Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 16:45   #1096

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Håkan,
Thanks for the VDR file. I think I have fixed the problem with patch 642.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Jon
Thanks, I'm now on patch 641:

- sv.po: Now fine, thanks

- EBL length is now stable

Here's a link to my VDR file with COG, HDM, AIS targets etc. (You've to use WMM to get HDT)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Hakefjord.txt

Issue:
- If "Rotate with boat" is active and you place a new EBL, the end point is moved after creation to pick position + HDT/COG. So when the mouse button is released the EBL line rotates.
One example:
Run VDR "hakefjord.txt". Have "Rotate with boat" activated. Create a new EBL at around +30 degr. from the boats heading and you'll see what I'm trying to explain.

Then also try to move the end point.

Håkan
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 16:48   #1097

Gilletarom,
I only put my version of OCPN up to be sure that users would have a compatible version. 4.2 should be fine, for the moment.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Is it nesessairy to download and install this bêta of 4.2.xxxx ?
Old 04-02-2016, 16:54   #1098

Gilletarom,
There is an edit check on both the distance and angle text boxes and it will only allow you to put in numbers, a negative sign "-" for angle and a decimal point "." . You cannot put in more than one "." and the angles are limited to -180 -> 180 . This is working fine for me, but if you are getting issues it could be due to non-english, i.e. keyboard layout. Can you tell me what keyboard layout you are using and what the language setting was for the PC & OCPN at the time of the problem? I seem to remember from some time ago that certain languages use the ',' instead of '.', is this the case with you?

Jon

Quote:
hello Jongough,

Sorry, a little bug.

Create a EBL line. Try to change the length. So you use "Del" and so everything disappears.
Then try typing again a distance. You can then start typing a length. For example, you try to type 1.5 Nm. Impossible. You can just type the "1". Unable to enter the ". If you clic "ok" then you have 1.00.
Old 04-02-2016, 16:56   #1099

NAV,
You have to be using a new version, 641 I think, for this to be allowed. It was introduced to allow users to set the exact angle and distance they wanted rather than having to try and do it with the mouse.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
I can't change the length - via the properties window - of an existing EBL at all (I'm not using the latest version of Draw).
Old 04-02-2016, 21:13   #1100

Gilletarom,
This should be fixed with patch 643.

Jon

Quote:
Jongough,

Just a little detail :

Creating a DR. OK
Opening property this DR. OK
Deleting a segment (eg 3 to 4). OK
Therefore the end of the segment is disconnected from the road. We can move without problem. See screenshot. OK

This change of status waypoint: WP ---> "Boundary Point". OK
It now appears in the point OD manager. OK
In the OD point manager, you can open the properties of the item. OK

BUT, if we put the mouse over it, no context menu similar to that of the "boundary points". And not move it again or destroyed by this method.
Old 04-02-2016, 21:22   #1101

Rick,
This should work with 4.2 as there have been no changes that I have made that needed to update the API. I just have not pulled the latest repository with 4.2 in it.

There was an issue until 641 where you either could not change the length or when the boat moved it updated the length back to the original value.

I put a change in that freezes the length field if you put your cursor in it, and/or the angle field if you put your cursor in that. This allows you to change the field to what you want without the autoupdate undoing your change. The 'freeze' is removed when you close the dialog box, but not before.

I am hoping to freeze OD now so that we can deliver it into production. I really don't want to make any more functionality updates only fixes. If there is extra functionality wanted/required I would like to see flysprays raised.

I know someone wants the arrows on the EBL reversed so that it can be used for wind direction. I would need to think about it, but my gut feeling is it should be another tool, but this time either on or off and driven by input from OCPN via extended Position Fix information, but this will require changes to the API, so now would not hit production until the next release.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Will Ocpn_draw_#641 work with v4.2?
or is there a change in the opencpn.lib?
Was able to change the length without trouble. So I don't know what the problem is.

Old 04-02-2016, 21:29   #1102

Rick,
Some bright spark thought it would confuse. It probably did the first time then, once known, would be catered for.

But in some of the waters I use in Aus the colours/shapes are on the wrong side as well. Normally the Red/Can is to port and Green/Cone to Starboard in the direction of the incoming tide. BUT we have waterways where this is reversed as you can go from one entrance to another behind sand islands (Fraser Island, South Stradbroke Island) and the tide can flow in from both the South and the North. So they keep the orientation of the port and starboard bouys/posts through the change, and then at some point swap them over. It makes it interesting when you have a change in bouyage half way along a channel. But it only affects us 'small' stuff, the big boys are better catered for. Just some things you have to watch in the shallow water behind sand island at night with strong winds and VERY short STEEP seas!

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
By the way, I understand the American Revolutionaries changed the buoy colors on the Brits and the rest of the world has the buoy colors switched. We are used to red right returning.

How does this work in real life?
Old 04-02-2016, 23:28   #1103

Boat: Najad 34

Jon
re:"Thanks for the VDR file. I think I have fixed the problem with patch 642."

Yes! Very good. Now it works as expected. Many thanks.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 00:35   #1104

Jon
A closer study and the EBL angle to HDT/COG is changing over time. There may be a +/- sign playing here?

- Play the "Hakefjord.txt.
- Show COG and HDT prediction lines.
- Place a rotating EBL (Cog or HDT) at around 10 degr from the course and study what's happening. Sometimes the EBL and the course lines are moved in opposite directions and the EBL angle to course is gradually changing.

Håkan
Old 05-02-2016, 00:53   #1105

Håkan,
I have just done what you did and seen the problem. I have put up patch 645 to try and fix that. Can you please try this and see if it is better.

Thanks

Jon
Old 05-02-2016, 02:26   #1106

Jon
On patch 645:
Much better! Now the EBLs are following both COG and HDT respectively.
I'll continue testing but so far it looks reliable.

Thanks/ Håkan
Old 05-02-2016, 02:44   #1107

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Jongough,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Gilletarom,
There is an edit check on both the distance and angle text boxes and it will only allow you to put in numbers, a negative sign "-" for angle and a decimal point "." . You cannot put in more than one "." and the angles are limited to -180 -> 180 . ....I seem to remember from some time ago that certain languages use the ',' instead of '.', is this the case with you?
Jon
Indeed, this edit control works in strange ways. When I want to correct a value, I have to select the "left" and replace it. Then select the right part and modify it. I find normal to retype the whole numbers, including the ".".
We are well used to, here in France, use both the "." the "," with our AZERTY keyboards.

I am very surprised that in the heart of OpenCPN, we have no problem to change the distance and angles while this plugin is impractical.

He comes to the idea that if I erase everything with "del", your counter "." is not reset ???
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:55   #1108
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Gilletarom,
There is an edit check on both the distance and angle text boxes and it will only allow you to put in numbers, a negative sign "-" for angle and a decimal point "." . You cannot put in more than one "." and the angles are limited to -180 -> 180 . This is working fine for me, but if you are getting issues it could be due to non-english, i.e. keyboard layout. Can you tell me what keyboard layout you are using and what the language setting was for the PC & OCPN at the time of the problem? I seem to remember from some time ago that certain languages use the ',' instead of '.', is this the case with you?
In Holland (where I'm also used to the use of either decimal points or decimal comma's) the standard is a decimal comma.

In Draw (patch 641) I cannot enter a decimal point. I can enter a decimal comma, but after entering it I cannot enter a decimal figure.

I'm using a US keyboard and the language setting is Dutch.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:57   #1109

Jon
I've tried to really stress the rotating EBL on patch 645 and it's now very good!

Håkan
Old 05-02-2016, 03:02   #1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
In Holland (where I'm also used to the use of either decimal points or decimal comma's) the standard is a decimal comma.

In Draw (patch 641) I cannot enter a decimal point. I can enter a decimal comma, but after entering it I cannot enter a decimal figure.

I'm using a US keyboard and the language setting is Dutch.
The Swedish use is the same e.g. decimal comma instead of point.
This is not an obstacle in the OCPN world only. So I've ended up in changing my Windows international settings to use decimal point although my system language is Swedish.
Håkan