Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 18:26   #16

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCPN Version 3.2.2 Released

May 08, 2013 Version 3.2.2 compiles and installs without error on Xoom android tablet. Program starts without apparent error.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:49   #17

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
petter5....

Are you familiar with the debugger called ddd? It is available in the standard linux repos.

If you install ddd ($sudo apt-get install ddd), and then run opencpn under the debugger as

$ddd opencpn

Make it crash, then go to ddd screen and look at the Status->Backtrace tab. Take a screenshot, and post it here. This is the fastest way for the developers to debug a linux crash.

Thanks
Dave

p.s. Interested writers are invited to document the use of ddd in the wiki, for eventual inclusion in the user manual. I dunno how many times I have explained this process in the forum
Dave

A first attempt here: Help the Developers Finding Bugs | Official OpenCPN Homepage.
Feel free to improve it or come with suggestions.

I have another idea along the lines of repetitive instructions.
What about including an option in the windows installer to start with a new opencpn.ini file (backing up the old one)? Most Win users, will at first sign of trouble instinctively re-install OpenCPN, so why not help them a little bit.....

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

That did the trick ! Works ok now
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47   #19

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
That did the trick ! Works ok now
What happened to the saved copies of opencpn.conf and navobj.xml ?

Please post them here, otherwise it will be difficult to prevent the same thing from happen to other users.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 17:40   #20

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

My XP computer died and I'm trying to get a Garmin 76(uses serial port) to work with a W7 64 bit system. Garmin tech support claims that a serial to USB converter won't work with 64 bit systems. Can some verify or tell me how to make it work. I can't make it work with O or Mapsource, in Garmin or NMEA mode. I could get a USB version for $125 but I'm cheap.
Old 12-09-2013, 17:48   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

David, I have Win 7 x 64 and can get my Colorado Montana working with it via USB.
I believe with your 76 you may need a special USB to serial cable (doesn't garmin make these?). For example, I know that Globalstar BU-355 ps-2 Mouse GPS has a companion PS-2 to USB that works fine (it is a special cable by Globalstar).

Also you may need to change the commication mode, serial and baud in the Garmin.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 06:58   #22

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
My XP computer died and I'm trying to get a Garmin 76(uses serial port) to work with a W7 64 bit system. Garmin tech support claims that a serial to USB converter won't work with 64 bit systems. Can some verify or tell me how to make it work. I can't make it work with O or Mapsource, in Garmin or NMEA mode. I could get a USB version for $125 but I'm cheap.
Apparently there are good serial to USB converters and bad ones. I have a bad one, with the Prolific chip. This may be the problem. This setup worked on the XP/32 bit so I'm a little confused.

I'll probably update to a USB Garmin (used!)
Old 13-09-2013, 18:19   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

From a Forum:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...post&p=4989786

Quote:
For your Windows 7 computer, don't trust the words of Garmin that there is no solution for your particular USB-serial converter (unless you got if from them); if the manufacturer of your USB-serial converter is in business, they probably have a 64-bit driver that you can download from their website.
Quote:
The older Garmin serial GPSrs (like the GPSMAP76) did not have drivers. To move data into that GPSr through a serial port, you will need software that knows the Garmin protocol (e.g. GSAK, Easygps, Mapsource, GPSbabel, etc). If you have Mapsource, then try to get it to talk to your GPSr because that is Garmin software and it should work if you got the USB-serial converter to give our OS a serial port.
Also
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...urce-Windows-7
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 19:56   #24

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Apparently there are good serial to USB converters and bad ones.
I haven't fiddled with these for a while now, but I found the same thing when connecting my Garmin GPS76. Some converters didn't work with the Garmin and some did. Sorry I can't tell you what to look for.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51   #25

I too have the route manager problem using the latest code. If I delete a waypoint the entire list disappears. Once I quit and restart OpenCPN, the list reappears, minus the waypoint I deleted.

Also, I am getting a very constant and repeatable crash. I start OpenCPN, click the route manager icon, wait a long time for the route manager to appear (I have over 1200 waypoints), then click a waypoint and then click properties the program crashes. It generates a crash report too.

Tom
tcarroll2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08   #26

Boat: Phantom 19

Tom...
There's a crash reporting functionality integrated in the 3.3 beta series (If you are on Windows). We would be very grateful if you gave it a try and sent us a crash report. If it crashes... There is no more maintenance release planned for 3.2.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09   #27

Hey Pavel, I am using a MacBook Pro with Lion 10.7.5.

The steps to recreate the crash are as follows:

Delete a waypoint (waypoint list disappears)
Quit OpenCPN
Start Open CPN
Click on Route Manager Icon
Click on Waypoints Tab

I am unable to edit any waypoints because of this issue.

Also, I notice the Route Manager is extremely slow to load (like 7 minutes). I am running my laptop on a SSD, which is usually lightening fast except when loading the Route Manager. I have 1200+ waypoints and cannot imagine why it takes so long to load them. After I edit a waypoint (whether I make changes or not) it takes another 5+ minutes before I can do anything.

I tried looking to see if there was a limitation on the number of waypoints OpenCPN can store, but the web site must be down. I keep getting a bad gateway error.

I'd be willing to load up the beta version and mess with it.

Tom
Old 05-10-2013, 10:36   #28

I just installed the latest beta code. The issues I had in 3.2.2 are gone. Yay! The waypoint list is instantaneous and the delete function doesn't make the list go away either.

As reported earlier, the route manager screen remains on top of all windows.

Thanks!

Tom

Tags
opencpn