Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 03:00   #1
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Update to 4.8.2: dashboard colors & blinking

Hi there, see attached screenshot. Sorry if this has been discussed already, first day use after global update of my Mint 18.2. Why are colors mixed grey & white now ? Also "position" is now blinking grey/white. Could not find anything new in dashboard 1.2 setup...
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn482.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	166587
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 06:38   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Update to 4.8.2: dashboard colors & blinking

This is a bug, seems to be specific to (maybe only some flavours of) Linux - Not all the dashboard instruments are correctly setting the window background colour and your OS default is used - Much better visible when you switch to the low-light colour schemes using the toolbar button - The instruments you see with grey background will keep it. No fix currently available.
I am not able to reproduce what you describe for the position instrument so that part could be specific to your particular desktop environment.

For reference: https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issues/1020

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 07:47   #3
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
This is a bug, seems to be specific to (maybe only some flavours of) Linux - Not all the dashboard instruments are correctly setting the window background colour and your OS default is used - Much better visible when you switch to the low-light colour schemes using the toolbar button - The instruments you see with grey background will keep it. No fix currently available.
I am not able to reproduce what you describe for the position instrument so that part could be specific to your particular desktop environment.

For reference: https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issues/1020

Pavel
ah ok, thank you Pavel. No big deal, I will wait for next revision, maybe revert to 4.8.1

On a side note I am no fan of how big my boat has become, even scaled down to -5 it is way bigger than it used to be ... and I got used to it

thanks for this wonderful piece of software anyway ! cheers
Old 18-03-2018, 08:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
ah ok, thank you Pavel. No big deal, I will wait for next revision, maybe revert to 4.8.1

On a side note I am no fan of how big my boat has become, even scaled down to -5 it is way bigger than it used to be ... and I got used to it

thanks for this wonderful piece of software anyway ! cheers
How big your boat has become? And is the screen size detected (Toolbox -> Display -> Advanced -> Physical Screen with) correct?
Old 18-03-2018, 09:02   #5
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
How big your boat has become? And is the screen size detected (Toolbox -> Display -> Advanced -> Physical Screen with) correct?
ah funny when I set it manually to 540mm (approx. measurement) my boat becomes smaller but the AIS target gets much bigger !
It doesn't say how large is the screen when set to auto mode, so I cannot tell it is properly detected or not.

you can see how big is my boat in the picture I posted, that is downscaled -5
Old 18-03-2018, 09:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
ah funny when I set it manually to 540mm (approx. measurement) my boat becomes smaller but the AIS target gets much bigger !
It doesn't say how large is the screen when set to auto mode, so I cannot tell it is properly detected or not.

you can see how big is my boat in the picture I posted, that is downscaled -5
Certainly works fine for me. And I can of course make it as small as invisible by using the real scale bitmap/vector own ship icon in Toolbox -> Ships -> Own Ship and setting the Minimum Screen Size to say 1 mm...