Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 01:14   #1

Boat: Townson 34
Simnet Cables

Does anyone know where I can buy a Simnet connector and what is the connection pin outs?
The original Simrad ones seem very expensive.

Regards,

Steve.
stevedasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 02:00   #2

Re: Simnet cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasailor View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy a Simnet connector and what is the connection pin outs?
The original Simrad ones seem very expensive.

Regards,

Steve.

Well, if anyone has it it would be digikey or mouser. But I kind of doubt it, usually that stuff is proprietary, so they can you know.... charge a lot for it
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 08:56   #3

Are you looking for the plug on the end of a cable, or the socket on a device? For plugs, I've bought simnet cables, used the proprietary end on the cable, then cut the plug off the other end and wired it to a device or real N2K plug.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 12:19   #4

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Forgive my ignorance but is the "real"N2K plug available from Digikeyor such? Is there a specific part number? I looked at their site and am seriously ill-equipped for the job! I do have a couple spare simnet cables and would like to make an adapter to standard n2k. I have access to skilled techs for the dirty work! Thanks.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 14:30   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The standard connector is the canbus Micro-C connector. They are sold by Maretron, Digikey, Mouser and others and are made by Molex, Amphenol, and some other manufacturers, I think.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 15:25   #6

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Thanks Mark! I took some of your earlier advice and installed a Simrad AP. I think it is some of the best money I ever spent on the boat. I appreciate your help.
David
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 01:08   #7

Thanks for the info. What I have is a NSE8 and a depth transducer that needs connection. The depth transducer has a micro C and must connect to the simnet bus. My thinking is to make up a cable and if I can get a simnet plug, then I can make up the rest.

Steve.
Old 25-07-2012, 06:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasailor
Thanks for the info. What I have is a NSE8 and a depth transducer that needs connection. The depth transducer has a micro C and must connect to the simnet bus. My thinking is to make up a cable and if I can get a simnet plug, then I can make up the rest.

Steve.
Start with a simnet cable and cut off one end. Or cut it in half or elsewhere if you want to make two cables. Then attach. Field installable N2K plug on the cut end of the cable(s) and you nownhave one or two simnet to N2K cables. The field installable plug ends are available from Defender. Just search for Maretron and scroll through the parts. There may be alternate suppliers and manufacturers, but the Maretron/Defender route will definitely work. The plug ends are expensive - $10 or $20 each, but then you are done and can get back to boating.
Old 26-07-2012, 00:25   #9

Thanks for the replies. I just need to find a simnet connector that I con wire up to the micro c connector or even joint to a simnet cable. But local suppliers are pretty expensive so an alternative would be great.
Old 26-07-2012, 04:03   #10

I'm not aware of a source for field installable simnet plugs, so you are left with two choices.

1) buy a simnet to N2K cable for about $40

2) buy a simnet to simnet cable for about $30 and swap out one end as previously described.

Tags
cables