Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2011, 16:17   #91

Boat: swain 36
Tore - see the folder listing in my previous screen shot - sorted by file name, the kap file created by map2kal has a space in front, unlike the original - Mik
EllaGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 16:45   #92

Tore -Editing the .kap file to include NU=GE9999 does not work (see screenshot). Chart displays in opencpn but not in Maptech Chart Navigator....???
I will try making a .bsb file next.

Mik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map2kap in maptech.png
Views:	450
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	23773  
Old 14-02-2011, 09:25   #93

Boat: Dufour 35
There was indeed a space at the start of the name, in the charts produced by map2kap.Fixed in version 0.1.11. I also change the NU value from, just repeating the NA value to NU=Chart123.

I can't test the charts on "maptech chart navigator", but it's easy enough to to change the text header in the kap file if necessary. We just need to pinpoint exactly what is needed.

Thomas

map2kap_0.1.11.rb.zip.doc
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 10:05   #94

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
EllaGaroo / Thomas..

Either I need new glasses,OR, both the original AND the final .kap files have a space
in the beginning of the name. See attached cut-out from the CMD window and the
local directory.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_05 Feb. 14 16.00.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	23790  
Old 14-02-2011, 10:24   #95

Thomas..

I just noticed that if you leave the NU= blank when configuring the chart in MapCal,it will not run in Fugawi ENC,SeaClear,OziExplorer or MaxSea which it otherwise does without problems. Changing the header afterwards does not seem to work though.

Tore
Old 14-02-2011, 10:32   #96
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Thomas..

I just noticed that if you leave the NU= blank when configuring the chart in MapCal,it will not run in Fugawi ENC,SeaClear,OziExplorer or MaxSea which it otherwise does without problems. Changing the header afterwards does not seem to work though.

Tore
Did you run bsbfix after modifying the header?

Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
There was indeed a space at the start of the name, in the charts produced by map2kap.Fixed in version 0.1.11. I also change the NU value from, just repeating the NA value to NU=Chart123.

I can't test the charts on "maptech chart navigator", but it's easy enough to to change the text header in the kap file if necessary. We just need to pinpoint exactly what is needed.

Thomas

Attachment 23789
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
EllaGaroo / Thomas..

Either I need new glasses,OR, both the original AND the final .kap files have a space
in the beginning of the name. See attached cut-out from the CMD window and the
local directory.

Tore
Note that in your screen shots it clearly says it is version 0.1.10. cagney says it was fixed in 0.1.11

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:10   #97

I forgot to change the version in the code, so the 0.1.11 says 10 when running it.Corrected here http://opencpn.org/sites/default/fil...0.1.11.rb_.zip.

At the same time Tore's pic shows the signs of 0.1.10, as the kap name has a leading space but the picture hasn't, as far as I can see.

Thomas
Old 14-02-2011, 11:44   #98

Thomas..

"Much to do abouth nothing" ... but I misunderstood and thought the CMD line was entered by hand and by mistake added a space after the first two letters,which would then also become the name of the ouput .kap.

Now I realize it's a program error I will install the latest version.. Enough said!!!

Tore
Old 22-02-2011, 09:31   #99

map2kap - OziExplorer to OpenCPN

I have made an exe wrapper around map2kap, in a dedicated windows version, that do not need a separate ruby installation. You still need to install: Libtiff(tiffinfo). ImageMagic(convert) and libbsb(tif2bsb).
This version, otherwise, works as described earlier in this thread.
For some quick help, just run the program from the command-line with no arguments.
Download map2kap_0.1.11.rb

Thomas
Old 28-02-2011, 11:03   #100

Convert

A lesson learned on another project.......

There is "convert" in the ImageMagic suite, used in Map2Kap.
There is also a Microsoft "convert" to convert FAT file-systems into NTFS. Even if ImagMagic is correctly installed, the right path added to the PATH, it may not work due to the Microsoft convert. I'm pretty sure that all Win XP has this MS-convert. What about Vista and 7?

Two solutions comes to mind, either edit the source file and give the full path to ImageMagic- convert, instead of just "convert" or do as "HappySeagull" put ImageMagic Convert and necessary dll:s in the same directory as Map2Kap.

In the next version I'll move things around a bit to make it possible for users to change the path at the very top of the ruby file, instead of having to search through the code.

Thomas
Old 28-02-2011, 17:13   #101

Boat: 29'
Re: map2kap - OziExplorer to OpenCPN

Hi,Cagney-actually,I've honed and learned yet further... IF the image files that Ozi map files refer to is not a tiff,I DO need imagemagick (and it's path)-a nice map2kap feature,alright,converting em for me...but,

BUT no imagemagick installation or "convert" is needed at all IF the OZI map file refers to a tif.just some of the stuff from libbsb..

Recipe : Batchconvert the ozi images to suitable,16 to 128 colour tifs,hide the old ones, then redirect Ozi when it whines, and save the corrected mapfile in the same folder you keep these tifs!....or just directly edit the map file.The mapfile and image file MUST have the same name- no spaces -and be in the same folder as map2kap....This is a great way to clean up your Ozi stuff too-mine was a mess.Also,it helps to know that Ozi doesn't need the whole path to the image IF the image is in the same folder as the map file.So,you can drag em out of the workfolder into anywhere you like(together with their images)when they've been cloned as kaps.This is pretty convenient portability that I never had before.
Because I've been doing a bunch of old Maptech "hdrs" lately,I capture and save these as 16 colour tifs in the first place I then edit the map file as a copy(same names-no spaces)to refer to the tif(or as above).Then,Map2kap does em to nice kaps with LIGHTNING speed...faster than I can type the commands almost.Preparation is everything,like a flaked down coil of line...

It seems involved but IF I'd been in tifs in the first place,and had used my ozi more logically(without maps in one folder,and the images in many others etc etc),this would be near-instant conversion.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04   #102

Name:	map2kapMinimal.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	24392
Cagney,my idea would be for a portable version of map2kap,self-contained.The user would have to know how to make the tifs required though.
Pictured is my working minimal,using tifs,nothing installed or pathed- just the tweaked Ozifiles copied to the work folder:
jpeg62.dll,libimage.dll,libpng13.dll,libtiff3.dll, map2kap0.1.011.exe(renamed for cmd line brevity),tif2bsb.exe.tiffinfo.exe,zlib1.dll ...and then the source "map",tif and resulting kap.
the cmd shortcut has its "start in" box cleared(per right-click"properties"),so it,too is portable.

bsbfix.exe is also in there.It's not required,but sometimes might save a kap that is nogood due to bad source files.I seem to be able to just drag new kaps onto it without a cmd line... but it may still be necessary to check and redo the sources...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12   #103

Peeve per Ozi ...Ozi creates it's map files with spaces in the name,taken from the header of whatever file it sourced,and these make it a nuisance to a cmd line....it complicates recipes,don't it?
Old 01-03-2011, 22:37   #104

but can't you just enclose file name in quotes?
kind of like...
c:\>md "test this"
c:\>cd "test this"
c:\test this>

Mik
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36   #105

EllaGaroo:Thanks!and a Good point!I'm not very swift on cmd lines but ,yes, I should know that!seagulls haven't much room upstairs....
...and I'm lazy too.I went and found a "space remover" online after posting -"RenameFiles2.3b" from Fibrecode- a freebie....it'll save typing the " around the names so I can copy+paste as much as possible.