Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2015, 03:11   #1

connect simnet radar & autopilot for dummies?

Hello,

As a nerd in computers will i connect my Simrad 3G radar, NSS 7 and the Simrad autopilot on Open CPN. There is a Simnet on the boat how connect this all together.

After long searching have i not more any idea watt the most simple or best way is how to connect this to my computer! Can i connect this to my USB Hub and watt connections or converters need i for it? Wireless was nice but i guess, not so cheap and fast enough for the radar.

Properly a simple question for Somme, but not for me.

Is there not a good movie over it on YouTube?

Thx for the support in advance!
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 03:04   #2

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
Re: connect simnet radar & autopilot for dummies?

Read the manual for the Navico radar plugin.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 03:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWISPEL View Post
As a nerd in computers will i connect my Simrad 3G radar, NSS 7 and the Simrad autopilot on Open CPN. There is a Simnet on the boat how connect this all together.
It's a bit like asking "how do I build a boat", but I will try, starting with more questions;

1. Do you have the RI10 or RI11 radar interface box?

2. What type of compass do you have or plan to use for the radar overlay ?

3. Do you have more than one yellow "network" port on the NSS, or a NEP-2 ?

Basically all simnet connectors need to be connected with power and terminators. Then the yellow networks need to connect the RI10, NSS and computer. Are you comfortable cutting original cables and mounting RJ45 connectors? If not you need to buy one or two adapter cables from Navico.

BR /Marcus
Shipraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 19:24   #4

There Marcus,

Thx for your response, I tray to figure it out but it looks not so easy than I think and there are a lot off small details watt I not know.

Have not every day internet to answer, but well frequent.

There is now a NSS 7 wit 1 network port and this is connected wit the RI 10 radar box. There is no second network port on the plotter.

The compass is a Simrad RC 25

There is not a NEP-2

The boat is in Maleisie in Sebana Cove and on this way is it more simple to work with adapter cables.

THX Jacob
Old 05-08-2015, 05:07   #5

OK, here is what I would do:

Connect all units on simnet, NSS, RC and RI. You need also a simnet power feed cable and a simnet terminator + a connection block. Everything on Simnet / NMEA200 must be connected correctly. You also need a GPS.

On the Network side, I would buy a small router that can be used on 12 V, that supports DHCP reservations (static address via DHCP). I would get a router that supports USB modems so I can also get internet on the boat when available.

Buy also 2 pcs of the Navico RJ45 adapters: Navico: ETHEXTRJ45-2MTY

You also need 3 regular RJ45 network cables.

Now, connect NSS and RI to the router with the adapters + network cables. Connect your computer with normal network cable.

Assign a reserved (static) IP for the NSS's MAC adress in the router, f example 192.168.1.100.

In OCPN, make a NMEA network connection to 192.168.1.100 port 10110. You will now get all the data from the simnet bus from the NSS, and you don't need to buy a N2K adapter for your computer.

Start the radar plugin and you should get radar data (with heading) over the network connection.

NOTE: I'm not 100% sure how the radar handles the magnetic heading from the RC, if there is no source of variation on the simnet bus. Variation can be either automatic from a GPS with WMM that supports it (many do NOT), or manually input if the RC supports it.

Or, maybe the radar just relays the magnetic heading and lets the plugin sort it out (using the wmm plugin in OCPN). I use true heading so haven't tested this.

Good luck.

/M
Old 05-08-2015, 05:13   #6

Quote:
The compass is a Simrad RC 25
Wait a second, the RC25 is not Simnet, its Robnet. Do you have a Simrad autopilot with both Robnet and Simnet to convert the heading to Simnet?

/M
Old 05-08-2015, 12:36   #7

Hi Marcus,

Thx for this clear explication!

The compass will be a RC 45 and everything is connected wit Simnet. (similar than NMEA 2000). Sorry for this mis communication.

I order tomorrow the cables from Navico and buy over a few weeks in Singapore the RJ 45 cables.

Just for the Router have I a last question: I found on internet a small block to connect 3 RJ 45 connectors. This connectors don't need power, but damage probable the different electronic parts how i connect wit it. Is this correct? ( work like a hub for electronic cables)

thx a lot!
Old 06-08-2015, 03:21   #8

Quote:
Just for the Router have I a last question: I found on internet a small block to connect 3 RJ 45 connectors. This connectors don't need power, but damage probable the different electronic parts how i connect wit it. Is this correct? ( work like a hub for electronic cables)

Not sure what you mean here. You need a real router, and it is important that it supports DHCP reservation, not all do. I use a TP-link MR3220, it works well for this.

/M
Old 06-08-2015, 06:24   #9

Great,

I buy the same than you and I will place it mid September if whee are back on the boat.
Let know how it work out.

Thx for all and allways welcom.

Tags
autopilot, radar