Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 06:45   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Windows 10 and mandatory updates

I just read an article
Windows 10 updates to be automatic and mandatory for Home users | Ars Technica

that says that there will be no way to turn off updates on Windows 10. That's going to impact cruisers with limited access to the internet. Trying to download an important email? Please wait while we phone home to Microsoft first, then download 1.2GB of updates...
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:13   #2

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54
Re: Windows 10 and mandatory updates

Like Windows 8.1, the new version of Windows will support "metered connections" as described here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

But as the FAQ states, priority updates will still be downloaded even if the connection is set to metered. Fortunately these critical updates are almost always security patches and typically not too large, but still may be problematic over a sat phone.

For more control over update timing, you will need to install Windows 10 Pro instead of Home. While Pro will not allow updates to be deferred indefinitely, you can prevent them from downloading for several months while you are between high-speed internet access on a passage or in remote locations.

You get a free upgrade to Windows 10 as long as you are currently running Windows 7 or higher, with non-Pro versions upgrading to Home, and Pro versions upgrading to Pro. To upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro will cost $99.
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:20   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If 10 is anything like 8 why would someone volunteer to leave 7?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:38   #4

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

One of the guys in our office has been testing 10. He says it seems to fix most of the issues with 8 but it will be a little annoying at first because it uses a lot of the interfaces from 8. He says alot of the utilities etc in the background seem much reliable in 10 then they were in 7 or 8. We'll have to wait and see but it seems to be a typical Microsoft where every other release is the one to get in other words skip 8 and go right to 10. He ways particularly amazed at how much better certain blue tooth and USB connections work with oddball equipment that were always a problem with previous releases.
Old 17-07-2015, 08:47   #5

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

@Sailmonkey: Win 10 is not Win 8. We have been beta testing it since close to the beginning of the year and in my opinion it is basically Windows 7 on a desktop and an improved Windows 8 on touch devices with a mostly seamless transition between the two if you go from tablet mode to desktop mode.

As much as I disliked the Windows 8 interface, Microsoft did make a number of significant improvements to the OS like speeding boot-up time, improving security and taking full advantage of new technologies available like SSD drives. Windows 10 looks to be the best of both worlds and I am very pleased with it so far.

And perhaps most importantly, the chart plotting software I use (Coastal Explorer) has been running on it with no problems as well.
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

I will be buying a new laptop for my new (to me) boat and it will come with Windows 10 er 8 uh...

Pretty much no choice when going with new hardware.

I bought a new laptop when Windows 8 was brand new. OMG what a fail! Moving it backwards to Windows 7 was unsupported and HARD, and this was 3 years ago. Finding all of the Windows 7 drivers for the new hardware was tough but doable. I don't think you would have a prayer of doing that now.

So as for me, I will probably never upgrade my existing Widows 7 laptop, but I will be forced to move when I get my new laptop for the boat.

OTOH as has been mentioned, all the really NASTY stuff from Windows 8 seems to have gone away.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 18:50   #7

Quote:
Because 8.1 came on my new laptop.

Actually, I don't hate Windows 8.1. I've been using it for almost a year. Metro is pointless for me, sure, but I just click past it. For this laptop, I will most likely let it upgrade to 10, but I'm not out cruising the oceans.

If I was building a laptop optimised for cruising, it would be running Linux.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 19:02   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If I was building a laptop optimized for cruising, it would be running Linux.
Bingo! Linux is a good DIY cruising platform and there are pre-built cruising solutions around. It is more efficient than Windows and you control pretty much everything.

But....if you need Windows for your income or can't install Linux then eventually you will have to go with 10 Pro I think. M$FT will hound/nag all the 7/8.X users until they surrender and upgrade to 10. They simply can't keep ahead of all the security issues in the older systems. There's no guarantee they can keep ahead with 10 but it should be a lot harder for bad actors to hack 10.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 19:19   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I also have been testing 10 for a number of months. Just got an upgrade yesterday. I don't like the fact you don't have control over updates and I don't like the backup system. Why has MS never paid attention to proper backup? I think other things I don't like about it are really because of the little lap top I am using. I think I will hang on to my Win 7 Pro desktop for a while but may succumb to 10 in a few months.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 05:25   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

So long as 10 will allow one to do away with the stupid tiles and the "metro" theme, I suppose it might work.
I've got a netbook/tablet that runs full 8.......it sucks. Navigating the "apps" drives me bonkers! The damn thing always want to store photos somewhere else than where I want to locate them, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 05:52   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm not familiar with the newer OS's, but you guys make it sound like Windows 7 is better than the newer ones.
That, & is it me, or does MS **** up every time they come up with a new & "better" OS?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 07:49   #12

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Windows ME, Vista and 8/8.1 have been ho hum leaving only win 2000, Xp and 7 as truly successful versions. Personally I was driven to Linux by windows 8 which, while not perfect, does everything I need it to do with a whole lot less fuss .

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 08:30   #13

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Thanks all! I'm being hounded to update to 10. Using 7 still on laptop. Your conversation has really opened up my eyes. I'm not the computer lover, it's just a needed tool, and get tired of beating my head on the wall figuring out what to do. So happy I looked into this post. You're always a wealth of knowledge. For now, staying with 7. Thanks you.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 08:35   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

I was perfectly happy with Windows 97.
Old 18-07-2015, 08:56   #15

Quote:
AMEN!
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind