Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 09:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
New Grib Presentation

I would like to propose for testing new grib features .
I am sorry this could be redundant as another version is being developed
but I did know when I started ;

It"s not a new plugin but only an evolution of the current one
- At the start , you need to set the preferences : In addition to the usual , you will be able to choose the time format and the possibility to complete some missing grib records ( this functionality is the same as in Zygrib)

-Clicking on the grib icon will display the panel and the data of the youngest file found in the memorized grib folder and the nearest forecast from "now" will automatically be selected.
In the display and control panel (shot1) you will find a drop-down list and six buttons in the first top line . The drop-down list shows the forecast time you can choose . The first and second buttons are previous and next forecast .
The third button allow to re-select directly the nearest forecast from "now" (the one selected at the start)

The next open the memorized file directory to open a new file . If you select a file in another folder , this new path will be memorized . If you want to select a folder where there is no file , type any name . You will have "Empty directory" message but the path will be memorized.

The next button (with a small red heart) open the data selection panel (shot grib2). there are 2 parts : -data shown in the numeric panel - graphical data shown ( wind barbs , isobars lines and you can choose one of the coloured maps available)
In the numeric panel , data are displayed by lines of three . thus if you select, for example, four data , only two lines will be displayed .Only nine data can be displayed at a time (three lines). As there are ten possibilities , the last one , if ten are selected , will be hide.

The last button to the right allow to prepare an eMail to Saildocs.
To use this fonctionnality , it is better to know Saildocs or to visit the site at Home Page
clicking on this button will display the request profile memorized ( shot grib3 ). You can accept (send) or modify . In this case a request selection panel will be displayed to select what you want (shot grib4) .
Note : This is a very simplified function : The plugin do not really send an email , but open your local email system with an email prepared . You have just to click "send" . Be careful : You must have a valid email environnement on your PC and it must be set as the default email system
The zone selected will be the one you see on your screen (rounded at the degree above ) Be careful , a large zone will increase dramaticaly the file size !

To test you can replace the grib_pi.dll file in OpenCPN/plugins by the one attached ( rename it to suppress .doc)
Sources are available at
https://github.com/Ptizef/OpenCPN/ branch NEW_GRIB
To compile its ,as I used the MAPI function of wxWidgets, you will need to copy the entire folder "net" from
wxWidgets-2.8.12\contrib\include\wx
to
wxWidgets-2.8.12\include\wx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grib1.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	57511   Click image for larger version

Name:	grib2.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	57512  

Name:	grib3.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	57513   Click image for larger version

Name:	grib4.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	57514  

Attached Files
File Type: doc grib_pi.dll.doc (324.5 KB, 364 views)
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:11   #2

Re: New grib presentation

Just a precision : only Windows off course and tested with XP and Vista , but neither with W7 nor with W8 ... And not with all the email systems existing !

JP
Old 21-03-2013, 11:15   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

Trying to compile on Ubuntu 12.10 amd64, I get this error
Quote:
[ 69%] Building CXX object plugins/grib_pi/CMakeFiles/grib_pi.dir/src/grib_pi.cpp.o
In file included from /home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/Ptizef/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/grib_pi.h:45:0,
from /home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/Ptizef/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/grib_pi.cpp:37:
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/Ptizef/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/grib.h:45:26: fatal error: wx/net/email.h: No such file or directory
It seems that "wx/net/email.h" was included in libwxgtk2.4-contrib-dev, but not in my current libwxgtk2.8.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 12:57   #4

Thomas ...

there are two new files to put in
OpenCPN\plugins\grib_pi\src/ :
email.cpp
smapi.cpp

(they are part of wxWidgets.2.8.12/contrib/src/net but have been slightly modified)

regards

Jean Pierre

here attached (with .doc to be removed ) (they are also in git)
Very interesting to know if it works with Linux, I have no knowledge of this OS

thanks
Jean Pierre
Attached Files
File Type: doc email.cpp.doc (3.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: doc smapi.cpp.doc (16.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 21-03-2013, 14:36   #5

Boat: Najad 34

Ptizef..
Great, really great!
Test on WinXP, OCPN 3.2.0, No OpenGL, MS Outlook 2003 SP3.

-My present preferences from "enhanced grib" was directly adapted - Nice.
-My present grib files was from saildocs so everything is visible and nice drawn on screen.
-Viewed date-time is presented with weekday, good!
-There are no translations to Swedish. Did you connect to the present "opencpn-grib_pi.mo" system?
-The mail function is a very nice feature and basically it works good, not less the area catching from OCPN is really handy, well done. One comment (If I manage to explain this in English, please ask if I'm unclear):
After selecting the file contents and press "Send" a new mail is opened with all contents and with a correct mail address but the mail window is behind and covered by the OCPN window. And I can't make it to foreground and active by either mouse click on the bottom program list nor "Alt-Tab". Neither the mail, the Outlook or the OCPN windows are present in the Alt-Tab list. The only way to activate the hidden mail window is to activate the OCPN window with a mouse click on its upper frame. Then after a fast, so to say, double screen switch/blink the mail window and the grib select window comes in to foreground. The mail can now be sent or deleted and all is back to normal again. Ok, it works when you've learned but maybe this wasn't your intention?
-Was this described understandably enough???

Thanks for a nice plugin.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:00   #6

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Ptizef,

Have you tried my enhanced grib branch?

https://github.com/seandepagnier/Ope...b_enhancements

branch is grib_enhancements.

Maybe we can work to merge because we implemented different features.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:19   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

Ptizef...
Very nice. With the help of https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/com...f58f136c3d8d9b it builds and runs fine on Linux. I'm not sure if it's a proper fix though - will have to have a look whether there's a -dev package available for wx contrib stuff.
The only thing that does not work is opening the mailer (as expected), but I haven't looked into it at all.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 00:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Ptizef,

Not yet . In fact I heard very recently you were working on the same project
but I have planed to do it very soon.
And yes I would be interesting to add our eforts
JP
Old 22-03-2013, 01:02   #9

Hakan

Thanks for your comment
I understand at the beginning but it's not clear for me what appends when the email is created and why you can't open the email window by just clicking on the corresponding tab at the screen bottom .
In the shot attached , you can see three interesting tabs : One for OpenCPN window , one for the main email system window and one for the pre-filled email . Clicking on this last tab put the corresponding window on the top allowing me to send it definitively
This shot comes from a Vista device but I have a small 10' XP and have exactly the same behaviour
Is it different for you ?

I agree this is a very basic function . My first willing was to offer the user the possibility to send an eMail directly from O without passing throught the mail system , but for the moment I was obliged to reduce my willing due to my knowledge and time

Regard
Jean Pierre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	57561  
Old 22-03-2013, 07:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Hakan

Thanks for your comment
......In the shot attached , you can see three interesting tabs : One for OpenCPN window , one for the main email system window and one for the pre-filled email . Clicking on this last tab put the corresponding window on the top allowing me to send it definitively
This shot comes from a Vista device but I have a small 10' XP and have exactly the same behaviour
Is it different for you ?
>> Yes, very strange but it's different. I have the tabs but they are not functional. A click on the "grib request" tab does lower it but nothing else happens. The same for OCPN tab. The one and only way to get the mail window in front is to, as said, click on the OCPN window upper frame. But -- I don't think this should bother you to much if it's isolated to my PC. I've an old mail program, sometimes bad video card and other similar things. So if no one else is having the same behaviour -- let it be with that.

[QUOTE/]
I agree this is a very basic function . My first willing was to offer the user the possibility to send an eMail directly from O without passing throught the mail system , but for the moment I was obliged to reduce my willing due to my knowledge and time [/QUOTE]

>>The intention with your functions is very good. Let's be patient and here from others as well before you give it up. For me the function is handy enough to withstand the small disadvantages from the strange window behaviour. My intention is only to make a test feedback. Not to blame.

Håkan
Old 22-03-2013, 16:48   #11

To continue:
To extend your mail service I use a small script in outlook used in a rule for messages from saildoc including an attached file:

Code:

Public Sub saveAttachtoDisk(itm As Outlook.MailItem)
    Dim objAtt As Outlook.Attachment
    Dim saveFolder As String

saveFolder = "C:\Documents and Settings\has\Mina dokument\håkan\Grib"
        For Each objAtt In itm.Attachments
            If (Right(objAtt.DisplayName, 3) = "grb") Then
                objAtt.SaveAsFile saveFolder & "\" & objAtt.DisplayName
            End If

Set objAtt = Nothing

Next

End Sub
Then when the return mail arrives it is saved in the grib folder.

Håkan
Old 23-03-2013, 06:55   #12

Code updated with Fix from Nohal for multi-platform adaptation - Thanks to him - can be found at
https://github.com/Ptizef/OpenCPN/

It should built with linux now

here also attached the new .dll for Windows tests (no behavior change since last one)

regards
Jean Pierre
Attached Files
File Type: doc grib_pi.dll.doc (234.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 23-03-2013, 07:23   #13

Hakan ...

1) tab windows behaviour :
Ok let's wait for what will happen

2) Your additional script :
Very good and useful extend . Unfortunately, it's specific to Outlook ! but not all users know this possibility.

3) I mess your question about translation :
As this grib plugin structure is the same as official one , this should be easy . That was not my first priority but I'll have a look at it

Thanks again
Jean Pierre
Old 23-03-2013, 16:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
here also attached the new .dll for Windows tests (no behavior change since last one)

regards
Jean Pierre
JP..
The attached windows .pi file seems to be the "old" official grib file ???
See dump.
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grib_prt_scr.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	57719  
Old 23-03-2013, 21:19   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

boat_alexandra:
Quote:
Ptizef,
This makes good sense to me. Sean has implemented video playback and control of various types of gribs and display. Pitzef has implemented step by step controls, date time interface, controls for the grib display, and a saildocs email function.

The dovetail very well in terms of features, I think.

By the way, using Thunderbird email it was very easy to retrieve customized gribs from saildocs. Also earlier I was going to say that this grib is useful too, ...but how much more useful if they were brought together?

I believe Sean has the grib_pi (grib_enhancements) working fine for Windows now. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1192838
Have not tested the full gamut of gribs but I did test all the gribs I had on my drive, including wind, pressure, current, sea temp. did not do clouds or precip, etc.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote