Re: How to Make a Whale Happy

That was very inspiring. Thanks.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:25   #17

Boat: too many
Re: How to make a whale happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
...Whales, porpoises, bears, dogs, rats and birds can exhibit behaviour that isn't included in my simple caution...
a good Doctor Doolittle uses body language as much or more than noises. It'd be good to know what this is for whales...If it motivates help to think that the critter is grateful, that's nice. But consider that that tangled whale is tangled in crab pots and has likely been shot at by the fishermen. It might have just been confusion at such a weird sum experience...."first the watermonkeys kill me, then they want their ropes and buoys back...I'm so damn glad to be free-but I'll take evasive action now by leaping and threatening! " is as likely.

I've several reliable reports of saved hummingbirds returning a year later, land and just sitting beside their rescuer as though.... but I'm as happy to believe it was just the treats they knew you might produce as to believe they are "grateful".

What do I look like to them? is the real question. And if you knew why you are thinking what you are thinking, you would not be suprised by what your cat is "thinking".

Don't let them peck or scratch your eyes when you are trying to help. Put gloves on,glasses, and get a big towel over them as soon as possible- don't just rush in.
Couldn't agree more. Last July a baby deer was born on my fenced property (2.5 acres), and she and her mother have not left. Might have something to do with my dog passing 2 years ago (Great Dane) and I have a large, insulated dog house, and since the arrival of the little one, I keep a 50 gallon bucket filled with water. On cold or stormy nights they use the dog house, I live on a ridge line and they don't have to make the dangerous trip across the highway and down to the creek. Each time we meet in the yard I speak in the same, soothing monotone and I won't advance towards them. There have been times I open the door and catch them close and by surprise, they act if they are going to bolt, see that it is me, and I start talking to them. Even though my walkway up to the detached garage takes me within 15' of them, as long as I keep talking to them and stay on my path, they calmly go back to munching my weed grass. I think this arrangement works out rather good, I give them fresh water and a warm place to bed down, they in turn keep my weeds down. Works for me.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:27   #18

Boat: 29'

DO,
THAT's
interesting...deer camping in a shed! Isn't that pretty unusual? I've never heard of it, but I don't know much about deer, though I see lots here.My garden is fenced and they are welcome to anything else.
The best thing we can do for the whales and all is to take care of the sea and the country they live in.Enhance it, if we must, by removing the hazards and at the least leaving some wild corridors and sloughs around fields and seaways. They seem pretty good at adapting to anything offered to their advantage.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:48   #19

Quote:
DO,
THAT's
interesting...deer camping in a shed! Isn't that pretty unusual? I've never heard of it, but I don't know much about deer, though I see lots here.My garden is fenced and they are welcome to anything else.
The best thing we can do for the whales and all is to take care of the sea and the country they live in.Enhance it, if we must, by removing the hazards and at the least leaving some wild corridors and sloughs around fields and seaways. They seem pretty good at adapting to anything offered to their advantage.
It is a 6X10 dog house and on some mornings I've noticed mom and baby had a few house guests. The whales do have a problem with that netting. Good natural feeding spots in the Sea of Cortez are of course good fishing spots for the fishermen.
Old 27-01-2012, 16:57   #20

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
It is a 6X10 dog house and on some mornings I've noticed mom and baby had a few house guests. The whales do have a problem with that netting. Good natural feeding spots in the Sea of Cortez are of course good fishing spots for the fishermen.
thread-wander, but Houseguests? Cmon, that's too much. You've got to take a picture.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:10   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Great video!
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:10   #22

Quote:
thread-wander, but Houseguests? Cmon, that's too much. You've got to take a picture.
The houseguests bolt upon seeing me, never would be able to get their picture.
Old 21-03-2013, 05:24   #23

Quote:
If your Japanese, probably not much.
Some Japanese, particularly among the younger generation, oppose the murder of whales. Attitudes in Japan are slowly changing. Whaling will be stopped forever. It is only a question of when.
Old 21-03-2013, 05:43   #24

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I always wonder what they think of *us*...
Probably wonder how We would taste with white rice and Sake.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:12   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have had a similar experience in Baja doing nature cruises and tours, but with a large Manta caught in those dam nets….Took hours to free it from the boat.

Would not recommend swimming with a tangled large netted animal as it could so easily go very wrong.

Also safer to work from the more buoyant bow to cut away the loose netting and minimize any chance of getting swamped.

Cutting away smaller chunks completely clear of crew is safer than trying to get it all in one go.

Best system is to get a slip line as close to the tangled bights as possible to take all strain away from the pieces of net you are cutting away. ….Being ready to pay it out if the animal spooks from bumping the boat.

Appreciate the desire of the society to give whales anthropomorphic qualities at is new found freedom, but the young humpback was just exhibiting hunting and feeding behavior after being set free.

At that age, they constantly need to feed, so was probably very hungry.
Great Video Del, brought back fond memories
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:45   #26

Since this thread is over a year old, I now have 3 generations of deer on my property. My presence doesn't bother them and they ignore me as I go about the yard as long as I don't approach them at a straight line. They have even calmly watched me top off their water trough, then as I retreat they advance for a drink.
Old 21-03-2013, 10:48   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Since this thread is over a year old, I now have 3 generations of deer on my property. My presence doesn't bother them and they ignore me as I go about the yard as long as I don't approach them at a straight line. They have even calmly watched me top off their water trough, then as I retreat they advance for a drink.
So, what do you put in the trough, a lager?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, what do you put in the trough, a lager?
Jello shooters, got to keep them happy. lol
Old 21-03-2013, 11:29   #29

How to Make a Dolphin Happy

ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 11:35   #30

How to Make a Manta Ray Happy

This Magic Moment,By Jennifer Anderson
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote