Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 06:30   #1

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
OpenCPN On Tablet Computer

Is there a tablet computer with touch screen that will run OpenCPN?

Here are my preliminary requirements:
- runs Windows (ie, compatible with OpenCPN)
- touch screen
- external mouse and keyboard option (when used for other applications)
- screen size >= 10 inch
- USB ports

Thanks.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 06:37   #2

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM
Re: OpenCPN on tablet computer

Most tablets are running Android - which is not what you want.

Asus Eee EP121
Samsung Sliding PC 7 Series

I would google "tablet windows 7"
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 06:54   #3

Boat: Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to FloatyThing
I saw a great Dell "laptop / tablet" at Costco the other day. Had a flip around screen that made it a tablet. Ran Windows, had a sweet docking station with speakers. Everything you would want in a tablet RI. I g Windows. I think it was around $500.
FloatyThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 07:08   #4

Thanks for the feedback. My concept is to attach the tablet to the nav station bulkhead (running OpenCPN) when used for Navigation underway and then use it as a laptop for other Window applications when at anchor. I am confused as to whether one can control OpenCPN using the touch screen alone. Anyone have experience in this regard?
Pete
Old 23-08-2011, 07:50   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I'm running Opencpn on a Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 with XP for tablets and a daylight viewable touch screen. The cpu is 900mhz and it has 750 mb memory. I have a waterproof keyboard for typing. I ran Opencpn 2.3 on my trip from Batlimore to Guatemala. I'm currently running 2.5 at home. The st4121 is a little slow for planning routes, where there is a lot of quilting. I built a plastic case to keep spray off and kept it in the cockpit except for offshore passages.

I only spent $150 three yrs ago for the st4121. I just checked ebay where I found that they don't even sell them anymore, but there is something similar offered by Motion Computing. When the St4121 dies I'll probably get one of these.

It may be due to my old eyes, but I find a normal laptop screen to be unreadable in the cockpit. This is true even when the sun is bright but not directly on the screen. Perhaps with some sort of hood?
Old 23-08-2011, 12:35   #6

How does OpenCPN work with a tablet computer running Windows? In other words, can it be controlled without use of keyboard or mouse? Since I've never used a touch screen computer with windows I'm at a loss as to any limitations that might exist.
Pete
Old 23-08-2011, 12:56   #7

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: OpenCPN On Tablet Computer

Microsoft are supposed to be coming out with a tablet version of windows 8 and Lenovo is supposed to be coming out with a tablet for it. Be patient. OpenCPN will not run on android.
Eyeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 13:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeback View Post
Microsoft are supposed to be coming out with a tablet version of windows 8 and Lenovo is supposed to be coming out with a tablet for it. Be patient. OpenCPN will not run on android.
Thanks. that's interesting, but what are the limitations when running OpenCPN under Windows 7 on a touch screen tablet computer. Is a keypad and mouse required or can OpenCPN be run with the touch screen alone
Pete
Old 23-08-2011, 18:17   #9

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Thanks. that's interesting, but what are the limitations when running OpenCPN under Windows 7 on a touch screen tablet computer. Is a keypad and mouse required or can OpenCPN be run with the touch screen alone
Pete
Pete.
My tablet has a touch screen and an active stylus. The stylus has a rocker switch with same functions as the mouse right and left buttons. Moving the stylus on the screen moves the cursor just as a mouse does. You have the same functionaly as a mouse only you can't lose the cursor. Typing (e.g. WP names) is slow as you have to click on an icon which puts a soft keyboard at the bottom of the screen and you then select characters with the stylus. I bought a USB rubber membrane keyboard on ebay for abt $10.

As near as I can tell, Opencpn doesn't know that it's running on a tablet. Whatever you buy will need to emulate the mouse positioning and right and left buttons.

If you still plan to mount in the cockpit, you will need some weather protection. Tablets (at least some tablets) are more rugged than laptops, but are not waterproof.
Old 23-08-2011, 21:08   #10
Marine Service Provider

I run OpenCPN on a iPad 2 using a utility called display I run OpenCPN on a laptop in the cabin and display the screen on the IPad 2. All the touch screen features are relayed to Open CPN. A little slow but works ok. Connects via wifi

Richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 22:11   #11

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM

I use a Motion Computing LE1600 at the helm. Runs OCPN just fine. The 1600 was $200.00 on ebay. The 1600 is not waterproof. The newer ones are rated IP52 and better.

Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 05:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
I'm running Opencpn on a Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 with XP for tablets and a daylight viewable touch screen. The cpu is 900mhz and it has 750 mb memory. I have a waterproof keyboard for typing. I ran Opencpn 2.3 on my trip from Batlimore to Guatemala. I'm currently running 2.5 at home. The st4121 is a little slow for planning routes, where there is a lot of quilting. I built a plastic case to keep spray off and kept it in the cockpit except for offshore passages.

I only spent $150 three yrs ago for the st4121. I just checked ebay where I found that they don't even sell them anymore, but there is something similar offered by Motion Computing. When the St4121 dies I'll probably get one of these.

It may be due to my old eyes, but I find a normal laptop screen to be unreadable in the cockpit. This is true even when the sun is bright but not directly on the screen. Perhaps with some sort of hood?
Thanks. I'm not too concerned about the brightness of screen since I plan to mount the tablet on bulkhead of nav station out of harm's way. As I think about it I'm favoring an inexpensive tablet dedicated to navigation as opposed to a convertible PC that can run Window apps when not being used for navigation. I really like the $150 cost you mentioned. For that kind of money I can justify a dedicated tablet for navigation. I'm also considering a tablet that runs Ubuntu since there is a version of OpenCPN that runs under Ubuntu
Pete
Old 24-08-2011, 06:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Pete.
My tablet has a touch screen and an active stylus. The stylus has a rocker switch with same functions as the mouse right and left buttons. Moving the stylus on the screen moves the cursor just as a mouse does. You have the same functionaly as a mouse only you can't lose the cursor. Typing (e.g. WP names) is slow as you have to click on an icon which puts a soft keyboard at the bottom of the screen and you then select characters with the stylus. I bought a USB rubber membrane keyboard on ebay for abt $10.

As near as I can tell, Opencpn doesn't know that it's running on a tablet. Whatever you buy will need to emulate the mouse positioning and right and left buttons.

If you still plan to mount in the cockpit, you will need some weather protection. Tablets (at least some tablets) are more rugged than laptops, but are not waterproof.
Thanks. That's what I was hoping to learn. I don't plan to mount in cockpit; I will mount on bulkhead at nav station down below. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards low power consumption, simplicity, and dedicated to navigation. I will use my laptop for other Windows apps. The tablet could run Windows or Ubuntu. I would like some external keyboard option for planning purposes; hopefully not be needed when underway.
Pete
Pete
Old 24-08-2011, 06:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
I use a Motion Computing LE1600 at the helm. Runs OCPN just fine. The 1600 was $200.00 on ebay. The 1600 is not waterproof. The newer ones are rated IP52 and better.

Paul
Thanks. I like the price range I see on eBay. I'm not too concerned about waterproof capability since I plan to mount it on bulkhead at nav station. Could you explain how you interface with OpenCPN. I understand that you need to emulate mouse. Also how do you enter characters?
Pete
Old 24-08-2011, 07:07   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Look at the Acer iconia w500. It runs windows 7. About $500.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn