Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 15:26   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Raspberry Pi-4-OpenCPN Sellers?

Or just don't run Raspbian. There are any number of OS that can be run on the Pi. Of more concern to the commercial user are some of the other licenses. The hardware is NOT open-source. There are licenses associated with the Broadcom chips, for example, that are not GPL friendly, that do contain restrictions, and that can't be easily stepped around by loading alternate software.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 16:27   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Yes you are mostly right, I must have been thinking about closed code and certain libraries. Quote below from the current documentation's FAQ; your article was from 2012 The PI hardware is not open source though. Otherwise they would be available direct from China at 1/4 of the price

The significance of the year 2012 is that is the year the Pi was launched. Of course there would be no need for further clarification if the status remained unchanged.

However, here is a more current description of usage rights.

Quote:
Is the Raspberry Pi open source?

The Raspberry Pi operates in the open source ecosystem: it runs Linux (a variety of distributions), and its main supported operating system, Raspbian, is open source and runs a suite of open source software. The Raspberry Pi Foundation contributes to the Linux kernel and various other open source projects as well as releasing much of its own software as open source.
The Raspberry Pi's schematics are released, but the board itself is not open hardware. The Raspberry Pi Foundation relies on income from the sale of Raspberry Pis to do its charitable work.
There are actually variants based on the schematic or just the idea of the Raspberry Pi. "Odroids", "Banana Pi" and "Orange Pi" among them.

So while you quite probably can't start making and selling counterfeit copies of a Raspberry Pi, you can freely use them or even build your own circuits based on it's schematics and use them in whatever whizbang gadget you desire, even if selling them for a profit.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:01   #18

Hi Folks I am new as of today to this forum so please excuse anything I do or ask if not appropriate... I am trying to run opencpn via openplotter on my pi 4. I have Bu-353S4 usb gps. For some reason opencpn doesn't seem to get the gps data even though in the connections tab I see that it is connected. I loaded opencpn on my Windows 7 machine, plugged the gps into the usb slot, told opencpn that it was on comm7 and it instantly connected to it. My question is, do I need to also load a driver for the gps on the Pi/Linux card? thanks!
Larry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 15:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

No driver is required. You can either use GPSD to connect the gps, or you can configure it manually as a com port.
Read the Opencpn manual how to connect gps under Linux ( Ubuntu) it is pretty straight forward when you read the manual.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpnpencpn_user_manual:getting_st arted:gps_setup#linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry99 View Post
Hi Folks I am new as of today to this forum so please excuse anything I do or ask if not appropriate... I am trying to run opencpn via openplotter on my pi 4. I have Bu-353S4 usb gps. For some reason opencpn doesn't seem to get the gps data even though in the connections tab I see that it is connected. I loaded opencpn on my Windows 7 machine, plugged the gps into the usb slot, told opencpn that it was on comm7 and it instantly connected to it. My question is, do I need to also load a driver for the gps on the Pi/Linux card? thanks!
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 15:27   #20

Thank you!! I will give it a try. I did read that though you could connect directly with Opencpn it was recommended that you connect via tcp with OpenPlotter in order to make it easier to attached multiple NMEA 0183 devices. I've read so many posts and documentation it has become a mission to see why though everything looks normal on openplotter and opencpn that no data is being sent by openplotter of if it is it is not being received by opencpn. Is there a Raspberry/Linux command that would allow me to access the device directly and have it port the data to the screen? Anyway, thank you again for your help as it is very much appreciated. - Larry
Old 08-06-2020, 15:50   #21

Boat: Outremer 50S

You should be able to use

Code:
cat /dev/ttyS0
where "ttyS0" is the device ID for your com port (which you should be able to find in the OpenCPN configuration). Making sure that you don't have OpenCPN, or Kplex, or anything else trying to use the port.

If that doesn't work you could install screen, an app that is good for serial troubleshooting:

Code:
sudo apt-get install screen
sudo screen /dev/ttyS0 4800
(If you are using an AIS stream change 4800 to 38400)

Note that you have to have permissions to access the serial port. I've never had to modify them, but it is possible to have them denied. Easiest way to check for this, run OpenCPN (as a test) or screen as root (the sudo in the code above takes care of this, if you run "sudo screen" and get data you can then just run "screen", if you don't get data then you know it is a permissions issue):

Code:
sudo opencpn
If the NMEA stream works that way then you will have to give your user permissions to the serial stream using chmod.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 18:11   #22

Thank you, I'll give it a try
Old 08-06-2020, 20:51   #23
Marine Service Provider

Hmmm, I was maybe a little bit to quick. If using open plotter, it is recommended to connect through Open plotter so you can take advantage of Openplotter features - it is straight forward that also,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry99 View Post
Thank you, I'll give it a try
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:13   #24

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
You should be able to use

Code:
cat /dev/ttyS0
where "ttyS0" is the device ID for your com port (which you should be able to find in the OpenCPN configuration). Making sure that you don't have OpenCPN, or Kplex, or anything else trying to use the port.

If that doesn't work you could install screen, an app that is good for serial troubleshooting:

Code:
sudo apt-get install screen
sudo screen /dev/ttyS0 4800
(If you are using an AIS stream change 4800 to 38400)

Note that you have to have permissions to access the serial port. I've never had to modify them, but it is possible to have them denied. Easiest way to check for this, run OpenCPN (as a test) or screen as root (the sudo in the code above takes care of this, if you run "sudo screen" and get data you can then just run "screen", if you don't get data then you know it is a permissions issue):

Code:
sudo opencpn
If the NMEA stream works that way then you will have to give your user permissions to the serial stream using chmod.
To get permission to use the serial ports:

usermod -a -G dialout (name of the user)

In OpenPlotter you do the serial ports in the application "serial".

Give the connection an "alias"

Then "connections" and switch connection to the SignalK server.

In OpenCPN you get the data from the internal net called localhost.

Settings: tcp localhost poort 10110. Or with the latest OpenCPN versions:
signalK localhost and port 3000.

Here now running the 64 bits RaspiOS. Not yet compleet, but works very well and fast.

With the SignalK/canboat application I can also use the input from my NMEA2000 network.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:27   #25

I finally got it to work. I went to the Connections tab in opencpn:
Enable
Network
Input
GPSD
local host
Port 2947
Priority 0

I originally had the port set to 10110

I also did an edit on a file to remove a “#” from a command for my BU-353.
/lib/useful/rules.d/60-gpsd.rules
Remove the # from the line #ATTRS....

Tags
enc, opencpn