Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 05:04   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Wireless Data from Boat Network?

I have been using an RS422 to USB converter to take boat network data off my 0183 talker port on my plotter, into my laptop to use with OpenCPN.

But the plotter doesn't bridge some data from N2K to 0183 -- like AIS data.

Could I simplify my wiring and just connect the computer to my GoFree wireless module, and get the data that way?

I know some other programs will do this, like the interesting Seamantec commercial instrument program.

Any tips on how to do this?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Wireless Data from Boat Network?

Has really no one ever tried this?

I don't see any technical reason why this would not work.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:20   #3

In the absence of input from those more clever than I....

A couple of points around the topic that you might need to consider:
1. are you sure all the data is made available via you wifi access point?
2. does your laptop nav software permit data in via wifi TCP/IC or does it require a COM port connection (given you are currently using this for the USB connection.
3. might you not be "better off" (yet $350 odd poorer) by using a multiplexer. I just installed an iMux-ST (Brookhouse) which works flawlessly (connecting SeaTalk, AP, GPS, AIS, DSC VHF and Radar using iNavX on the iPad with wifi. I have had to install a VSPE (virtual serial port emulator) to convert the wifi TCP/IC to virtual COM5 for my Fugawai Nav software on the Laptop given Fugawai only inputs via serial COM. Otherwise you can use the RS232 interface from the iMux to hard wire via RS232/USB converter.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:52   #4

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Any tips on how to do this?
Apologies if I've misunderstood but...yes. You had a thread a while back on connecting iNavX to gofree. Just use the same parameters you use for iNavX.

gofree advertises its port and IP address using their own JSON-based service advertisement facility and (I believe) bonjour (apple's service discovery protocol) too but very few developers not partnering with Navico to write their apps make use of it. All that means is that you have to input the tcp port and IP address of the server manually (and it is TCP...).
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Apologies if I've misunderstood but...yes. You had a thread a while back on connecting iNavX to gofree. Just use the same parameters you use for iNavX.

gofree advertises its port and IP address using their own JSON-based service advertisement facility and (I believe) bonjour (apple's service discovery protocol) too but very few developers not partnering with Navico to write their apps make use of it. All that means is that you have to input the tcp port and IP address of the server manually (and it is TCP...).
Thanks -- I'll try that.

INavX was a snap and works fabulously. In fact that was what made me think to try to connect O that way.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
INavX was a snap and works fabulously. In fact that was what made me think to try to connect O that way.
Just make an NMEA TCP connection from OCPN to the IP address of the chart plotter , port 10110.

If You want to have a fixed address on the CP, add a small router with DHCP address reservations in the network.

/M
Shipraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:02   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipraiser View Post
Just make an NMEA TCP connection from OCPN to the IP address of the chart plotter , port 10110.

If You want to have a fixed address on the CP, add a small router with DHCP address reservations in the network.

/M
Thanks!