspicions ...

"thank you for your interest in or products.

We as ChartWorld are selling just the licenses to use charts from different chart producers. In case of official ENCs it is not possible to purchase chart licenses which will not expire but only for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months.

Alternatively we could provide you with chart folios from the private chart producer Navionics. These chart folios needs to be purchased for a license subscription period of 12 months as well but after the expiration of these 12 months you are still able to display the charts. You will just not receive any updates for this folio anymore if the license has been expired. An example for one of these folios is 1I03013 (Eastern Mediterranean Sea).

I hope you find this information of use.

Best Regards,
Gunnar Ruediger
Head of Customer Services EMEA"

I think, for me, the S63 OpenCPN plugin is a white elephant !
Regards
Steve
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 16:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Petter,

expired S-63 charts don't stop to show.
The standard does not cover this and it would be a function of OCPN/the S-63 plug-in to stop drawing the charts. Does not happen.

Let'e have a look at the S-63 standard:

and

explaining the SSE25 error message

So OCPN does show expired cells.

That a Chartworld representative wants to sell charts or perhaps has to deal with systems that behave differently (and not standard conform), that's another story...

So let's see what Afinite's test will bring up. There is something going wrong with his install. He shall see his expired cells.

Hubert
S63 charts will work forever, but you will not get any new updates after the licence periods ends. This is defined in the s63 standard. All references to S63 maps stopping working due to expired licence is misleading information. If the chats stops working, the reason is not an expired licence.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 12:42   #18

[emoji15]
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 15:46   #19

With CM93 now almost 5 years without a update and other charts difficult and expensive OpenCpn needs to look for alternatives for people wanting to cruise outside free gov charts.

Would it be possible to build a plugin to access the reasonably priced charts available from Windows apps like I-Boating .
This would give everyone access to updated charts with all the benefits of the best plotting software.
Steelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 09:52   #20

Boat: Cargo ship

Can you give me this copy cm93 V2 and open con v4
biku navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 10:49   #21

Check out o-charts for proper charts for OpenCpn.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 17:15   #22

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by biku navigator View Post
Can you give me this copy cm93 V2 and open con v4
Goodness, talk about kicking a zombie thread! Dead for 5 years, & it comes back to life.

But the good news is that there are now some excellent options. Many of us are now MAKING our own extremely high-quality charts (mbTiles) for OpenCPN using Sat2Chart & SAS Planet.

The really good news is that all programs & data are currently free(!) on the internet. It takes significant time & internet bandwidth, but the final products are superb.

We're using satellite imagery from ArcGIS, Bing (MSFT), Google Earth, & Nokia. The geo-registration on these is amazing, with max errors on the order of 3m/10'. They don't always show everything, but where they show it, that's exactly where it is. These don't have depths, of course, but a practiced eye can often tell depths - & bottom! - by color of water. The satellite images usually show the bottom in shallower water, & I've been able to pick out rocks in 20m/60'.

SAS also provides access to CMap & Navionics charts. These aren't as accurate, but they have depths, which are usually reasonably good.

SAS Planet, a Russian Open-Source program, gives access to all of these map-types, as well as many (MANY) more. All downloaded information is cached to your hard-drive for later offline use, limited only by the size of your drive.

SAS can also produce mbTiles from its cache. This is a chart-type that can now (as of v5) be displayed in OpenCPN. One cool feature is that, with "Chart Groups", you can switch between different charts with only a single keystroke. So we can have ArcGIS, Bing, GE, CMap, & Navionics charts up, & switch between them to decide which is best in less time that it took you to read this.

Sat2Chart is an automation engine written by ex-cruiser Paul Higgins, that drives SAS to do the heavy lifting. All you do is create routes (in OpenCPN) along the coasts of where you're interested, or around archipelagoes of islands/reefs. Export those routes as GPX files (2 mouse clicks each) & then feed them to Sat2Chart, which will then ask you:
  • How far from your linear routes do you want your chart to cover (we use 7nm total width)
  • What zoom-levels you want (we use Z10-Z18, which lets us see individual coral-heads)
  • Which maps you want (we use ArcGIS, Bing, GE, CMap, & Navionics)

Click the [OK] & go to bed. Sat2Chart will drive SAS Planet to download all the information (tiles) for all the areas & maps you select, & will then turn them into mbTiles for OpenCPN. It's VERY cool.

So the only real work you have to do is to make the Routes along the coasts or around the areas that you're interested in.

This is only a thumbnail description, of course. For more/better step-by-step instructions, I've published a How-To guide to Making mbTiles. I've tried to write it for novices, so I'd appreciate any feedback if you get confused or something isn't clear.

Also in there is a download point for a copy of the CM93v2 chart database. These are pretty poor, especially next to the mbTiles, but they're fast & easy & a reasonable starting point for making your routes.
Old 13-09-2022, 18:15   #23

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Goodness, talk about kicking a zombie thread! Dead for 5 years, & it comes back to life.

But the good news is that there are now some excellent options. Many of us are now MAKING our own extremely high-quality charts (mbTiles) for OpenCPN using Sat2Chart & SAS Planet.

The really good news is that all programs & data are currently free(!) on the internet. It takes significant time & internet bandwidth, but the final products are superb.

We're using satellite imagery from ArcGIS, Bing (MSFT), Google Earth, & Nokia. The geo-registration on these is amazing, with max errors on the order of 3m/10'. They don't always show everything, but where they show it, that's exactly where it is. These don't have depths, of course, but a practiced eye can often tell depths - & bottom! - by color of water. The satellite images usually show the bottom in shallower water, & I've been able to pick out rocks in 20m/60'.

SAS also provides access to CMap & Navionics charts. These aren't as accurate, but they have depths, which are usually reasonably good.

SAS Planet, a Russian Open-Source program, gives access to all of these map-types, as well as many (MANY) more. All downloaded information is cached to your hard-drive for later offline use, limited only by the size of your drive.

SAS can also produce mbTiles from its cache. This is a chart-type that can now (as of v5) be displayed in OpenCPN. One cool feature is that, with "Chart Groups", you can switch between different charts with only a single keystroke. So we can have ArcGIS, Bing, GE, CMap, & Navionics charts up, & switch between them to decide which is best in less time that it took you to read this.

Sat2Chart is an automation engine written by ex-cruiser Paul Higgins, that drives SAS to do the heavy lifting. All you do is create routes (in OpenCPN) along the coasts of where you're interested, or around archipelagoes of islands/reefs. Export those routes as GPX files (2 mouse clicks each) & then feed them to Sat2Chart, which will then ask you:
  • How far from your linear routes do you want your chart to cover (we use 7nm total width)
  • What zoom-levels you want (we use Z10-Z18, which lets us see individual coral-heads)
  • Which maps you want (we use ArcGIS, Bing, GE, CMap, & Navionics)

Click the [OK] & go to bed. Sat2Chart will drive SAS Planet to download all the information (tiles) for all the areas & maps you select, & will then turn them into mbTiles for OpenCPN. It's VERY cool.

So the only real work you have to do is to make the Routes along the coasts or around the areas that you're interested in.

This is only a thumbnail description, of course. For more/better step-by-step instructions, I've published a How-To guide to Making mbTiles. I've tried to write it for novices, so I'd appreciate any feedback if you get confused or something isn't clear.

Also in there is a download point for a copy of the CM93v2 chart database. These are pretty poor, especially next to the mbTiles, but they're fast & easy & a reasonable starting point for making your routes.

i appreciate you writing all this..
it was hellava helpful.
(thank you)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, enc