Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 18:27   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Re: What is a 2-pin round DC power connector useful for?

I have both two prong and cigarette lighter styled power points on my boat and find the cockpit mounted cigarette lighter useful with plug in/USB for charging IPhone, Hot Spot modem, and direct battery charging my 19.2V power drill/driver. I use one below for the laptop computer with an international power adapter that allows me to go 12V DC to 19V DC instead of 12V DC to 120V AC Inverter and then 120V AC Adapter/Converter that takes it back down to 19V DC for the laptop.

The two prong is used in our sailing area to plug in special cockpit lights and/or an anchor light that is lower for safety in addition to the mast head anchor light. It can also be used for a powerful 12V high intensity search light. I have one mounted below for a 12V vacuum cleaner that has since been replaced with AC power shop vac. You can also use them with connector for testing and trouble shooting 12V powered equipment.

I also have a three prong water proof connector on the foredeck for a remote controlled anchor switch for UP/DOWN.
Canuck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:03   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

To the people saying they prefer the 2-prong outlets, and use them for various things, how did you manage to connect those devices to the 2-prongs? Did you rewire the device to a male 2-prong plug (like the one in the Whitworth link)? Have you rewired a USB charger?

Having no serious electrical experience (yet), that sounds difficult to me. If you somehow wired a USB cord to the 2-prong plug, how do you ensure the connections are water-tight / safe? Are they exposed?

The suggestion of powered spotlights that work via 2-prong plugs, given a spotlight that was purchased a while ago (before high powered battery LED spotlights became readily available), is a good use case. But that's only one use - how do you make your outlets useful for general purposes?

I have 8 devices powered via USB, and zero powered by 2-prong plugs. So to make a 2-prong useful I would need to wire a USB to a 2-prong. I think the suggestions for cigarette outlets are because there are USB adapters for that easily available for purchase.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:14   #33

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
To the people saying they prefer the 2-prong outlets, and use them for various things, how did you manage to connect those devices to the 2-prongs? Did you rewire the device to a male 2-prong plug (like the one in the Whitworth link)? Have you rewired a USB charger?

Having no serious electrical experience (yet), that sounds difficult to me. If you somehow wired a USB cord to the 2-prong plug, how do you ensure the connections are water-tight / safe? Are they exposed?

The suggestion of powered spotlights that work via 2-prong plugs, given a spotlight that was purchased a while ago (before high powered battery LED spotlights became readily available), is a good use case. But that's only one use - how do you make your outlets useful for general purposes?

I have 8 devices powered via USB, and zero powered by 2-prong plugs. So to make a 2-prong useful I would need to wire a USB to a 2-prong. I think the suggestions for cigarette outlets are because there are USB adapters for that easily available for purchase.
What devices do you have that 'charge' via usb apart from phone, iPad, camera?

You can't just wire a USB port into a 12v system. Well, it's not wise to in any case. Usb for charging an iPhone or iPad uses only 1.5v to 5v.

Cig lighters are best kept indoors or wire a female cig lighter socket on to a male two prong that you can plug into your cockpit.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:19   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What devices do you have that 'charge' via usb apart from phone, iPad, camera?
Well, 2 phones, 2 Android tablets, a GoPro, Google Glass, a laptop, Kindle. The first 4 function as backup GPS navigation-capable devices. I wouldn't want to charge all of these off the 2-prong, but it would be useful to know that I could if I had to.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:20   #35

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
They're not suitable for USB. Better with normal cigar lighter sockets with plug in USB adaptors. The two pin units are better for semi dedicated roles e.g. GPS at helm, spotlight.

The plugs I showed have screws. It's just a matter of connecting the wires to the plug and screwing them down - same as an AC plug.

You do need basic skills obviously, but it's at the bottom of the skills level. Just don't mix your polarity up!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:27   #36

Quote:
Well, 2 phones, 2 Android tablets, a GoPro, Google Glass, a laptop, Kindle. The first 4 function as backup GPS navigation-capable devices. I wouldn't want to charge all of these off the 2-prong, but it would be useful to know that I could if I had to.
its not wise to be charging any of these in the cockpit.

But go to a ship chandlery and have a look at what is available for dedicated Usb docking. You will see that they all have a built in regulator. Or you can buy the ones that plug into a cig lighter socket. But personally I would not put one of these in a cockpit unless it's under a reasonably dry dodger.
Old 11-04-2015, 20:39   #37

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
its not wise to be charging any of these in the cockpit.
Actually it's a sign of the times that this is becoming the case. I was going to install an MFD at the helm, but it's far easier with less hole drilling to install the MFD at the nav station and use GoFree to run the output to a helm mounted tablet. For the cost of a second hand tablet and two RAM mounts, I can move a tablet all over my cockpit and only need a USB outlet located nearby to provide all wired connections to it.

I bagged these earlier, but so far this is the only exterior USB outlet solution I've found.

Even then I'd still need to disconnect power during rain or heavy spray to protect the socket unless I install it in a waterproof enclosure.

Edit: I mentioned a motorbike sourced solution in a previous post, but I have doubts on that long term in a marine environment without further testing.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Actually it's a sign of the times that this is becoming the case. I was going to install an MFD at the helm, but it's far easier with less hole drilling to install the MFD at the nav station and use GoFree to run the output to a helm mounted tablet. For the cost of a second hand tablet and two RAM mounts, I can move a tablet all over my cockpit and only need a USB outlet located nearby to provide all wired connections to it.

I bagged these earlier, but so far this is the only exterior USB outlet solution I've found.

Even then I'd still need to disconnect power during rain or heavy spray to protect the socket unless I install it in a waterproof enclosure.

Edit: I mentioned a motorbike sourced solution in a previous post, but I have doubts on that long term in a marine environment without further testing.
I have four of these inside. But I don't think usb fittings are suitable outside exposed.
Old 11-04-2015, 22:55   #39

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Good points, probably should just replace it. But I don't actually have a need for aux power in the cockpit currently, so I was mostly thinking about it as a low priority, low-effort (ie, not another project to add to the list) if I wanted to charge a tablet that I'm using for backup nav.

And I was curious what these kinds of 2-prong power outlets were ever used for. (did a cf search but didn't find much). And whether they were ever general purpose outlets or were always a very custom, device-specific power source. Sounds like it's an old obsolete standard that was never general purpose.
Charging a tablet or notebook usually requires 18-19.5 volts instead of 12, so a simple adapter plug and cord may not work adequately. You can buy a cig lighter adapter that converts the voltage, of course each PC brand and model may have different plugs. Try googling DC adapter for xyz brand computer and see if yours pops up.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:10   #40
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

"weather resistant" type press-on caps that rely on friction to keep the live connectors dry are pretty useless exposed outside. Plastic connectors of any type are bad idea outside.

And I have yet to see one single characteristic of a 1950's cigar lighter design that is an advantage in any way for any purpose being discussed here. Those are not connectors. They never were connectors. And they especially are not marine connectors.

As for putting a two pin connector on the spotlight you just bought that came with a cigarette lighter hanging on the cord, it's about as simple as it gets. It's just stripping off about 5mm of insulation and tightening a small screw against the wire.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29   #41

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
...And I have yet to see one single characteristic of a 1950's cigar lighter design that is an advantage in any way for any purpose being discussed here. Those are not connectors. They never were connectors. And they especially are not marine connectors. .
They are "connectors" and when you go to the store to buy a portable spotlight, portable fan or portable GPS cable, it will come with a matching plug. Change the sockets on your boat and you will be forced to change the plugs on all your accessories. And you won't be able to use anyone else's accessories.

Please, go back and read the posts.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:49   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Regarding USB charging. I have 2 multiport USB charging hubs which are very handy. Come by default with the inferior but common cigarette lighter connector, but easily adaptable to 2 prong. One of them has both USB connectors and two female cigarette style connectors.

With so many devices that run or charge off USB these days we use them a lot...especially with guests aboard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:34   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
"weather resistant" type press-on caps that rely on friction to keep the live connectors dry are pretty useless exposed outside. Plastic connectors of any type are bad idea outside.

And I have yet to see one single characteristic of a 1950's cigar lighter design that is an advantage in any way for any purpose being discussed here. Those are not connectors. They never were connectors. And they especially are not marine connectors.

As for putting a two pin connector on the spotlight you just bought that came with a cigarette lighter hanging on the cord, it's about as simple as it gets. It's just stripping off about 5mm of insulation and tightening a small screw against the wire.

There are several weatherproof cigar lighter sockets, marinco make so e with o ring seals and locking connectors. Etc. don't dismiss until you have reviewed what's actually available

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2015, 11:42   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the two pronged twelve volt sockets and plugs, i have found, are much more durable than are the cigarette lighter options
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:51   #45

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I think much of my frustration is with the male cigarette pug as much as it is the receptacle. Many are pretty bad.

There are good receptacles and good plugs..but it seems the vast majority aren't.

Use quality stuff either way and you will be fine...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote