Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2019, 16:34   #1

Offset or Calibrate Wind Direction

My wind sensor wants a vertical mounting surface, but my solar arch is not vertical. However I was able to mount it onto the arch, but of course not in the correct orientation!

Is there a way to add an offset in degrees to the wind display? I wasn't able to find anything through research. I can fabricate a way to mount it correctly I'm sure but would like to see if this could work first
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 16:43   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Offset or Calibrate Wind Direction

What make/model of wind instrument, hard to help without that info, as the answer for some is 'yes' and others 'no'.

Also, if this has moving parts be aware that getting the mounting with the spinning axis at anything other than vertical will lead it both inaccurate readings and premature bearing wear.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 17:18   #3
Moo

Not in OCPN but there is usually a way on the instrument itself.

Just a thought - you could do it in OCPN with NMEA plugin just rewrite the same sentance with the offset maths.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 17:25   #4

It is the Davis Vantage Pro Anenometer, I don't believe there is a setting on the device itself. Manual says you need to use their software.

It is on the plane (horizontal and vertical as best as possible), but I had to rotate the mounting bar to ensure the device is sitting appropriately (so no concern for wear) but that means it is something like 160 degrees from where it should be with orientation

I suppose the plugin will work! Was looking for something just like this but was not able to find it through searching.
Old 29-03-2019, 12:16   #5
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
It is the Davis Vantage Pro Anenometer, I don't believe there is a setting on the device itself. Manual says you need to use their software.

It is on the plane (horizontal and vertical as best as possible), but I had to rotate the mounting bar to ensure the device is sitting appropriately (so no concern for wear) but that means it is something like 160 degrees from where it should be with orientation

I suppose the plugin will work! Was looking for something just like this but was not able to find it through searching.
Do you have a link to the device that you are using please?
Old 29-03-2019, 14:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Do you have a link to the device that you are using please?
Sorry, this is the device: https://www.davisinstruments.com/pro...2-vantage-pro/

Here is the manual: https://www.davisinstruments.com/pro...77_IM_6410.pdf

I will probably make a mounting bracket, as I figure this would be good for multiple instances of OpenCPN.
Old 29-03-2019, 15:02   #7
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Sorry, this is the device: https://www.davisinstruments.com/pro...2-vantage-pro/

Here is the manual: https://www.davisinstruments.com/pro...77_IM_6410.pdf

I will probably make a mounting bracket, as I figure this would be good for multiple instances of OpenCPN.
OK and what are you using to convert the pulse and resistance outputs to NMEA?
Old 29-03-2019, 15:06   #8

Good point. I'm using this device I purchased from Sean: https://pypilot.org/store/index.php?...product_id=126

However this: Anemometer & Vane

Which is linked on that page does have indicators that it can be realigned. Maybe I can adjust the connection to the windvane.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:07   #9

Hi All, Similar but different question. I’ve got ST50’s and using ST-STNG converter to connect to Evo 1 STNG network, I also use a Actisense to convert to NMEA0183 and input to Opencpn.
All data is the same across ST50, Evo 1 P70, and Opencpn beside wind direction. It’s alway 40 degrees different on STNG P70 and Opencpn.
If I change the calibration on ST50 unit, everything else follows, but still 30degrees out.

I understand there’s a NNEA converter plugin in Opencpn, could I just do a quick sum to change the data at least for Opencpn, then possibly it might back feed to P70.

I’m not that familiar with NMEA Sentences, and unsure if this plugin can do this.

Any NMEA converter wizards out there that can steer me in the right direction??

Cheers, Goodwinds
goodwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 13:24   #10
Moo

True / magnetic issue perhaps. Where are you? What is the magnetic declination there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwinds View Post
Hi All, Similar but different question. I’ve got ST50’s and using ST-STNG converter to connect to Evo 1 STNG network, I also use a Actisense to convert to NMEA0183 and input to Opencpn.
All data is the same across ST50, Evo 1 P70, and Opencpn beside wind direction. It’s alway 40 degrees different on STNG P70 and Opencpn.
If I change the calibration on ST50 unit, everything else follows, but still 30degrees out.

I understand there’s a NNEA converter plugin in Opencpn, could I just do a quick sum to change the data at least for Opencpn, then possibly it might back feed to P70.

I’m not that familiar with NMEA Sentences, and unsure if this plugin can do this.

Any NMEA converter wizards out there that can steer me in the right direction??

Cheers, Goodwinds
Old 07-10-2019, 16:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
True / magnetic issue perhaps. Where are you? What is the magnetic declination there?
In Sydney Oz, and about 12degree I think??? But how could it affect wind direction???
Old 07-10-2019, 16:58   #12
Moo

Sorry should have asked if it affects both true and apparent wind. True wind direction can be affected by all sorts of calculations, including heading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwinds View Post
In Sydney Oz, and about 12degree I think??? But how could it affect wind direction???
Old 07-10-2019, 18:10   #13

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
I’ve got ST50’s and using ST-STNG converter to connect to Evo 1 STNG network, I also use a Actisense to convert to NMEA0183 and input to Opencpn.

The raymarine st-stng converter converts ST to stng (same as nmea2000) which is raymarine's nmea2000 network (only different with respect to the connectors used).

What does your chartplotter show for wind, true & apparent?

Which Artisense are you using?
Are you converting from stnk (nmea2000) to nmea0183 or from ST to nmea0183?

You must recognize that the artisense is bidirectional. Additionally, the st-stnk is bidirectional. This is very definitely trouble, particularly with two converters operating!

First KISS. Disconnect the artisense and confirm the st-stnk converter is working properly using your new autopilot.

Once the main system operation and conversion is confirmed, attach the artisense and see if anything has changed.
Also, read the artisense manual and find out how to prevent bidirectional sentences you do not need. Configure your artisense to basically only allow tranmission by Opencpn, of the basic nmea sentences needed to control the autopilot (ECxxx sentences)

Read https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_to_autopilot
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 20:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Quote:
I’ve got ST50’s and using ST-STNG converter to connect to Evo 1 STNG network, I also use a Actisense to convert to NMEA0183 and input to Opencpn.

The raymarine st-stng converter converts ST to stng (same as nmea2000) which is raymarine's nmea2000 network (only different with respect to the connectors used).

What does your chartplotter show for wind, true & apparent?

Which Artisense are you using?
Are you converting from stnk (nmea2000) to nmea0183 or from ST to nmea0183?

You must recognize that the artisense is bidirectional. Additionally, the st-stnk is bidirectional. This is very definitely trouble, particularly with two converters operating!

First KISS. Disconnect the artisense and confirm the st-stnk converter is working properly using your new autopilot.

Once the main system operation and conversion is confirmed, attach the artisense and see if anything has changed.
Also, read the artisense manual and find out how to prevent bidirectional sentences you do not need. Configure your artisense to basically only allow tranmission by Opencpn, of the basic nmea sentences needed to control the autopilot (ECxxx sentences)

Read https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_to_autopilot
Thanks, great info.
Don’t have chart plotter, and old ST50 is only apparent wind I believe, as doesn’t have true/apparentl button. However prior to fitting Actisense the P70 still had wind direction wrong compared to ST50 wind display.
I asked Raymarine and they just said maybe output is faulty while wind speed, and all other data is ok on both displays(depth, SOG, Temp, Wind speed) only wind angle is wrong.
I believe the Actisense is STNG -NMEA0183(NGW-1 USB) so OpenCPN can read what’s on STNG.
I have a ST50 compass, and head unit was going crazy after fitting ST-STNG so I disconnected original Flux compass and now it displays the same as P70 and OpenCPN, so bi-directional seems to be working fine.

I thought there might have been a way using Plugin Converter to apply a 30degree offset on wind angle only. The other option being new Wind instrument, another ITC converter to STNG network, then let the STNG-ST send data to the old ST50 display. However big expense just to have the wind direction on P70 and Opencpn.
Windvane mode seems to work ok on some headings, mainly close hauled, however downwind I wouldn’t trust it, especially with Gybe inhibite... 30deg off would be a fun ride.

I was reading this, and thought there might be a way to offset wind angle by xx amount.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...nmea_converter
Old 08-10-2019, 02:56   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Goodwinds
Is wind instrument calibrated? What model?

Also please search forum for douwe posts on raymarine autopilot and read.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, wind