Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 14:09   #151
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Want the Best, Cheapest Easiest AIS solution:-)

FMCW ( 3G , 4G broadband radar) is not new, but its new to the leisure market , its has certain advantages , in particular associated with the lack of a magnetron , its has of course certain disadvantageous , in particular associated with the lack of a magnetron

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 16:43   #152

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
FMCW ( 3G , 4G broadband radar) is not new, but its new to the leisure market , its has certain advantages , in particular associated with the lack of a magnetron , its has of course certain disadvantageous , in particular associated with the lack of a magnetron

Dave
Dave,

What are the disadvantages of not having a magnitron?

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:27   #153

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

we have a watch mate 850 with the splitter and so far so good and easy to use.
I installed it myself and my electronic talent is about as good as ... well its no good at all.
Dulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57   #154

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
Right now the XB-8000 converts heading PGN's to 0183 and yes, we are planning to add support for converting other popular PGN's in an upcoming firmware update. We're using customer feedback to guide us on the priority. Right now the consensus is for wind/depth/speed.
From the Vesper XB-8000 features page it seems that heading is still (6 months later) the only NMEA2000 PGN converted ?

Are you still planning to implement more PGN translations ?

Perhaps already done, but webpage not updated ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41   #155
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
From the Vesper XB-8000 features page it seems that heading is still (6 months later) the only NMEA2000 PGN converted ?

Are you still planning to implement more PGN translations ?

Perhaps already done, but webpage not updated ?
Yes, it's done and is in customer beta testing now. We expect to release it to all other customers in the next week or so. The website will get updated at that time and all owners can download and install it.

The update converts speed, water depth, distance log, wind and water temp PGN's to 0183 sentences that are output on all ports (eg. WiFi, USB, etc).

It also includes output of additional PGN's for increased compatibility with certain plotters (low speed GPS position, fix and satellite data). And it adds support for N2K V2.000 (still compatible with V1.301) and it gives additional control over the NMEA 0183 output port to allow for more complicated mixed configs.

The updates are for both XB-8000 and WatchMate Vision.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49   #156

WEST Marine has a great one, and quite affordable.
Take a look:
CPYB Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:52   #157

Quote:
Yes, it's done and is in customer beta testing now. We expect to release it to all other customers in the next week or so. The website will get updated at that time and all owners can download and install it.

The update converts speed, water depth, distance log, wind and water temp PGN's to 0183 sentences that are output on all ports (eg. WiFi, USB, etc).

It also includes output of additional PGN's for increased compatibility with certain plotters (low speed GPS position, fix and satellite data). And it adds support for N2K V2.000 (still compatible with V1.301) and it gives additional control over the NMEA 0183 output port to allow for more complicated mixed configs.

The updates are for both XB-8000 and WatchMate Vision.
That's great ! Still waiting to see the updates.

Some other questions for you:

1/ Why didn't you include DSC calling and Anchor watch in the Vision product ? Will it be added at some point ?

2/ Are there any plans to add a simple GPS navigator to the Vision product ?

Cheers,
JM.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:35   #158
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
That's great ! Still waiting to see the updates.

Some other questions for you:

1/ Why didn't you include DSC calling and Anchor watch in the Vision product ? Will it be added at some point ?

2/ Are there any plans to add a simple GPS navigator to the Vision product ?

Cheers,
JM.
Sorry for the delay in releasing this update. It's coming. Just tying the ribbons on :-)

Yes, Vision will get both DSC calling and Anchor Watch. But not in this update. This update is focused on enhanced NMEA 2000 translations to USB/0183/WiFi and a few other tidbits. But Vision will be getting a number of new features in the next update and it's coming along nicely. In fact, we'll be showing some of it off at METS next week.

Vision currently has a simple GPS display, but what else would you like to see in a simple GPS navigator? I'm keen to hear your ideas and thoughts. Waypoints? Cross-track error?
Old 13-11-2013, 16:10   #159
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Sorry for the delay in releasing this update. It's coming. Just tying the ribbons on :-) Yes, Vision will get both DSC calling and Anchor Watch. But not in this update. This update is focused on enhanced NMEA 2000 translations to USB/0183/WiFi and a few other tidbits. But Vision will be getting a number of new features in the next update and it's coming along nicely. In fact, we'll be showing some of it off at METS next week. Vision currently has a simple GPS display, but what else would you like to see in a simple GPS navigator? I'm keen to hear your ideas and thoughts. Waypoints? Cross-track error?
The "highway" display with data values around it. Like Furuno GPS shows for example.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 17:32   #160

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in releasing this update. It's coming. Just tying the ribbons on :-)

Yes, Vision will get both DSC calling and Anchor Watch. But not in this update. This update is focused on enhanced NMEA 2000 translations to USB/0183/WiFi and a few other tidbits. But Vision will be getting a number of new features in the next update and it's coming along nicely. In fact, we'll be showing some of it off at METS next week.

Vision currently has a simple GPS display, but what else would you like to see in a simple GPS navigator? I'm keen to hear your ideas and thoughts. Waypoints? Cross-track error?
I would like it to navigate to a waypoint and generate the appropriate NMEA 0183&2000 messages for a GPS navigator (to be used by autopilot). Also display the navigation data on the GPS screen: BTW, TTG, ...etc. Man overboard and navigate to AIS SART would be good too.

I think this would be desirable for boats that don't have a chartplotter and also for boats that like to turn off the chartplotter while offshore.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 14-11-2013, 17:01   #161
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the GPS suggestions. Please keep 'em coming if you have more...

FYI: We released the updated firmware for XB-8000 and WatchMate Vision today. Among a number of improvements it also provides more NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 translations so you can view instrument data such as heading, wind, depth, speed, log, water temp on tablets and phones via WiFi. This data is converted from the NMEA 2000 network to the appropriate 0183 sentences and sent to all connected WiFi clients as well as USB and 0183 devices.
Old 17-11-2013, 13:33   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I bought a Sitex Metadata black box transceiver. Like most of the last generation of black box AIS transceivers (the Digital Yacht AIT2000, Comnv X2), it outputs NMEA2000, NMEA0183, and USB. I don't think there is much to choose between any of these -- features, price, size, power draw, etc., are all about the same. I chose the Sitex on a gamble that the built-in GPS would receive at my nav table, leaving me one less cable to pull, one less hole to drill in my toe rail, and one less antenna to mount. It does receive well so the gamble paid off .

Note you will have to install an antenna -- the most burdensome part of the install of one of these devices.

Note also that many plotters (I think Simrad is the main culprit) require proprietary NMEA2000 sentences for AIS and so will only work with NMEA0183 with non-Navico AIS units. I don't know about Garmin.
Dockhead, Any complaints or comments since this was posted in April? Anyone else using the Si-Tex AIS Transceiver?
$549 USD seems pretty reasonable. The Vesper has wi-fi for a couple hundred dollars more, but I'm not sold I'd need that functionality.
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23   #163

Quote:
Thanks for the GPS suggestions. Please keep 'em coming if you have more..
Two more suggestions (since you asked):

1/ Implement CPA and Guard alarms in XB8000. Would need to have some sort of external alarm, so that when alarm sounds I can have a look around or fire up the computer or I-thing to see what's going on. Alarm should also sound for any errors like: high vswr.

2/ Browser based interface for setup and monitoring. Seems like you must own an Apple device to use the XB8000 ? A browser based interface would give you instant compatibility with more devices also standards based and not proprietary.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 02-12-2013, 13:45   #164
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Two more suggestions (since you asked):

1/ Implement CPA and Guard alarms in XB8000. Would need to have some sort of external alarm, so that when alarm sounds I can have a look around or fire up the computer or I-thing to see what's going on. Alarm should also sound for any errors like: high vswr.

2/ Browser based interface for setup and monitoring. Seems like you must own an Apple device to use the XB8000 ? A browser based interface would give you instant compatibility with more devices also standards based and not proprietary.

Cheers,
JM.
Thanks. Great suggestions and they are already high on our list. BTW: In the mean-time, you can also use our PC application for setup and monitoring the XB.
Old 09-12-2013, 19:44   #165

Quote:
Thanks. Great suggestions and they are already high on our list. BTW: In the mean-time, you can also use our PC application for setup and monitoring the XB.
One more product suggestion I would like to see:

Add a DSC radio with mike to the Vision Product. Would be nice to see all VHF functionality in one simple package, connected to one antenna.

Cheers,
JM.

Tags
ais