Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 06:19   #1

Need help....sort of now...

Hi,

I am a canadian citizen stucked at Port-Saint-Louis du Rhône, France, close to Marseille, in my just refurbished Alubat OVNI 33 . I bought it here a month ago. I have been working on it for a month with my former skipper and friend, along with his wife. We were supposed to sail it back home to Canada, but they chocked on me, on May the 11 th. Apparently, not enough time for tourism visiting the Baleares and Canaries Islands along de way... I do not have the expertise needed to cross the Atlantic single handed as of now, and besides, the insurances would not let me do so especially so late in the season.

Consequently, I need a cargo transport from around Marseille France, to Montreal (ultimately Chicoutimi) Quebec for a 35 foot 5 to 6 tons aluminum sailboat. Would like to set it up here, and when all set up, then leave back to Canada, in order to prepare for the boat arrival.

Would appreciate transporter suggestions along with phone numbers if possible. Wi-fi is poor around here. Thanks a lot for your help.

Doupirate
Doupirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 06:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Need help....sort of now...

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Doupirate.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 06:39   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You might find it cheaper and certainly more educational to hire an experienced delivery skipper and a crew person. An OVNI 35 is certainly capable of making the trip.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 10:40   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Doupirate,

There is a delivery skipper who frequents this forum. He is called Boatman 61. You could send him a Personal Message, if you were interested in investigating that option.

Ann
Old 13-05-2013, 11:29   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Doupirate,

There is a delivery skipper who frequents this forum. He is called Boatman 61. You could send him a Personal Message, if you were interested in investigating that option.

Ann
+1 on Phil (Boatman61) - worth at least a chat (PM/E-mail)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 11:44   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Or Atoll, if he isn't too busy on his new to him boat

It will be Dutch transports otherwise. Spliethof is one, DockWise another. Boats under 45' LOA can often go on a container ship, in a cradle.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 11:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need help....sort of now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doupirate View Post
Hi,

I am a canadian citizen stucked at Port-Saint-Louis du Rhône, France, close to Marseille, in my just refurbished Alubat OVNI 33 . I bought it here a month ago. I have been working on it for a month with my former skipper and friend, along with his wife. We were supposed to sail it back home to Canada, but they chocked on me, on May the 11 th. Apparently, not enough time for tourism visiting the Baleares and Canaries Islands along de way... I do not have the expertise needed to cross the Atlantic single handed as of now, and besides, the insurances would not let me do so especially so late in the season.

Consequently, I need a cargo transport from around Marseille France, to Montreal (ultimately Chicoutimi) Quebec for a 35 foot 5 to 6 tons aluminum sailboat. Would like to set it up here, and when all set up, then leave back to Canada, in order to prepare for the boat arrival.

Would appreciate transporter suggestions along with phone numbers if possible. Wi-fi is poor around here. Thanks a lot for your help.

Doupirate
If you can't find anything check out the link to my page below...
if you like what you see drop me an e-mail or.. if as you say the WiFi is dodgy call me on +351916482748.
Don't leave it to late.. early June latest... Skipper + 2 crew... for insurance check out Pantaeneus..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 00:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
You might find it cheaper and certainly more educational to hire an experienced delivery skipper and a crew person. An OVNI 35 is certainly capable of making the trip.
That is exactly what I was sold by my former old friend from 30 years back. He had gone around the world for 7 years with an aluminum ketch.

Now the window is closed for this year. We would have to be to Bermudas July the first and have the insurances specific contract modified prior to leaving. Impossible for this year.

I am sure this skipper you are talking about would be just fine for next season, but for now, I am looking for a cargo. Anybody knows about a broker?
Old 14-05-2013, 03:45   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:

That is exactly what I was sold by my former old friend from 30 years back. He had gone around the world for 7 years with an aluminum ketch.

Now the window is closed for this year. We would have to be to Bermudas July the first and have the insurances specific contract modified prior to leaving. Impossible for this year.

I am sure this skipper you are talking about would be just fine for next season, but for now, I am looking for a cargo. Anybody knows about a broker?
See my post above, those two are the main game. Or any freighter. Just Just Google the names and get the contact info.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 04:01   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Ahh well... out of interest.. what route were you planning...

Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 14-05-2013, 04:54   #11
cruiser

Instead of being in a hurry to get over to Bermuda and on to Canada, why not enjoy this summer cruising western France, Spain and the Canary Islands. Then take your time hiring a delivery crew and make the crossing in October.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 08:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Or Atoll, if he isn't too busy on his new to him boat

It will be Dutch transports otherwise. Spliethof is one, DockWise another. Boats under 45' LOA can often go on a container ship, in a cradle.
Good, thank's a lot!
Old 14-05-2013, 08:53   #13

Yes Kenoma. This is a distinct possibility. Once at the Canaries Islands, I could take the boat out for the winter and come back in May 2014. I would then feel safe enough to cross solo to Bermudas.

As far as October is concerned, it would not be possible. October and November are deadly in the cold waters. Storms and even snow storms are very common after September.

But for now, I am looking for the easy cargo transport out of Marseille. If that proves not possible, as if I have to cross the Gibraltar Strait to rendez-vous with a cargo transporter, I would then consider seriously heading South to the Canaries Islands past Tareefa.

Thanks for your good suggestions.
Old 14-05-2013, 09:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahh well... out of interest.. what route were you planning...
Just asked coz if you went via the Azores and used the lows passing to the N you could slingshot your way along and be off Maine by July the 1st... but it seems you want a 'cruise'...
Good luck and Enjoy..

Old 14-05-2013, 09:26   #15

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Here's another vote for crossing next year and sailing it as much as possible in Europe in the meantime! (even though you were really just looking for freight options)

Life is short, and the boat is there. There must be circumstances pressing you to want to get it home expediently, but if they are not rigid, and the boat was just refit, why not aim to get home in summer of 2014?

That would allow you a summer in FR, the Balearics, etc then on to Canaries for winter cruising/storage, then cross to Carribean in spring with boatman et al. Then you can sail the US east coast up to Canada over the spring/summer. If you are coastal hopping over the summer you should be able to avoid/prepare for storms if you're careful, and all you have to do is get to the Chesapeake to miss the hurricanes. Um, I mean Maine.

Best of luck, and get it while the gettin's good-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote