Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 20:48   #1

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft
System possible configuration?

Hi,
Since "a picture is worth a thousand words" I'm going to post a long post here.

I have the GPS puck and the HP laptop with OpenCPN running perfectly. Now I want to add receive AIS capability but also have a radio BUT without spending the big bucks $$$.

Is this setup possible?
Ryan
[IMG]C:\Users\User\Pictures\Saved Pictures\AIS_Plan.jpg[/IMG]

NEVERMIND! I WILL POST IN A FEW DAYS WHEN I FIGURE OUT WHY The Cruisers Forum "INSERT IMAGE" BUTTON DOES NOT WORK.
Ryan
Sir_Crabs_A_Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 20:59   #2

Re: System possible configuration?

Here it is. Apparently the "Insert Image" button does nothing, but the "Add attachment" button is the one to use.
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS_Plan.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	178408  
Old 04-10-2018, 04:34   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Ryan, nice diagram.

1. What nmea0183 information particularly are you expecting from the VHF that would be useful? DSC emergency calls located on the Opencpn Chart perhaps?

2. If you run out of USB connections you can get a USB Hub

As you create these, may we use one or two for the Wiki Manual?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:49   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Crabs_A_Lot View Post
Here it is. Apparently the "Insert Image" button does nothing, but the "Add attachment" button is the one to use.
Ryan
I'm pretty sure you do not need the connection to the VHF. The Daisy does all the AIS receive functions.

However to see any AIS messages at decent distance you will need to mount the VHF antenna somewhere high(ish). The top of a bimini will give you a couple of miles range.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes, the Daisy does provide AIS "receive" nmea0183 data that is received from ships in the area. Range varies dependent on height of antenna, antenna capability, connections, etc. It is very likely you'll get 8-12 nm. Higher up that mast, and dependent on the transmitting ships' height, and signal strength, you''ll get further.

The dAISy does require the GPS signal from other devices.

(12nm is basically the horizon, but cargo ships move fast.)
You won't need the VHF connection for AIS, but perhaps other features.

You have read the examples here?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._ais_receivers
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:41   #6

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I suspect the vhf also needs gps data for dsc. Then the circuit makes sense,
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Ryan, nice diagram.

1. What nmea0183 information particularly are you expecting from the VHF that would be useful? DSC emergency calls located on the Opencpn Chart perhaps?

2. If you run out of USB connections you can get a USB Hub

As you create these, may we use one or two for the Wiki Manual?
rgleason, reefmagnet,

1. I guess what my basic question is here, is: will the NMEA messages pass through the laptop properly -- antenna > dAISy > laptop/OpenCPN > VHF, and then voice or DSC transmissions the other way, i.e. VHF > laptop > dAISy > antenna? Also, GPS > VHF and back? Does the "data stream" travel everywhere?

2. My laptop has 2 x USB2.0 and 2 x USB3.0 so I don't think I'll run out.

3. Yes use it in the Wiki Manual but ONLY IF IT WORKS. As I said I only have the GPS puck and the HP laptop with OpenCPN running now, nothing else.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 04-10-2018, 11:00   #8

As a point of further discussion, here's a diagram of Option #2, a "normal" installation, but one in which the GPS/AIS capable VHF would be about $250 USD more expensive, and I would have wasted my money on a Puck I don't need.

Cheers,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AIS_Plan_2.jpg.png
Views:	106
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	178442  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:14   #9

Quote:
rgleason, reefmagnet,

1. I guess what my basic question is here, is: will the NMEA messages pass through the laptop properly -- antenna > dAISy > laptop/OpenCPN > VHF, and then voice or DSC transmissions the other way, i.e. VHF > laptop > dAISy > antenna? Also, GPS > VHF and back? Does the "data stream" travel everywhere?

2. My laptop has 2 x USB2.0 and 2 x USB3.0 so I don't think I'll run out.

3. Yes use it in the Wiki Manual but ONLY IF IT WORKS. As I said I only have the GPS puck and the HP laptop with OpenCPN running now, nothing else.

Cheers,
Ryan
You have some misunderstanding!

1. The dAISy device is completely standalone. It connects to its own VHF antenna and has its own VHF tuner built in. It then shows up as a com port on the laptop which you configure in OpenCPN. I'm 99% sure the dAISy does not accept incoming NMEA sentences. Nor would there be any value if it did. It has nothing to do with DSC or voice since its a stand alone device.

2. In OpenCPN you can configure a port to be both Input and Output. So if you configure the VHF com port to be bi-directional than all the NMEA data will be sent to it. (so no the data stream doesn't travel everywhere, you must configure it)

3. The same is true for the GPS puck. Its a standalone device and only supports sending NMEA data, not receiving. Again, there is no need for it to recieve NMEA sentences as it is a recieve only device on the GPS side (never sends anything out)

Now I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. I'm guessing you want AIS targets to show up in OpenCPN and you can click on them to initiate a DSC call on the VHF? If that is so, then it will be VERY dependant on what VHF you have. Very very few of them allow this functionality if its comes from an off brand device (must be the same manufacturer). For instance, B&G will only allow DSC calls to be initiated from a B&G plotter.

However, in the event your VHF does support it. Then yes the diagram is fine. You would just need to configure the VHF com port as bi-directional in OpenCPN. The other ports would be recieve only. OpenCPN then sends the appropriate sentences to the VFH to initiate that call (assuming OpenCPN supports this functionality, I don't know if it does).
Old 04-10-2018, 11:29   #10

Quote:
As a point of further discussion, here's a diagram of Option #2, a "normal" installation, but one in which the GPS/AIS capable VHF would be about $250 USD more expensive, and I would have wasted my money on a Puck I don't need.

Cheers,
Ryan
Ok.. Please detail what you are trying to do.. I get the feeling that you might want to actually do bi-directional AIS data (recieve AIS and transmit). Or are you just interesting in seeing AIS data on your laptop with the ability to DSC call with a mouse click?
Old 04-10-2018, 18:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Ok.. Please detail what you are trying to do.. I get the feeling that you might want to actually do bi-directional AIS data (recieve AIS and transmit). Or are you just interesting in seeing AIS data on your laptop with the ability to DSC call with a mouse click?
I want to see AIS data on my laptop.

I also want to be able to do a DSC call with a push of the special button under the door on the VHF.

I want to use the VHF as a transceiver for voice calls BUT my concern is that the antenna must be plugged into the dAISy, not the VHF. Otherwise I might need a separate antenna for the VHF and that's just dumb.

Question: would voice transmissions going TO the antenna then "pass through" the dAISy IF I configure the dAISy's com port as bi-directional? I already know the dAISy doesn't accept NMEA sentences -- that's not what I'm asking -- my concern is for voice getting to the antenna.

I hope I'm being clear.
Ryan
Old 04-10-2018, 22:08   #12

This is a revised drawing to go with my previous post, just to clarify things.
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AIS_Plan_3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	178469  
Old 05-10-2018, 05:03   #13

Quote:
Otherwise I might need a separate antenna for the VHF and that's just dumb.
Well, no, it's really not that dumb. You are doing two very different things on the VHF frequencies. The dAISy cannot transmit. So, no, you cannot transmit through the dAISy with your VHF. The easiest and cheapest solution is two antennas.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:15   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

I also want to be able to do a DSC call with a push of the special button under the door on the VHF.

I want to use the VHF as a transceiver for voice calls BUT my concern is that the antenna must be plugged into the dAISy, not the VHF. Otherwise I might need a separate antenna for the VHF and that's just dumb.

Question: would voice transmissions going TO the antenna then "pass through" the dAISy IF I configure the dAISy's com port as bi-directional? I already know the dAISy doesn't accept NMEA sentences -- that's not what I'm asking -- my concern is for voice getting to the antenna.

I hope I'm being clear.
Ryan

The voice transmissions do NOT "pass through" the Daisy. The radio needs a direct connection to an antenna, in order to transmit and receive voice calls. The Daisy needs its own antenna.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:22   #15

Quote:

I hope I'm being clear.
Ryan
Ok, now I'm clear.

Unfortunately, you will need 2 VHF antennas with your first diagram. The dAISy and the VHF cannot share an antenna unless you get a VHF antenna splitter. However, those are over $200 and have their disadvantages.

You will be much better off with diagram #2. Actually, here is a website detailing the exact setup you are looking for, and what parts to buy (since most VHF radios do not have USB connections).
https://sojosailing.wordpress.com/20...expensive-way/

Now.. I will quickly talk to you about DSC. The "button under the little door" is for emergencies only. You press it in the event of an emergency and it sends an alarm to all the radios in the area alerting them of your emergency. It also sends you position data and the nature of the emergency. This is a DSC emergency call.

The second type of DSC call is not for an emergency, but for general use. One radio calls another radio directly (the recieving radio rings like a telephone). You don't have to verbally hail on 16 (or any other hailing channel). Instead you just select the boat you want to talk with from a menu and ring them. None of the other boats in the area know you even called a boat. On some systems you can actually do this from the plotter screen using the AIS data (e.g. Click on the boat, select "CALL"). Unfortunately I don't think OpenCPN supports this functionality.