Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:53   #751

Boat: Amel Sharki
sindbad7,

these charts are obviously made in Macromedia Flash and I do not know a tool to download them for your computer. You may use a screenshot tool only to keep them for you. My screenshot tool saves them in tiff format and you may convert it to kap when you know the coordinates of the chart. See example below from visitmyharbour.com:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dover.png
Views:	303
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	19723
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:02   #752

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Thank you CharCode..

Yes I am aware of that,just very tedious having to collect a large number of tiles for later assembly. However,you pays your money,(or not) as the case may be. he he

I was hoping there was a smart way to alter a 'pannable' display to one using scrollbars, where I could use my bi-directional Snagit9 screen capture.

Thanks 'depons' for the Firefox tip. Works great on some pages.

Regds
Old 01-10-2010, 16:33   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
dpons..
Using my Firefox on this page does not have a 'View Page' option,nor 'Media'.
A screendump of a typical page shows the following: (if it's any help?)
You are a victim of nasty proprietary crap: that page is a flash application. I know that there are tools to snatch flash media, but I've never used one, so that's the end of my wits. The only thing you can do is pan around, take screen dumps, and then labor to paste them together.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 16:54   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Thank you CharCode..

Yes I am aware of that,just very tedious having to collect a large number of tiles for later assembly. However,you pays your money,(or not) as the case may be. he he

I was hoping there was a smart way to alter a 'pannable' display to one using scrollbars, where I could use my bi-directional Snagit9 screen capture.

Thanks 'depons' for the Firefox tip. Works great on some pages.

Regds
You can amend the source page on some of these flash tiled map components to increase the dimensions the flash component is rendered to. That can give you a bigger area to screengrab, but you are still going to be screen grabbing and then joining images (to get a good sized chart downloaded at native resolution).

Regards,

Mike
bluearcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:30   #755

hi,

I am new here. I am using OpenCPN and cm93/2 maps I downloaded fron the Russsian site.

All is OK but there are no place names on the charts. Rightclicking on a proper area does come up with the area place names so the data must be there. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

regards
xuraax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:52   #756

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuraax View Post
hi,

I am new here. I am using OpenCPN and cm93/2 maps I downloaded fron the Russsian site.

All is OK but there are no place names on the charts. Rightclicking on a proper area does come up with the area place names so the data must be there. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

regards
Please read the first paragraph on this page: Vector Chart Display | Official OpenCPN Homepage, and why not look through the rest of the documentation wiki!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04   #757

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
xuraax

Make sure the 'A+' icon at the top is engaged.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30   #758
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I still use paper charts and paper cruising guides. I have sailing charts, harbor charts and coastal charts stacked up in my pilot berth.

I use the sailing charts to plot my route so I can get the big picture. I transcribe the waypoints to my navcomp and zoom in, looking for any details I might have missed on the sailing charts.

I do the same with harbor charts. I like the double check and the fact that when the navcomp breaks, pencil and paper seem to do just fine.

To me, the biggest problem is the cost and reduced availability of paper charts. Once upon a time, electronic charts were obscenely expensive and paper charts cheap. Today, as chart plotter manufacturers scramble for market share, the prices of electronic charts have dropped significantly. With the NGA/DOD declining to make their charts available to non-military mariners, the cost of paper has risen and the choices reduced. But that doesn't negate the reason to carry both paper and electronic charts.
Old 02-10-2010, 17:16   #759
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
With the NGA/DOD declining to make their charts available to non-military mariners, the cost of paper has risen and the choices reduced. But that doesn't negate the reason to carry both paper and electronic charts.
Ultimately it will unfortunately

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:22   #760

all it takes is one wave to crash down the companion way, or blow out a window of the bridge, or a blown battery block mid-passage, and all our fancy electronic gimzos and modern crutches are toast. (except for the backup handheld waterproof vhf and gps in a ziplock bag in the back of the drawer of the chart table of course, but when's the last time the batteries were changed?)

In a newly commissioned navy boat down here they were bragging about how it didn't even have a chart table on the [rather spacious] bridge. Complete insanity if you ask me, if for no other reason than for planning your next move there's nothing better than a full-sized paper chart to pour over versus the tiny this-instant portal of a 15" laptop display.

aka paper fails safe (albeit soggy), while electronics fail dangerously. And things with dongles fail dangerously^2, as the software's natural state, by design, is to not function.

2c,
Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:37   #761

oh yeah, while I'm here. For anyone interested in converting already georegistered raster naut. charts* in one of the many formats known to GDAL: GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library, or just helping to understand

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser...t.kap_template
[*] (or any other GIS data for that matter, I'm using it with shaded relief of highres multibeam bathy and sidescan sonar on our research boat to look see where we are in relation to physical habitats)
Old 02-10-2010, 18:43   #762

argh pressed the wrong button...

...or just helping to understand what the BSB headers look like, as far as I've been able to reverse engineer from the NOAA charts**, here's my little GIS -> KAP template tool for GRASS GIS. It just spits out a GeoTiff and a text file with the metadata in it, it is up to you to do the final tiff2bsb step yourself.

Provided for educational purposes and in the hope that it is useful, *Do Not Use As a Primary Means of Navigation*, expect it to be buggy, etc.

[**] any help welcome, see also the ticket in the GDAL bug tracker system.
Old 03-10-2010, 00:02   #763

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
Both the stable version (2.1) and the devellopment version (2.2) have a button shown as a large A that switches on/off all the text data. The text data also depends on the scale you are using so you may have to zoom in/out.

good luck

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:19   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermoree View Post
Both the stable version (2.1) and the devellopment version (2.2) have a button shown as a large A that switches on/off all the text data. The text data also depends on the scale you are using so you may have to zoom in/out.

good luck

Peter
Ooooppps!!!!

Yet again I miss the obvious.

thanks to one and all for pointing me in the right direction.

regards
xuraax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17   #765
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
oh yeah, while I'm here. For anyone interested in converting already georegistered raster naut. charts* in one of the many formats known to GDAL: GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library, or just helping to understand

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser...t.kap_template[*] (or any other GIS data for that matter, I'm using it with shaded relief of highres multibeam bathy and sidescan sonar on our research boat to look see where we are in relation to physical habitats)
... and an easy way to use GDAL is with FWTools:
FWTools: Open Source GIS/RS Binary Kit

I convert BSB (.kap) files to .ecw using the NOAA Nautical Chart projector to make a .tif file, then FWTools to convert to .ecw. I use the .ecw files on TomTom systems running ttMaps (not for navigation, but because it's nice ;-)

Chart Projector:
http://www.csc.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/chartreprojector/

ttMaps:
ttMaps
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, kml, raster2bsb, tiff2bsb, bsb