Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2013, 06:19   #1
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
KA LUNK

ok so i went into marina here in barra de navidad in june, towed in, ignominiously, by panga due to runaway diesel experience... fun.... we even grounded softly on way into marina and lost steering..lol cable jumped off quadrant -- is fixed .
we have been fixing everything except engine over the past 5 months, and now we get around to the problem we dont wanna deal with. i even has some , err, one set ratlines on main mast shrouding. found wood for belaying pin rails fro december for my christmas present to boat.

we looked all over block for numbers. finding none of the indented variety, we decided ours is a bastid perkins sin numeros and therefore deserves different colors.

ok and parts will look even different after our artist is done with certain lil bits she is painting with pretties and intricate lil stufffies which will not be known even by me until it is done.

so.
so far engine went back together nicely...had to fab some bushings for fuel line...went to injector place for diesel bits//funny how they were closed, so we went to a transmission shop and had some made... price was excellent..nada/ gratis.. wow. i love mexico. try that in usa!!!
so my boat is one with spare bushings for injetionsystem. lol
then we go to start the beastie.

KALUNK

ok. corrosion on terminals. fixed.now i has better battery power.
next day we do some more lil stuffies to engine beast....

KALUNK

now i am asked if i have a pry bar. (some of you know what is next..lol)

no pry bar in marina. ok. so all boats here are megas and some very few cruisers who left for summer...

OK GUYS, WHY DONT YE CARRY A PRY BAR IN YOUR CRUISING BOATS!!???

SOO..... spozedly today we lube beejeeziz out of the interior of engine and wait.
prybar is being built. is raining like crazy today as we are under a pretend tropical storm wannabe(is too late in season for a real one) so work may have to wait to tomorrow yet again....(see how it coulda seized up , as we had to wait a lot this past season. we had letters A-S form over us in some fashion, as we are southwest coast of mexico, 20 miles north of manzanillo)

yeah . the engine seized up while we waited after runaway so we get to unklunk it and make it new inside. ok
is only money...

meanwhile, i could be stuck in a worse place.

but i WANT noise and smoke and drippyness and leakiness and smoke......and....NOISE.
i WANT noise!!!!!! i WANT stinky......ggrrr

is gorgeous here. is actually a good place to stash a boat for summer, as long as rates are low in summer...for me the rate differential summer at 4400 pesos to winter at 14000 pesos.... peso is being charged here in marina at 12.15 to one usdollar.
rate is 13.0 at present.
good thing it is gorgeous here.
and parts are findable.
aarrgghh..my feet itch bad......

ok so now i cannot brag on how my sailing weather is soooo awesome...... aargghhh
but i will sail opb while mine is repairing.....so i still could have pix if i can find wifi like today..lol..on my boat.

here is how it looked after a nice named storm not too long ago...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 06:50   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: KA LUNK

Zee,

which cylinder(s) is/are frozen up? Have you tried getting penetrating oil into them? Before you try the big pry bar, I mean? Possibly a PM to Sailor Chick, who knows more about the inside of diesel engines than I do might save you some $$. Somehow it had escaped me that your engine has been in the seized up orientation for months. It may mean that more breakage will ensue before you can get it torn down. In any event, I am sure you can do this with some guidance, and your foreign friends, plus a few longer levers (Ann's solution to not having a lot of upper body strength). Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 16-11-2013, 07:37   #3

ann... i have beni on fb, and i as a canuckistanian enginemonsterleprechaun in my bilges.
we using oil first yes then, as we are still fabbing a pry bar, we will use it later.
i have one quart of red miracle oil.
now i need a quart of patience.
among other things...lol

thanyou!!
Old 16-11-2013, 07:40   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Remove injectors and crank over. Don't use pry bar until you know for sure there is no water/fuel/oil in the combustion chamber.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 07:46   #5

injectors are being removed and being placed into cleaning situation by repair guy.

not going to do anything rash until we know all is copacetic and cylinders are lubed correctly enough to prevent scoring and not too much to create any repeat of runaway situation.
more dismanlte-ment in progress.....

also building a huge wrench to fit forward engine bolt so we can manually turn engine over so we dont have foul surprises.

we found corrosion in 2 cylinders and dirty injectors, so we dealing with that.
Old 16-11-2013, 08:31   #6

Zee, try a mixture of 50% acetone, and 50% ATF,(automatic trans fluid). It works better than motor oil and is much cheaper than the common penetrating fluids. Another option is if you can borrow or rent a small steam cleaner, disconnect the fresh water plumbing of the engine and blast steam through the whole engine long enough to get it as hot as possible,then let cool back to room temp, repeat,repeat,repeat. The expansion and contraction of the different metals sometimes breaks loose the rust. Good Luck_________Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 08:38   #7

thankyou gj.....
i am not certain as to where here we could find a steam cleaner, but they gotta be somewhere here....
i hope we didnt crack block...head gasket is acceptable...lol..we will see what the gods of perkins bastid engines has in store for us, err, me.....
Old 16-11-2013, 15:55   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Zee - good luck with making noise. As others have said, I wouldn't try to turn the engine over unless the injectors are removed.
I love the paint job.
Old 16-11-2013, 16:45   #9

wait until you see the intricacies we are placing..in the hands of an artist and i havent a clue what she will feel like placing on my aged hippie engine....

the injectors are in cleaning now, and off engine.

repair leprechaun is thinking hard and remembering how to fix a 4 - 108...he has done many so i dont worry much..is just what does my engine wanna do to him...and me.
parts fro these are fairly easily found here, and all it takes is a lil money and a lot of walking.....and bus riding and taxis and...
Old 17-11-2013, 20:01   #10

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Zee I worked on a Mack engine that ran away, it bent pushrods & valves hit pistons & broke the stems & the broken pieces destroyed pistons seizing some in the liners. Have you had the head off or even just the rocker cover to check the valve train for damage? I hope your is not that seriously tweaked but thought I would share what little experience I have with run away diesel engines. Good luck
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 20:21   #11

Perkins 4-108M one of the best engines ever built for a boat. I love the paint job.

See that big nut on the front of the engine, get a big socket and a breaker bar and use it to turn the engine.... However if it was running before it over reved, then I would take it apart before trying to turn it!!!!! Really taking it apart is not that hard, and there are repair parts available! Don't wreck anything else by trying to force it around.

They are easy to take apart.

Let me know if you don't have the complete workshop manual for it. There is probably a way we can get it to you.

Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 20:30   #12

akiguy...i have a shop manual a friend with a bene from 1980s gave me. my engine has no indented engine numbers, only forge drop numbers.
i have been finding parts in mexico here by taking old ones in for new ones. so far, so good. we will be removing head and having it examined when i have my next paycheck, in about a month.
Old 17-11-2013, 20:47   #13

That paint job is awesome.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 20:55   #14

I sometimes wonder if all motors should be painted in a rainbow mix of colors. Think how easy it is that coolant cap, even if it got set down out of place. It just sets the parts off. Of course, you might not want to stare at it too long while its vibrating under way or you might have a seizure.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:12   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Zee, does the engine turn at all. That is a partial rotation and stop. Or does it not move at all. The second is actually better as that's most likely stuck rings. remove injectors and pour some ATF in about 1/4 cup ish in each cylinder. Let set for a day or two.

Then use the breaker bar to gently apply a little pressure back and forth. with a little luck the rings would just be stuck to the walls a bit.

If it's the first case where the engine rotates and then stops, then at the very least the head has to come off. On that don't use oil or try a breaker bar, just go ahead and pull the head. Most likely cause then would be a bent valve. Not that big a deal at all. Provided pistons are good still.

Love the engine colors. I can see that my purple and pink engine is just a little boring now...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote