Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 18:10   #361

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

I once sold my farm that I had before being married she said it was to far to town. It was 15 minutes from a mall. So I sold it to please her. she still left me, still got divorced and still bankrupted. I'll never change something to please someone else.
Old 24-03-2015, 18:56   #362
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dayummm. usually this happens somewhere between ensenada and cabo. is major reason why so many boats for sale for so long in mexico.
you are still prepping.
so.....
good luck with that "my dream" stuff.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:53   #363

Boat: Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPilot View Post
Good wives are hard to find. I would sell my boat in a second in order to keep my wonderful wife. Keep your wife and sell the boat. Take a step or two back and return to a smaller boat. Find contentment and be happy with what you have.

Who says OP's wife is good? If she was that great wouldn't she be working towards a concession or working plan instead of axing the dream? If my wife came to me and said, "I think we should climb Everest", I would decline then do everything I could to help her prep and complete that dream. No matter the cost or time apart.

Ultimatum = see ya!
timor-bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:16   #364

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I haven't read through the entire thread, but if you haven't you should post a picture of her and let us help you decide.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 09:24   #365
CLOD

Boat: none

I think you people are talking to yourselves
Old 25-03-2015, 21:42   #366

Boat: Various

I don't know who is talking to whom or to themselves. Just when discussions like this come up, I realize even more not just how lucky my wife and I are but that we seem to be the exception. Seems like on top of divorce, there sure are a lot of either bad or not so good marriages. I don't know the cause of all of it, but I do think I know one very significant cause. That is the lack of time, especially quality family time. People talk about long distant relationships being difficult but so are absentee or largely absentee relationships and even those where you have time together but you're so exhausted from other responsibilities that you can't really enjoy and experience it together. My wife and I would do anything for each other and nothing else in the world comes close in our priorities.

I guess all I'd say to those speaking harshly and negatively toward their relationships is that if you do love each other try to find a way to remove the barriers to your joint happiness, whether it's job or boat or other interests or whatever. For those not in good relationships I wish some of you luck in removing yourself from a bad one or finding a good one. But to some of you so sour on relationships, then I hope you retain the wisdom to continue to realize it's not for you and enjoy single life. There's nothing wrong with that choice. While I can't or don't want to imagine life without my marriage, I've had good friends who were great people and lousy marital candidates. A couple of them took several marriages to figure it out. One took three marriages to the same woman. One great friend fell in love again after three marriages but fortunately the lady of his affections knew him well and when he proposed she said "H.ll no. I may date you forever, spends nights off and on with you, go places with you, but you're lousy in marriages so I'm not letting you make that mistake again. He told me and I said, "I'm glad one of you has good sense and it's sure not you."

And we do understand. Both sets of our parents had lousy marriages.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising