Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 16:38   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
transducers

Does anyone have information on whether a Garmin B60 thru hull transducer with a 20 degree tilt will work on a Pacific Seacraft 34?

Thanks,

Andy
aliddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 16:02   #2

Re: transducers

I am also looking for placement of a Airmar B60 20° transducer. I am amazed at how difficult it is to get placement info. I am installing on a 1972 Pearson 33. Did you get any advice?
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:03   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Go to your local big box hardware store and buy an $8.00 angle finder. If the hull angle is within the range of a 20degree tilt transducer than your golden.

Here are the transducer tilt angles based on deadrise...
16 - 24 degrees = 20 degree tilt
8 - 15 degrees = 12 degree tilt
0 - 7 degrees = 0 degree tilt

The transducer should be placed so that the widest beam clears the keel. The B60 has a 50kHz beamwidth of 45 degree .

If the boat is out of the water you can pick a location and measure 22.5 degrees toward the keel and see if the beam hits the keel.

Or if the boat is in the water you can place the transducer in a sealed bag full of water and connect it to the plotter. Then place it where ever you would like to put the transducer and check for proper operation. Make sure it is properly oriented.

Or let a professional take care of it.

Read the Airmar installation manual for more information. Seriously read it.
Old 09-05-2018, 20:08   #4

Thank you! I cut the hole today and was going to make a backing plate BUT.....the Owners Guide for a B60 20° (on diagram) shows no backing plate and only shows the rubber gasket. Any additional input would be great since I am installing tomorrow!
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:29   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

You could make a "backing plate" if you want but it is not needed.

If you do make one it needs to be well bonded to the hull. Bonded so well that it is essentially part of the hull. It should be made out of G10 not wood.

90% of the transducers our guys install have no backing plate. The washer will conform to the hull and distribute the pressure as needed.

Make sure the transducer is all the way against the hull. Most owner installed transducers leak because they are left to far away from the hull. It can be very tough to get it tight while keeping the orientation correct.