Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 10:09   #1

Boat: '85 Irwin52, 56LOA
Raspberry Pi-4-OpenCPN Sellers?

Good day!

I was wondering if anyone sold a pi already sorted with OpenCPN, and maybe a few other options already loaded so that some of our less tech-savvy or without the time could still take advantage of such a great platform.

Thanks for any info!

CaptainMCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:16   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Raspberry Pi-4-OpenCPN Sellers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMCT View Post
Good day!

I was wondering if anyone sold a pi already sorted with OpenCPN, and maybe a few other options already loaded so that some of our less tech-savvy or without the time could still take advantage of such a great platform.

Thanks for any info!

Try Openplotter :

https://www.sailoog.com

It has everything you are looking for and more. You can download and burn an image easy.

Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:16   #3

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Good day!

Thanks for any info!
You can do it yourself, easy to do
https://www.sailoog.com/openplotter
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:33   #4

Boat: B27

If you try doing it yourself, make sure you have a good formatter (SD card formatter) which you can download from the internet, a good unzip tool (I downloaded 7 zip since the one I had on my Windows 10 laptop wouldn't work properly) and then you can use win32diskimager to load up your 32gb SD Card with the extracted image that you downloaded from the openplotter site

If you have trouble, someone here can usually help.

I tried doing it from terminal mode first from the Open CPN site and had trouble. Then I used the above method

Also, if you haven't already try downloading Open CPN to the computer you are using now for practice. I did that and hooked up my GPS dongle to this computer and got it to work on my laptop and it showed my position (at my apartment) after some tweeking
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If you try doing it yourself, make sure you have a good formatter (SD card formatter) which you can download from the internet, a good unzip tool (I downloaded 7 zip since the one I had on my Windows 10 laptop wouldn't work properly) and then you can use win32diskimager to load up your 32gb SD Card with the extracted image that you downloaded from the openplotter site
With the noobs image you just need to unzip then copy the files onto the card. Windows formatter is OK to format the sd card, which will likely be formatted anyway
Old 10-05-2020, 10:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
With the noobs image you just need to unzip then copy the files onto the card. Windows formatter is OK to format the sd card, which will likely be formatted anyway
I didn't know that at the time and hadn't loaded a system since the late 80's early 90's

I tried formatting it maybe 10 times and it never worked properly until I used the downloaded formatter. Then It wouldn't boot at all which was correct but I had made so many attempts and changes that I lost track.

I didn't know whether or not I had broken the board (computer) until I got online and learned what the lights were telling me which was I didn't have a boot file

That's when I downloaded Buster Lite and got it to boot into terminal mode then tried to build from there until I remembered I had downloaded just Buster lite

Then I downloaded the large Openplotter image, reformatter the SD card, extracted the image with 7 zip, and loaded that onto the SD card using Win32diskimager and then everything worked as advertised.

It was good practice when I did it a couple months back because I'm now having to obtain an A+ cert (in 90 days) even though I'm a manager which means learning everything in a 900 page book concerning desktop and laptop computer, mobile devices, tablets etc and passing two exams
Old 10-05-2020, 11:14   #7

I'm lacking quite a bit of technical knowledge or know how-However, I appreciate everyones responses and I'm working to get a grasp on all my systems. Also, I'm anticipating some NMEA adapters, and maybe sensors down the line to keep an eye on my fridge.

I'll scour the OpenCPN section for all these answers, but I figured since I have you, nice people, here I'd take up any time (I know we've all been so busy the last 70 days or so) you beautiful people were so willing to donate, along with your wisdom and experiences.

Stay well everyone! Sail happy!
Old 10-05-2020, 11:29   #8

Quote:

I'm lacking quite a bit of technical knowledge or know how-However, I appreciate everyones responses and I'm working to get a grasp on all my systems. Also, I'm anticipating some NMEA adapters, and maybe sensors down the line to keep an eye on my fridge.

I'll scour the OpenCPN section for all these answers, but I figured since I have you, nice people, here I'd take up any time (I know we've all been so busy the last 70 days or so) you beautiful people were so willing to donate, along with your wisdom and experiences.

Attached is the first adapter (USB 422/485) I used to bring in NMEA AIS/GPS info from my VHF to my Raspberry Pi. The adapter was $5.00 and recommended by some one on CF. I have several spares now plus a spare Raspberry Pi 4

The other picture was when I was in the middle of trying to load Open CPN in Terminal mode on my Raspberry Pi 4 from the Open CPN site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00605.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	214760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00565.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	214761  

Old 10-05-2020, 11:39   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

I'll make the offer, I have several decent SD cards (32GB) that I use for my OpenCPN/OpenPlotter setups. Since they only run about $10 I'd be more than happy to set one up, test it in my Pi4 and mail it to you. You could then just purchase an empty Pi4, power supply and case (possibly serial converter for NMEA 0183).

Your info says "Caribbean", how good is your mail?

If interested we could just discuss here the "options".
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 13:18   #10

Quote:

The latest openplotter documentation is still being updated but quite a lot of info in there already -
https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/e...enplotter.html
Old 19-05-2020, 15:40   #11

Hey Is there any chance you're still willing to send me an SD?
Old 19-05-2020, 15:45   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

Absolutely. Have one sitting here fresh in package. If you're not familiar with OpenCPN I assume you'll want that latest of the stable releases? I'd probably recommend the OpenPlotter image, that has a fair bit of other pretty useful software since you mentioned options above.

PM me a mailing address whenever it is convenient, I'll start building it tonight. It may take me a couple of days to get it all tested, but should be able to get it out by the weekend.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 22:34   #13
Moo

It is illegal to sell a pi as an integrated part of a commercial package so you shouldn't find one already built but all the parts can be sold as a kit. Therefore you will never find a pi in say a Raymarine style plotter.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 23:17   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
It is illegal to sell a pi as an integrated part of a commercial package so you shouldn't find one already built but all the parts can be sold as a kit. Therefore you will never find a pi in say a Raymarine style plotter.

That's not correct. The Raspberry Pi is open source and this allows anyone and everyone to do as they please with it.

From the Raspberry Pi site...

Quote:
If, like Brian, you’re making a product which requires a Raspberry Pi to run, we don’t ask you to buy special permission or licences from us to use it. All we ask is that you include the words “Powered by Raspberry Pi” somewhere on your packaging. If your business is successful, we’d be very grateful if you could consider donating a small portion of your profits to the Raspberry Pi Foundation – but that’s all, and if you choose not to do that, that’s fine too.

The issue with using a Raspberry Pi in a commercial product is more with the economics of doing so. For cottage type operations though, it is probably a perfect solution.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 15:12   #15
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
That's not correct. The Raspberry Pi is open source and this allows anyone and everyone to do as they please with it.
Yes you are mostly right, I must have been thinking about closed code and certain libraries. Quote below from the current documentation's FAQ; your article was from 2012 The PI hardware is not open source though. Otherwise they would be available direct from China at 1/4 of the price

Quote:
Can I use a Raspberry Pi in a commercial product?
This is a very common question, and the answer is yes! Once you have bought a Raspberry Pi, it's yours to do with as you wish. Note, however, that a lot of the software in the Raspbian distribution is GPL-licenced, which comes with certain requirements, most significantly that you must provide access to the source code if requested. This is usually pretty easy to do.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn