Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 00:52   #421

Re: OpenCPN General

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to insert an existing waypoint (one already created) into an existing route as in Mapsource, where, when in route properties showing the list of waypoints in the route there is a button for "insert waypoint", which when pressed opens another dialog box showing all the waypoints in the .gpx file that is currently loaded. Is this available or should this be a future request?
glywn380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 09:22   #422

Boat: stich and glue, 19 ft wherry row/sail

If this is duplicate information, I apologize.
my platform is fedora linux and I was looking at the documentation for gdal and it has
support for reading bsb files. Unfortunately the rpm for gdal from fedora does not include
it. After compiling gdal with support for bsb, I tried converting some bsb from noaa to
geotiff. I used gdalinfo to verify that the georef info was still there.

http://home.gdal.org/projects/bsb/ipi.html -- this link from one of the gdal authors explains
his position of the bsb patent.
oystercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 09:04   #423

Boat: STARRATT & JENKS 45

Did a search to no avail...does open cpn install and run on the acer google chromebook?? 2gb memory and 320gb hdd C7 with atom processor...???
Old 02-02-2013, 11:17   #424

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardate2010 View Post
Did a search to no avail...does open cpn install and run on the acer google chromebook?? 2gb memory and 320gb hdd C7 with atom processor...???
If you install some normal Linux distribution on it, there probably should be no problem.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50   #425

Boat: STARRATT & JENKS 45

I just watched a youtube video about installing 12.xx ubuntu on the chromebook C 7...
18 min video, seems pretty helpful...
thanks
alan
Old 19-02-2013, 19:23   #426
cruiser

Mac Features

I'm not sure where else to post this, so if I'm in the wrong thread. please let me know where to go. (My lovely wife loves to tell me where to go. And what to do when I get there. Perhaps there are others who will share her enthusiasm. But I digress.)

There are features in the manual that are not working or are not implemented in the Mac version. I'm using the stable version, 3.0.2.

The first feature that I'm certain is not working is the mechanism to switch toolbars or manipulate the tools on the toolbar. Right clicking, control-clicking, control right clicking on a button in the toolbar does nothing except push the button.

Since bitching, whining and complaining are three of the skills I have in abundance, I would be happy to snivel about things I find in the Mac version. That said, it should be noted that I am brand new to OpenCPN, having just discovered it in the last week.

Furthermore, the possibility that I am simply wrong should never be discounted.

And now, with the disclaimers out of the way, I await the comments of the assembled wizards.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:40   #427

Jammer...
I suppose you refer to the online version of the manual, which follows the development and thus describes version 3.2, which will be released in the next days or maybe better say hours.
There are two more things to note: We are short of Macs. To be precise, the people actively writing the manual have 0 (zero) of them available. Still I would say I don't remember I have ever seen an opensource and hardly a commercial software with higher quality and up to date documentation. Said that, the whole manual is a wiki and anybody (yes, including you) can make it better.
You are right, bitching is awfully easy and pretty much anybody can be good at it fast and last long

Pavel
Old 22-02-2013, 05:01   #428

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
....There are two more things to note: We are short of Macs. To be precise, the people actively writing the manual have 0 (zero) of them available. .....Pavel
Pavel,

Should we start a donation campaign to obtain a Mac for the people who need them? When Dave asked for donations to purchase a Garmin radome for a plug in he was working on it took about a week to raise $1100 USD. I see no reason the community would not pitch in for other types of hardware that Dave and other key people need.

Ope
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 11:01   #429

Hi,

fyi the OSGeo Live Demo DVD version 6.5 has just been released, including OpenCPN. There was a little trouble reading in one of the ENC updates from NOAA in the last couple of weeks on one of the demo chart files included, but otherwise as expected. Due to the Debian release freeze the version is still at 2.5.0, but that's a nice version & it's a one button thing in the package manager to get 3.0 instead.

see
* Live GIS Disc Press Release
* OSGeo-Live 6.5 Homepage

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 11:19   #430
cruiser

is it this still available....

Great-circle Sailing | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I am using OpenCPN 3.0.2 and it does not work
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 12:14   #431

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
is it this still available....

Great-circle Sailing | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I am using OpenCPN 3.0.2 and it does not work
It never was available for 3.0.2. That page describe features only available in 3.1.1417, the current beta.
The next stable release, containing the great circle sailing feature and much, much more will be released in a couple of days.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 16:06   #432
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It never was available for 3.0.2. That page describe features only available in 3.1.1417, the current beta.
The next stable release, containing the great circle sailing feature and much, much more will be released in a couple of days.

Thomas

Thank you Thomas
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 21:45   #433

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

I just want to say, that with everybody adding more and more into OpenCPN, all the initial features and the plugins, it has become an outstanding system. It is no longer just a program. It can compete with anything out there that I have seen yet.I want to thank eveyone for their hard work and sacrifice in this endevour. My hat is off to you all. Thank you again, so much.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 14:37   #434

Send a message via Skype™ to angeline

Hi everybody,

I install the 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 12.10 on Acer 725, as complement of the master boat pc.
On the master pc, to be at the right place (when back by night), I Offset the Furuno GPS.

On the portable pc, it's steel working, but NMEA come from pendrive GPS, and I can't apply any offset.

Can we introduce an offset in Opencpn ?
I apologize if this topic whas discused before, I don't find.
Thank
angeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:21   #435

angeline...
Which type of charts? There is CM93 offset functionality for a long time. BSB charts can be easily corrected, so I suppose ENCs? Or do you really want to offset the GPS position? What for? I have never seen the GPS not being accurate under normal circumstances, but I have seen many, many charts being off...

Pavel