Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2013, 19:36   #31

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: VHF transmitter location

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'm innocent until proven guilty as are splitters.

Dave
It seems the evidence calls for a swift verdict.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 19:59   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hello Cruisers,

I have a Swanson 42 with the VHF radio downstairs at a navigation station, just to the starboard side as you step down into the cabin from the dodger. It has a repeater speaker up in the dodger that you can hear from the wheel.
Lots of good advice...If it were me…I would stay with the original layout

For serious VHF conversations you need to get the mike out of the wind and weather, so my VHF is placed just inside cabin steps as shown with mike option to speak either inside or out depending on wind conditions,

I keep a strong handheld by the cockpit helm mostly for conversations coming into a marina.
Icom M72 Handheld VHF Marine Radio

For the tender-shore needs, I recently bought this submersible pair so as not to jeopardize the M72
Standard Horizon Floating HX100 Handheld VHF Radios - Twin Pack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Stargazer pilothouse VHF.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	57246  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 20:01   #33

As you know, I also have a S42. Like yours,its a long way down to the nav station, especially for a single hander, so I think a VHF in the cockpit is important, but so is one at the nav station.
I initially addressed the issue with a handheld (high quality Icom) in the cockpit. Found performance unacceptable.
So I dumped the existing GME at the nav station, and installed a Icom 504 at the nav station, with remote in the cockpit. Very happy with the outcome, the flexibility, etc. There is full control of the radio at either station.
VHF is so important, I would not compromise. The cost is insignificant.
Lee
PS I have fallen down the companionway a couple of times, and have great respect for it as one of the most dangerous places on a S42. I have now fitted extra handholds.
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 20:09   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

[QUOTE=....PS I have fallen down the companionway a couple of times, and have great respect for it as one of the most dangerous places on a S42. I have now fitted extra handholds.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking of carrying a parachute near the companionway... more like base jumping than sailing in that part of the boat!
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 20:13   #35

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Err... okay, let me apologise in advance for raising such a contentious issue... wow, what a lot of knowledge out there.

For what it is worth, I think Kettlewell started me thinking in the right direction for our boat. The idea of a second radio, mounted with the arial in a different place to the first has particular merit for my situation. I stress, this is for my particular setup as I just happen to have a really tall array of aluminium and stainless steel at the stern of the boat with the radar, wind generator, dingy davits, gps receiver and a couple of items which, quite frankly, I can not work out and probably are no longer connected. But in the cluster of "stuff" are a couple of arials that are now defunct thanks to the fact that I can't drive the radios attached to them (see previous posts about which radios to keep) or the radios in question are so old as to only be able to be used to talk to cavemen or enthusiasts. (apologies to those who still use such gear, good hobby, but I can't bet my life that you will be listening when I need you.)

ANYWAY, in the interests of full redundancy, I really like the idea of putting a second VHF radio up in the dodger, with an arial on the Eiffel Tower monument at the stern so if the mast gets blown away I can still share the experience with someone over the radio. The rear tower is totally independent of the mast, so unless the mast falls backwards, it should remain upright and usefull to me.

Thank you all for your help in getting my thinking straight, and... er... good luck resolving the merits of the whole splitter thing. I am watching with interest, who'd have expected an in-depth electronics debate on a sailing forum...? Well, clearly not me, but I am learning.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 20:56   #36

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I just finished putting a radio mounted on the cockpit combing next to my engine controls. I mounted an antennae on the radar pole. I now have two separate VHF systems. Splitters are not the only concern, normal corrosion and possible damage made it seem prudent to have a separate back-up system. The cost was less than $300 (I added a PA hailer). To add a RAM would have required a new VHS at the navigation station, so it didn't seem economically worth it. I have a hand-held, but I was not comfortable with concerns about range, battery life, and clarity, so I decided to go to the new radio (West Marine 680) at the helm. Now both systems work well. This option seems to fit my needs.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf