Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 07:08   #76
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.427

ejs...

Regarding excess "black space" above menu area on moto Xoom android 4.1.2:

I cannot reproduce this with the emulator setup for A4.1.2 that I have. Works as expected for me. No extra black space.

So, question:
Anyone else running Android 4.1 seeing the same effect as ejs?

My picture attached.

ejs picture and post:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=101055&d=1430172105

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1811557

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	android41.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	101936  
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 17:45   #77

Boat: Merchant Vessel Worldwide
Thumbs up Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.427

good day! where can I found the changelog from no.1-7 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello testers.

The 4.1.427 Alpha test release of OpenCPN for Android is available for download now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrnye0t3sf...1.427.apk?dl=0
Changelog:

8. Incorporate github master branch changes, including:
...Quilting of skewed raster charts.
...timed or manual toolbar hiding method.
9. Correct screen geometry calculations when android ActionBar is shown.
10. Improve ChartBar rendering geometry.
11. Improve StatusBar rendering geometry.

The big change here is automatic quilting of all raster charts, including skewed charts commonly seen in NOAA issues covering US east coast waters. You will also note some improved screen composition for the various android versions, with or without the android action bar enabled.

As a result of this Alpha test series, I am convinced that OA is generally compatible with a wide variety of android devices. Accordingly, this will be the last Alpha test of OA. We shall shortly move on to an "official" Beta series for OA, including Bug tracking and all that.

Thanks so much for all your patient help. Keep the feedback coming.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 12-05-2015, 18:56   #78

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiurong View Post
good day! where can I found the changelog from no.1-7 ?
Aqui, amigo:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1799479

still in alpha so changelog continues...? (Wow- the esoteric stuff I learn guess here! )
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 04:47   #79

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Compiled O v4.1.427 for Windows, with VS2010 + OpenCPN_buildwin-vc10.7z extracted into your top level OpenCPN source directory.

The ENC and BSB chart colors seem to be reversed for me. Is it some setting that got reversed? v4.0 is not doing this color switch now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reversed Colors-ENC.png
Views:	173
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	102065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reversed Colors-BSB.png
Views:	161
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	102066  

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:14   #80

A Miracle! on a 4" acer z220 Android 5.0 (an doncha ya jus l o v e ! that font?)

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-14-08-56-07.png
Views:	201
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	102094

Only by replacing the "conf" file though.

? I had to copy all the charts etc to internal sd...something going on here per permissions and "read-only" difficulties -peculiar to Android 5? but I am in a new2me channel and shoals abound.
Old 14-05-2015, 10:42   #81
Marine Service Provider

Happy....

Very cool.

Have you tried route creation yet? Any troubles with delayed screen refresh like JP has reported?

Thanks
Dave
Old 14-05-2015, 11:52   #82

Hi,Dave.
I am really not great at getting screengrabs on this...bloody sound dialogue keeps happening but anyways
Here is a route No lines between. Still, it's there! I tried my "place wpt on screen edge trick to scroll the chart....not sure if that made lines goaway

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-14-11-24-58.png
Views:	129
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	102111

Here is the dialogue Route manager..I'm going to export it!

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-14-11-25-30.png
Views:	150
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	102112

and here's where it gets (really) difficult as Ptizef found.
I was able to get to recognizeable places eventually but I had to dig myself out of O's peculiar default path on the phone first, despite having moved her to the internal sd card.

And then, a wasted effort as there's no way to move the dialogue over to hit the ok /export button.

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-14-11-28-30.png
Views:	144
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	102113

I get a little nervous because the aforementioned hole is a long way from where I would export anything to and I take Ptizef's warning of files/folders being moved accidentally very seriously.
Generally it seems to be this "second level" in browsing dialogues where things go awry and I can't shift the dialogues.Happened trying to load charts too.

I have a chart bar now, so I can test routes with rasters...

By the way, I can't get the tideinfos on this yet(pushnhold doesn't bring them up), though the tidebars are good enough

EDIT Belay that: tideinfos work.
Old 14-05-2015, 12:29   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
A Miracle! on a 4" acer z220 Android 5.0 (an doncha ya jus l o v e ! that font?)

Attachment 102094

Only by replacing the "conf" file though.

? I had to copy all the charts etc to internal sd...something going on here per permissions and "read-only" difficulties -peculiar to Android 5? but I am in a new2me channel and shoals abound.
Beginning with android 4.3 'security enhanced linux', or selinux is enabled by default. So, your device with android 5.0, called Lollipop, has selinux enabled.

Previously, the only obstacle to full user control and access to files and device components was related to restricted user permissions. This was overcome by 'rooting' a device. Selinux is a new obstacle related to the control of file permissions embedded in the linux kernel, even on rooted android devices.

Aside from rooting and installing a custom ROM with selinux disabled by default, replacing your stock ROM with a pre-4.3 android stock ROM or trying this android application [APP]SELinux Mode Changer. | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums , at this point there's not much else you can do.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 12:32   #84

..yes,there "refresh" problems, I think. some hesitation the tablet does not exhibit. enable/disable ChartBar, A crash or two when I moved the toolbar accidentally while trying to edit it.
If I turn the screen sideways that brings everything back sometimes.

I still get the wxwidgets debug alert on this device too...it ends with "colors_cnt"

I had to enable zoom buttons to use the rasters. This screen is so small and there's not a lot of real-estate to exercise my spatulates. and half the time it don't work.
Routes are easy to make with a bit of practise but lines are still kinda ghost-like. They dissappear as I move screen I tried thickening but no go. Change Colour "works" but same issue.
Old 14-05-2015, 12:41   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
@wrong
Yes,after reading yours, my older tablet looks better to me now after fooling around with this device. Google is in (my) every orifice.
But I can still turn off wifi for some alone-time...or, I think I am turning it off.
Old 14-05-2015, 14:06   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
@wrong
Yes,after reading yours, my older tablet looks better to me now after fooling around with this device. Google is in (my) every orifice.
But I can still turn off wifi for some alone-time...or, I think I am turning it off.
More truth than fiction. Even though network is disabled on my Xoom, in the notifications drop down is a message. "No service, selected network (T-Mobile) unavailable. And guess what, even with network disabled I can received promotional stuff from T-Mobile...

If this is all possible, even with network disabled my tablet remains a tracking device!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 19:13   #87

A Tip?
I was able to make the toolbar and gps indicator teeny-weeny on the screen by merely unchecking (disabling)

"Options/UserInterface/EnableTabletScaledGraphics"

No ill effects from this.except they are very small to tap.

"Alpha" she may be but it's marvellous to have a matchbook O.
Old 14-05-2015, 19:32   #88
Marine Service Provider

Happy...

Is that a good thing?

The point of that option is to make the UI objects actually large enough to use with a pudgy finger. I know on my 5.5" phone, I want the icons big enough to read and hit when touched, without a stylus. But to each her own...

FYI, we will be moving to a slider control that sets the size of most of the UI objects, so you may have your choice of touch-usable or teeny-weeny, and accommodating various system pixel dimensions. Soon now...

Personal note:
I wondered how I personally would use a phone-sized OCPN if I had one. And here is what I have found:

1. Underway, it is nice to have a small device independent from the ships dedicated nav computer that I can use to browse around and look at alternative routes, possible anchorages, review tide tables, etc. All from the comfort of my underway "couch". My first mate appreciates it too, as we pass it back and forth with discussion of "where are we going today", "remember this spot where we grounded last year?".

2. I use the ship's Wifi GPS/AIS feed to the device, so I can query AIS targets from my couch as well, again without disturbing the primary nav computer as it follows the ship patiently along.

3. There is actually something "magic" about having the world (by way of cm93 charts) in your pocket. I dunno, it just feels good.
Enough now.

Thanks for testing
Dave
Old 16-05-2015, 07:20   #89

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

May I preffer a light versión of opencpn.

The point its.... I have a HP Chromebox running underway with Ubuntu-Gnome. A 16" TV as a screen for it. The most of the time the screen is off to save power (CHBOX just sucks 0.8 A) but opencpn is running, plotting an routing if demanded, and kplex multiplexing.

To have a handy opencpn in a tablet or phone connected to NMEA data by WIFI is the main utility for me.

I can take a look around, check the approaching or check the AIS alarms when they sound in the CHBOX.

So, a complex, complete opencpn version for Android is not so necessary. ¿Or maybe yes?
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 08:26   #90

Boat: Hutting 45

Asus Nexus 7 2013, 1920x1280, 2GB Ram, rooted stock android 5.1.
Pretty much everything is working. Also the internal GPS. Some similar cosmetic issues as already mentioned with the fading gridlines, the cut off word Meters etc.
Only error I got was when disabling toolbar buttons; see screenshot.
Edit: answering no lets you continue, error repeats 2 more times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
It not only leaves room for the menu, but also another equal area above that that stays black. It also no longer allows using one of the full screen apps that Barnakiel found to get that area back to usable in O.
Thanks for your work, Eric
I had a similar issue, for me it was "fixed" by enabling the full screen app when you are already running OpenCPN. (I use Fullscrn Free)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvGwendolyn View Post

I have another issue, mouse control, I've plugged a mouse in to my tablet and am able to move the tool bar around but that's all I can do with it. I plan on using the tablet as a cockpit/couch device but was hoping to set up a small arm device and a 16inch screen at the nav table, since we now have Oa and a lot of these devices are available running android I'd like to stick to one operating system. Will full mouse support and wired instrument connectivity be worked into the android port?

Thanks again

Rich
Have you tried disabling Touchscreen interface? Every android device I have fully supports mouse and keyboard by default, has nothing to do with Oa.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-16-16-32-22.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	102202  
PietDeVries is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn