Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52   #1

Boat: 1911, 6mR, 31 ft
Installing OpenCPN in OpenSUSE 12.2_x86-74

Hi!

Was really glad when I found Your OpenCPN! At last perhaps a working solution for Linux, I thought!
Since early 2000 I got along quite well with Fugawi, an excellent appl but proprietary and up to now only for Windows, not even MacOS.

Well, I thought I should try and install it today, at first the 3.0.2 rpm-version from software.opensuse.org:.

I immediately got stuck among the prerequisites:
I followed the suggestions for OpenSUSE from the site opencpn.org:
Beside the compiling dependencies that all were solved (in case I would try the src)
I could not find:
libportaudio: only found libportaudio2 is that good enough?
libportaudio-dev: no way, not in suse repos, neither from "free search"
libgps19-devel: no way, not in suse repos, neither from "free search"
Had some problems with MesaGLw-devel as well but finally found it at rpm.pbone.net in version 7.10.2 64-bit.

I'm not very familiary with those four, but guess that mesa and portaudio has anything to do with sound-signals in OpenCPN? And perhaps this is not cruical in my case.
But I think that libgps19-devel is, probably a library for gps-connections or something like it?

Can you please help me to find them?

Best regards
Lars
larsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Installing OpenCPN in OpenSUSE 12.2_x86-74

Lars...

Perhaps you will have better luck with the 3.1.1328 Release Candidate.
There have been many improvements, including some efforts to clear up any difficult dependencies.

Given our release schedule and limited resources, we don't expect to spend much more effort on 3.0.2 install problems.

A generic RPM for 3.1.1328 is available on the opencpn.org downloads page. You may also want to try compiling 3.1.1328 for Suse from source. This you can get from github, and build instructions are available also on opencpn.org.

Let us know how this works out.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:16   #3

Thank you Dave for your reply!

I tried to reformulate my question this morning because I had obviously confused your instruction for building from source with installing from binary. -I was never allowed to sent it because "my activities seemed suspicious"! Is your site perhaps somewhat paranoid? I've never met anything like it in any of the four Linuxfora I'm a member of.

Any way, during the day I finally got it working and I'm quite certain now of what dependencies I had to add (at least they work !
I had it reading charts in bsb-kap, geo-nos and ENC-S57 format and connect to my -fairly old- Garmin GPS76 (serial) through an Aten Serial to USB Bridge, and everything seems to work allright !
I must say you've managed to launch the best GPL Navigation Software I've seen in 9 years!! Congratulations! And my respect!

I'll consider your suggestion, but can I ask a few questions about the differences between 3.02 and 3.1:
-Have you added some other chart formats to what OpenCPN manages to read? (*.wci or *.fx3? Not *.rik for instance, I know it's very local )
-Is it possible in v. 3.1 to import wpts, routes and tracks directly from an older Garmin GPS, or do I have to go via *.gpx?

Regards
Lars
Old 04-02-2013, 01:24   #4

Can I complete my question above with one related to your suggestion?

I'm not very used to compiling and up to now I have only made plain installations of src, cmake I've never met.

In your OpenCPN-site under "Compiling - Linux" there is a line:
"To make a 64 bit package, don't forget to use -DARCH as described above."

Could you please explain that? It isn't described above and I've dug through the mans of make and cmake and searched internet without being able to find anything.

Could you please describe where (make or cmake) and how I use it? I've got an x86-64-system on AMD.

Regards
Lars
Old 04-02-2013, 05:39   #5

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsed View Post
In your OpenCPN-site under "Compiling - Linux" there is a line:
This sentence was forgotten from a previous version. Platform and arch should be guessed just fine now. If not, please say so.
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ../
$ make
$ su -c "make install"

Should do the job.

You can use "cmake -DPREFIX=/usr ../" if you prefer installing to /usr rather than /usr/local
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33   #6

Thank you SethDart!

That made it somewhat less puzzling. Nevertheless, compiling from source was not "a piece of cake"

Dave wrote:
Quote:
You may also want to try compiling 3.1.1328 for Suse from source. This you can get from github, and build instructions are available also on opencpn.org
Let us know how this works out..
I'm not very experienced in compiling but I can say it didn't!

With all respect to your "release schedule and limited resources" I found the instructions confusing and compared to the build requisites in opencpn.spec.in for version 3.1.1328 contradictory. -I also wondered why there was no opencpn.spec.in for the current stable version? I would have been a help!

I will not be very verbous here (can give you more information if you want to though!)
but in short I can say that the instruction for OpenSUSE on opencpn.org did work for the 3.0.2-version. But even in combination with the build requirements from opencpn.spec.in for version 3.1.1328 + some build-trial-and-error additions (f.i. rpm-build, though I had rpmbuild installed, and bzip2-devel-1.0.6-7.fc18.x86_64.rpm,
bzip2-libs-1.0.6-7.fc18.x86_64.rpm, mesa-libGL-devel-9.0.1-3.fc18.x86_64.rpm, mesa-libGLU-devel-9.0.0-1.fc18.x86_64.rpm For Fedora, though I had Mesa-libGLU-devel and Mesa-libGL-devel installed) the 3.1.1328 wouldn't build.

Me and a friend have spent almost 8 hours with this without success. My last trial, after adding the last packages above ended with:
"[ 61%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/src/scrollingdialog.cpp.o
make[2]: *** Ingen regel för att skapa målet "/usr/lib64/libGLU.so", som behövs till "opencpn". Stannar.
(translation: make[2]: *** No rule to create the target "/usr/lib64/libGLU.so", needed for "opencpn". Stannar.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/all] Fel 2
make: *** [all] Fel 2"

Regards
Lars
Old 05-02-2013, 19:23   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

Lars...
None of the developers actually uses SuSE, so we depend on external contributions here - The instructions are a wiki page, so feel free to correct whatever is not accurate or changed on SuSE to get the current code to build successfully...

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:16   #8

Quote:
With all respect to your "release schedule and limited resources" I found the instructions confusing and compared to the build requisites in opencpn.spec.in for version 3.1.1328 contradictory. -I also wondered why there was no opencpn.spec.in for the current stable version? I would have been a help!
I think you're mixing things here: opencpn.spec.in is only a template used by cmake/cpack to create our package. It's not a full spec that can be used with rpmbuild. It's added very recently because we had some problems with latest Fedora (rpms build would not install, conflicts problems) If you want to create a package instead of installing it directly (running sudo -c "make install") you should run make package
I've just tested on my OpenSuSE virtual machine, unfortunately current beta fails because of wrong requirements set in opencpn.spec.in
I've just pushed an update to master to solve this. If you pull the latest master, it should build fine (read below first for your other problem).

Quote:
Me and a friend have spent almost 8 hours with this without success. My last trial, after adding the last packages above ended with:
make[2]: *** Ingen regel för att skapa målet "/usr/lib64/libGLU.so", som behövs till "opencpn". Stannar.
(translation: make[2]: *** No rule to create the target "/usr/lib64/libGLU.so", needed for "opencpn". Stannar.
I encountered this problem once, cmake had messed up it's internal rules. The easiest way to get it right is to remove the whole build cache and start from scratch:
cd opencpn/build/
rm -fr CMake*
cmake -DPREFIX=/usr ../
make
make package

Warning: you should set prefix to /usr as above or cpack will raise an error. I'm still searching for a correct solution for this...

Jean-Eudes
Old 06-02-2013, 02:35   #9

I've uploaded a test rpm built with my OpenSuSE 11.4 x86_64
You can download it here: http://je.onfray.fr/dl/opencpn_3.1.1405-1_x86_64.rpm
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56   #10

At first Thank you Pavel!
But since I am a very inexperienced compiler and besides extremely unused to OpenCPN I do not dare edit the build instructions on OpenCPN.org!

Though I can here add what I had in mind for you to supervise and perhaps add:
First the note from SethDart:
Quote:
This sentence was forgotten from a previous version.
Second, I attach the requirements (I cannot separate the build-requirements from the application's here) I found were necessary in openSUSE-12.2, here by referring to my final zypper in command:
Code:
# zypper install git cmake gcc-c++ libbz2-devel gettext-runtime gettext-tools libstdc++-devel gtk2-devel Mesa-libGLU-devel Mesa-libGL-devel gpsd gpsd-devel desktop-file-utils wxWidgets-wxcontainer-devel libportaudio2 libgps20 tinyxml-devel rpm-build
I think it basically is what is said in your instruction with some changes and some additions, as: gpsd, gpsd-devel, tinyxml-devel and rpm-build.

Perhaps it can be to some help for you? At least I hope so!

I now open a second Reply for my answer to Jean-Eudes.

Best regards
Lars
Old 06-02-2013, 11:19   #11

Thank you very much indeed Jean-Eudes!

For sorting things about opencpn.spec.in for me! You see I looked around everywhere for a valid list of dependencies/requirements when I found that the zypper install list from opencpn.org instructions were not enough, even for install.

Then for uploading a fresh master .1405 that I took down + the -DPREFIX=/usr suggestion that made it possible to try again, and now perhaps with a better result! I made four trials, all four with fresh git-DL's. All failed on make package. With same output that I refer below as 'first 6 trials'

Finally for your supply of your test rpm opencpn_3.1.1405-1_x86_64.rpm. I took it down and tried to install it, and failed.

-I think I maybe have got a hunch, or at least a wild idea, of what may be the problem?
Perhaps it's connected to differences between Fedora and Suse, or with changes in libs in Suse? -I think it's related to:
bzip2-devel (in openSUSE-12.2 libbz2-devel): requires;
bzip2-libs (in openSUSE-12.2 libbz2-1)
mesa-libGL-devel (in openSUSE-12.2 Mesa-libGL-devel)
mesa-libGLU-devel (in openSUSE-12.2 Mesa-libGLU-devel)
(perhaps also rpmbuild that's a part of the rpm-package in Suse12.2, but wasn't good enough for make package, adding rpm-build solved it)

I didn't give you the full picture of my build-failures above, just the final chapter.
Here is the full one that ended with a disaster.
My first 6 trials to build 3.1.1328 failed in make package with (first on rpm-build):
Code:
CPackRPM:Warning: CPACK_SET_DESTDIR is set (=ON) while requesting a relocatable package (CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_RELOCATABLE is set): this is not supported, the package won't be relocatable.
CPackRPM: Will use USER specified spec file: /home/larse/bin/OpenCPN-git/Beta/OpenCPN/opencpn.spec.in
CPackRPM:Debug: You may consult rpmbuild logs in: 
CPackRPM:Debug:    - /home/larse/bin/OpenCPN-git/Beta/OpenCPN/build/_CPack_Packages/Linux/RPM/rpmbuild.err
CPackRPM:Debug: *** fel(error): Ouppfyllda byggberoenden:
	bzip2-devel behövs av(needed by) opencpn-3.1.1328-1.x86_64
	mesa-libGLU-devel behövs av(needed by) opencpn-3.1.1328-1.x86_64
	mesa-libGL-devel behövs av(needed by) opencpn-3.1.1328-1.x86_64
My friend succeeded to "make install" but as me failed in making a package!

Well, it had nagged enough! I had the corresponding libs (libbz2-1, libbz2-devel, Mesa-libGL-devel, Mesa-libGLU-devel) in Suse, but make package couldn't use them. I reluctantly downloaded the Fedora-packages:
bzip2-libs-1.0.6-7.fc18.x86_64
bzip2-devel-1.0.6-7.fc18.x86_64
mesa-libGLU-devel-9.0.0-1.fc18.x86_64
mesa-libGL-devel-9.0.1-3.fc18.x86_64
and installed them. In my experience Fedora-packages sometimes work in Suse, sometimes lead to a disaster (here it came later.

After this make failed instead, and earlier. And with the output I showed you before:
Code:
Now I uninstalled the Fedora-packages (and there came the disaster... think you can imagine;-) and after repair took down your new beta .1405 and were back on the failures above:
bzip2-devel behövs av(needed by) opencpn-3.1.1328-1.x86_64
mesa-libGLU-devel behövs av(needed by) opencpn-3.1.1328-1.x86_64
mesa-libGL-devel behövs av(needed by) opencpn-3.1.1328-1.x86_64[/

And when finally the installation of your test-rpm failed because of bzip2-dependency it finally rang a small bell in the dark? Perhaps Suse 11.4 as well used bzip2-libs, Suse12.2 has changed to libbz2.

Many thanks for your kind help!

My very best regards

Lars
Old 06-02-2013, 11:50   #12

Sometimes thinking comes afterwards!

Jean-Eudes,
It was your remark:
Quote:
opencpn.spec.in... ... is added very recently because we had some problems with latest Fedora (rpms build would not install, conflicts problems)
. together with what I saw unconciously when I wrote my reply:
Code:
CPackRPM: Will use USER specified spec file: /home/larse/bin/OpenCPN-git/Beta/OpenCPN/opencpn.spec.in
How about simply removing it? The 3.0.2-build without it worked. Or perhaps edit it and exchange
bzip2-devel -> libbz2-devel and
mesa-libGLU-devel -> Mesa-libGLU-devel
mesa-libGL-devel -> Mesa-libGL-devel

as I said above: I'm no compiler, don't be harsh !

Lars
Old 07-02-2013, 02:54   #13

Quote:
How about simply removing it? The 3.0.2-build without it worked. Or perhaps edit it and exchange
bzip2-devel -> libbz2-devel and
mesa-libGLU-devel -> Mesa-libGLU-devel
mesa-libGL-devel -> Mesa-libGL-devel
Hi,

Unfortunately, it's required for Fedora as of (just released) Fedora 18. It'll be also required for others rpm platform when they switch to rpm >= 4.10 (this version is way more strict with file conflicts...)
The long term solution is to get the dependencies right and stick to this spec template.

I did some extended testing with OpenSuSE and Fedora and pushed another change to our packaging solution. It works for me: dependencies are set, rpm can be installed and will pull required deps if not yet installed. OpenCPN runs just fine on my VM now.

Can you test this rpm and report?
http://je.onfray.fr/dl/opencpn_3.1.1405-2_x86_64.rpm

You can build your own with the above recipe (make package)

Jean-Eudes
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33   #14

Jean-Eaudes

I'll help you in anyway I can but then you must be far more expressive (lucid) in what/how you mean!
I've stressed that I am no compiler.

Quote:
"Unfortunately, it's required for Fedora as of (just released) Fedora 18. It'll be also required for others rpm platform when they switch to rpm >= 4.10 (this version is way more strict with file conflicts...)
The long term solution is to get the dependencies right and stick to this spec template."
Here you leave me behind! You're right about my rpm, it's 4.9.
But the libs you quoted from me above doesn't exist in openSUSE
bzip2-devel and bzip2-devel has been replaced with libbz2 and libbz2-devel in Suse.
mesa-libGLU-devel and mesa-libGL-devel has been replaced with Mesa-libGLU-devel and Mesa-libGL-devel and as zypper comments "providing 'mesa-libGLU-devel' resp "providing 'mesa-libGL-devel'.
(I was wrong yesterday about your Suse11.4, I have got an old 11.2 running and even that used libbz2/libbz2-devel.)

Exactly what do you mean here?
Have you introduced changes in the opencpn-applications between v3.0.2 and 3.1.nnnn and that the versions above 3.0.2 require bzip2-devel, mesa-libGLU-devel and mesa-libGL-devel?
Strange because I've got working versions 3.0.2-3.1.1405 DLed from software opensuse working, it's just your 3.1.1405-je from yesterday that failed to install.

Or have you introduced changes in the "build-packages" from git between v.3.0.2 and 3.1.nnnn and that building of src-versions above 3.0.2 requires bzip2-devel, mesa-libGLU-devel and mesa-libGL-devel?
-In that case I may as well give up building OpenCPN in Suse.

Quote:
"I did some extended testing with OpenSuSE and Fedora and pushed another change to our packaging solution.
---
You can build your own with the above recipe (make package)"
Exactly what do you mean here? I pulled the current beta from git (~12:00 CET today) and found no difference from the one I downloaded yesterday (1405), that failed to build?

Or can you point the new build-package you mean out to me?

Finally, I downloaded your opencpn_3.1.1405-2_x86_64.rpm. This time it worked to install without objections (installed as opencpn_3.1.1405-1_x86_64). -As far as I tested it there were no problems in importing bsb or geo carts, no problem connecting to my Garmin GPS76 through Atens Serial to USB-Bridge centering and tracking it (but as before: no possible way to download wpts, routes or tracks from the GPS to OpenCPN).

Regards
Lars
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21   #15

Hi Lars,

I've updated required packages in Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage
I just did a test, removing all -devel packages then running zypper as described in the (updated) doc. I could compile opencpn and build the package. It's a wiki, everyone can contribute to get it right. I don't use OpenSuSE myself ; I created a virtual machine for testing a long time ago, but that's all. If there's something wrong, feel free to change it.

Lots of things changed between 3.0.2 and current beta. I don't remember where did I get the packages list from and if they were correct for 11.2. Maybe not :-( Now that I've updated my VM to 12.2, I can't test it any more. No matter, with the latest changes, it should work.

What branch of git are you using? Is it beta31_stable or master? I pushed my changes to the master branch? They will be pushed to beta31_stable for the next beta release.

If you are using master and pulled latest changes (last commit 10:19 GMT today) you should have it all. Run cmake, make then make package and it should do the job.

Now about your getting wpts from your GPS, I don't know at all. There are several topics about Garmin GPSes, you may find some help there.

Keep up efforts, you're very close ;-)

Regards,
Jean-Eudes

Tags
opencpn