Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2013, 18:05   #1
F51

Wireless PC video?

I run my navigation software on a laptop at the nav station. I would like to have a small sunlight readable monitor at the helm to repeat the video from the nav station PC. That's a long and complicated cable run and would not be easily accomplished, especially with the 15-pin VGA connector on the end. Sooo, I was wondering if anybody knows about/has experience/with a wireless solution. All input appreciated.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 18:18   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Wireless PC video?

Put in a wireless network then use Teamviewer to connect a tablet (Ipad) through the Teamviewer software. I have an older chart plotter at the helm and run Raytech software at my nav station. My Raytech will see AIS which will not display on my helm chart plotter. Teamviewer allows me to see the screen of the PC on my Ipad and I can control the PC with the Ipad. Teamviewer is free, you just need a wireless network to connect np both devices.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 18:25   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Splashtop2 is the best app for this; it costs $7 or so.

So yes, just an app for iPad using a wifi router.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 18:32   #4

Boat: S2 8.0, Formula 21

IOGEAR's Wireless USB to VGA kit extends your monitor sans wires

This is just one of the cheap solutions you can use. Does your pc only have vga out or does it have a svideo or hdmi?
Also do you have any preference on the receiving monitor yet or know input options for it
Travisjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 20:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

But the OP specified daylight viewable and I don't think the iPad qualifies. I'm doing the same thing and also trying to figure out the routing for a VGA cable. The fat connector on the end is a pain. I have thought about cutting the cable and splicing it back together but not sure if that would attenuate the signal too much.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 20:15   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
But the OP specified daylight viewable and I don't think the iPad qualifies. I'm doing the same thing and also trying to figure out the routing for a VGA cable. The fat connector on the end is a pain. I have thought about cutting the cable and splicing it back together but not sure if that would attenuate the signal too much.
The iPad is 100% daylight viewable. I use it during the day all the time.

EDIT: Oh.. sunlight viewable... well, that is up for debate. Still, give it a try at maximum brightness, although a bimini or something would work much better.
Old 31-03-2013, 02:18   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

skip, the vga signal is fairly robust. Yes, you can cut and splice if you do it neatly. But vga usually is a db15 plug (3 row "high density" not 2 row plain db15) and you can also buy those and solder the wire directly to the plug, so there's no need for splicing. Lots of water-resistant splicing, ugly bulk...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 09:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The iPad is 100% daylight viewable. I use it during the day all the time.

EDIT: Oh.. sunlight viewable... well, that is up for debate. Still, give it a try at maximum brightness, although a bimini or something would work much better.
I guess sunlight would be a more accurate statement. Even outside in daylight but in the shade I have to hold my iPad at just the right angle to avoid glare.

I have a 13" Panasonic Toughbook screen that is easily viewable in direct sunlight. That's the plan for my cockpit display.
Old 31-03-2013, 09:55   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
skip, the vga signal is fairly robust. Yes, you can cut and splice if you do it neatly. But vga usually is a db15 plug (3 row "high density" not 2 row plain db15) and you can also buy those and solder the wire directly to the plug, so there's no need for splicing. Lots of water-resistant splicing, ugly bulk...
Thanks. I wasn't too sure since back when I was in the computer repair business (admittedly a long time ago) VGA cables weren't supposed be any longer than 5-6' because the signal wasn't strong enough to carry any further. Not sure if that was a CYA by the PC makers or the new systems are better.

But yes, it's a 15 pin connector which is another reason I'm resisting. I know by itself it's not that big a job but I have a list of several pages of small jobs already and just hate adding one more.
Old 31-03-2013, 10:19   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

B,b,b,b,but,t,t,t I,i,i,iiittttss a bbbbooaat !
You're supposed to crimp, not solder those tiny wires !!!

<sarcasm>

Steve
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 10:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
B,b,b,b,but,t,t,t I,i,i,iiittttss a bbbbooaat !
You're supposed to crimp, not solder those tiny wires !!!

<sarcasm>

Steve
Well personally I use bubble gum.
Old 31-03-2013, 12:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Thanks. I wasn't too sure since back when I was in the computer repair business (admittedly a long time ago) VGA cables weren't supposed be any longer than 5-6' because the signal wasn't strong enough to carry any further. Not sure if that was a CYA by the PC makers or the new systems are better.

But yes, it's a 15 pin connector which is another reason I'm resisting. I know by itself it's not that big a job but I have a list of several pages of small jobs already and just hate adding one more.

You can buy premade VGA extensions
. For the price, I think I'd rather buy cables than bother with the fiddly soldering.

For one particular project, (1994) we successfully extended the 15 pin video output of a Mac Quadra to 120 ft, but this required breaking out the 15 pin connectors to 5 runs of broadcast video cable.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:26   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

You can buy premade VGA extensions
. For the price, I think I'd rather buy cables than bother with the fiddly soldering.

For one particular project, (1994) we successfully extended the 15 pin video output of a Mac Quadra to 120 ft, but this required breaking out the 15 pin connectors to 5 runs of broadcast video cable.
Getting the cable was not the question. In fact, I already have the cable. I was responding to the OP where he commented about the long complicated run made more difficult by the large VGA connector on the end of the cable. I have the same issue with the long run and small holes and cracks where the VGA connector will not easily fit. That's why I was considering the option of cutting the plug off the cable I have to ease the wiring, then reconnecting the VGA plug when finished.

Now if I could find a VGA cable in two parts with a cable diameter connector in the middle to link the two parts with standard VGA on each end then that would ease my pain.
Old 31-03-2013, 19:34   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

VGA... is obsolete. Use HDMI then if you don't want wireless. A HDMI display with an AppleTV piggybacked and then AirPlay to mirror the navstation PC wirelessly?
There may already be displays with AppleTV built in?

I also have a HDMI feed that is 50 foot long or so; a guy added a small amp to regenerate signals when I complained about so-so quality.

Old 31-03-2013, 19:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
VGA... is obsolete. Use HDMI then if you don't want wireless. A HDMI display with an AppleTV piggybacked and then AirPlay to mirror the navstation PC wirelessly?
There may already be displays with AppleTV built in?

I also have a HDMI feed that is 50 foot long or so; a guy added a small amp to regenerate signals when I complained about so-so quality.
Obsolete maybe but you know what, it still works just fine. I have a great, if obsolete VGA monitor that is viewable in direct sunlight, even with the screen facing the sun, sharp, hi-rez, bright and clear. I have OpenCPN running on an obsolete Windows laptop that will drive the monitor. Whole setup cost me less than $400.

Just don't see any reason to spend a lot of money on a new technology gadget just because it's newer if the old stuff does the job.