Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 13:13   #916

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Help / FAQ

Catakate...
Let aside that not specifying which plugins are "problematic", you make it virtually impossible to be helped.
Did you realize that most of the newer plugins come with installers and you run them instead of copying them to the plugin folder manually as you do with the ones coming as plain DLL?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 13:36   #917

Boat: Anderson 22

Pavel,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
It was obvious the list is not needed, it had to be something as stupid as not realizing those are installer packages. I followed the instructions blindly, looked at the files quite a few times but... anyway, the icon might have the same irrelevance for less proficient users, it might be a good idea to add a note in the documentation.

Regards,
Old 12-04-2015, 13:43   #918

We have this note next to almost every single plugin on the download page having an installer, you guys don't read it anyway
Old 12-04-2015, 13:48   #919

Guilty as charged, I clicked on each and every one of them failing to observe that the link title is "Setup package". This might have something to do with the human nature? [emoji16]
Old 12-04-2015, 13:58   #920
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

No, nature is not to click on everything that comes along - that might end up in the category of "natural selection" or under some Darwinistic philosophy
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 14:07   #921

bcn those links didn't come along, I was there on purpose, with a very well defined target, to have a look at all of them. Ok, I'll blame it on Adobe with their "click here"
Old 17-04-2015, 10:36   #922

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I like Opencpn because it is so transparent, but I have not figured out this problem.
1. Compiled v4.1 and v4.1.409 and vector charts weren't working well. I found that Charts>Vector Chart Display "Display Category" was blank. I could drop down and select Mariner or Standard, but it would remain blank. I then checked for all the necessary files in Prog Files x86. Then searched opencpn.ini for "vector" "display" "mariner" etc but had no luck finding the setting. So then I renamed opencpn.ini.old and started opencpn again. This time there was a nice prompt to setup the charts directory which I did. Now "Standard" appears in the blank area.

It appears my opencpn.ini was corrupted in some location. Is there a "setting" area that I can look at in opencpn.ini.old to try and fix this problem?

The opencpn.log is 4mb because of all the charts set up, but opencpn.ini and opencpn.ini.old are below.

Any suggestions where to look would be very much appreciated. (not critical, but would like to know how to fix it.)

Otherwise I will just have to contine with the new opencpn.ini and perhaps copy some of my settings into that.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (9.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.old.doc (30.2 KB, 94 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 08:21   #923

Code:
Compiled v4.1 and v4.1.409 and vector charts weren't working well. I found that Charts>Vector Chart Display "Display Category" was blank.
Now I know why this happens. I just occurred again when I moved the Charts to an new directory to shorten the pathname etc.

The Charts - Vector Chart Display - went blank and I can't select "Standard" or "Mariner" and CM93 and Vector charts do not work well.

Does this give anyone a clue about how to fix it?

Where do I change the pathname for charts?
--Note I have deleted all the chart directories and reselected them under Chart Directories!

What am I missing?

---
Later - Shutdown O and restart was all it took ...this time to get the Vector Chart Display set as "Standard":
Old 19-04-2015, 08:13   #924

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

On a w8, touchscreen device, opengl, Options>User Interface>Enable Touchscreen selected

How do you select multiple items from a list?
Old 22-04-2015, 04:05   #925

Once again, I compiled opencpn v4.1.412, installed and the program opened automatically

Quote:
Vector charts weren't working well. I found that Charts>Vector Chart Display "Display Category" was blank.
This is a problem because to repair the opencpn.ini, requires rename to opencpn.ini.old and then open Opencpn again. Then I loose all my chart settings including the normal chart settings AND the chart downloader settings.

It is a pain to recreate them.

Does anyone know what part of opencpn.ini has been corrupted after loading a new version of Opencpn?

It appears to me that this will be a big problem for users when they install new versions they will get corrupted opencpn.ini files and this forum will be loaded with complaints.
Old 22-04-2015, 04:32   #926
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Rick,

normally you can upgrade to a new version without any harm to the settings you were using.
We have done this several times under all the architectures we have under our fingers in the last two years and had only problems in the very early stages of the S-63 PI. Versions that were not public.

If this happened with a version "hottest from GIT" then this is not representative for a normal test, no even Beta, but **** may happen.

And I know: back-ups are just for cowards

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 04:36   #927

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Once again, I compiled opencpn v4.1.412, installed and the program opened automatically

This is a problem because to repair the opencpn.ini, requires rename to opencpn.ini.old and then open Opencpn again. Then I loose all my chart settings including the normal chart settings AND the chart downloader settings.

It is a pain to recreate them.

Does anyone know what part of opencpn.ini has been corrupted after loading a new version of Opencpn?

It appears to me that this will be a big problem for users when they install new versions they will get corrupted opencpn.ini files and this forum will be loaded with complaints.
Could it be that it happens only to you?
Here I don't see such problems with 4.1.412.
Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 11:31   #928

It seems to happen to me with freshly compiled v 4.1.x under wonder windows 7 and 8 about the last four times I have compiled opencpn. Has anyone else been compiling v4.1.4xx for windows lately? Yes, I Will backup ocpn.ini next time, but my point remains, this did not happen before.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-04-2015, 11:37   #929

Rick...
There is no released 4.1 because the code is not stable, if you will panic because of every single bug that can appear in the master branch, you will probably not be doing anything else... If you want to help, "git bisect" the offending commit and report it in the tracker.

Thanks

Pavel
Old 23-04-2015, 10:05   #930

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hey chaps,

I've managed to get myself throughly confused, so I'll just straight out ask.

I have a simrad NSS8 chartplotter with navionics plat on the helm, a digital yachts AIT2000,B&G wind annometer, lowrance 3G radar and a windows 7 laptop inside on the nav table. No GoFree. All the above is NMEA2000 connected, I've managed to ditch all my old NMEA183 stuff.

What is the easiest way to hook up the laptop so I can add waypoints to chartplotter/see wind speed/see AIS traffic? (in that order of importance)

Do I need a NMEA2000 -> NMEA183 -> Serial connector? Could I use a NMEA183 output from chartplotter (I still have the cable somewhere) and put that into a serial connector to plug into laptop, and would that display AIS/Radar/Wind speed/Waypoints?