Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 23:32   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Vesper XB-8000 and Linux

The Vesper XB-8000 comes with a windows based configuration utility and I believe something on an Iphone or other mobile device. I have no Iphone and I use a Linux based laptop with openCPN.
Question: Has anyone used the Vesper configuration utility that is meant to run under Windoze under Linux (in Wine) ???? If so, is it fully operational ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 22:10   #2
Jd1

Re: Vesper XB-8000 and Linux

Anyone ?????
Old 25-08-2013, 22:23   #3

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I'll pull up my Linux VMWare installation tomorrow and see if I can get it to install via Wine..

Could you perhaps install VMWare on your linux machine and install Windows on that?
Old 25-08-2013, 23:50   #4
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLandlocked View Post
I'll pull up my Linux VMWare installation tomorrow and see if I can get it to install via Wine..

Could you perhaps install VMWare on your linux machine and install Windows on that?
Thanks for replying!
I have never run VMWare. I will look into what is required .... but as far as I know it requires a full windows install and license and presumably requires the computing power of a windows machine. I run my ship board system on a lowly netbook which MIGHT be good for a Windows 7 setup but am not sure - it only has 4 gigs of memory and a 125 gig hard drive. If this happens to be enough computer, I am not sure I want to spend over $100 for software to just run this one utility.
Is my understanding of VM Ware correct? Would the computer be suitable for the task?
Old 26-08-2013, 00:33   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
The Vesper XB-8000 comes with a windows based configuration utility and I believe something on an Iphone or other mobile device. I have no Iphone and I use a Linux based laptop with openCPN.
Question: Has anyone used the Vesper configuration utility that is meant to run under Windoze under Linux (in Wine) ???? If so, is it fully operational ?
Ask the question on the Vesper website. Feel sure you will get the info you seek there.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 02:16   #6

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Thanks for replying!
I have never run VMWare. I will look into what is required .... but as far as I know it requires a full windows install and license and presumably requires the computing power of a windows machine.
You're right. AFAIK there's no get-out from having a windows licence to stay legal. VMplayer itself is free-as-in-beer though and there are alternatives like virtualbox. Having said that trying to do virtualization on a netbook is not fun: Not enough oomph and the atom etc. processors don't have the virtualization support to make it easier. I'd not call it viable.

Given that so many boating applications are windows only you might save yourself a lot of hassle in the long run just installing your netbook as dual-boot. If you had a Windows licence with the netbook, use that, otherwise consider investing in a basic windows licence and lose 30GB of disc to it. Navionics chart update software for example is windows-only. You'll save hassle in the long run. My current netbook (sounds like yours) is the first one I've owned in 17 years where I didn't ditch windows completely

Downunder's suggestion is sound. You might find that the software is a nice GUI which sends proprietary NMEA sentences down the serial line to configure the unit. If that's the case and IF (big if) you can find out what they are, you may be able to write them down the serial line using a cruder method. I'd go dual-boot though.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux