Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 19:09   #31

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hellosailor, thanks.

The Garmin refurbished units that I'm seeing, all come with a one year manufacturers warranty, and a 30 day return policy to the seller.

The labor hours seemed high and if takes a pro 40 hours it would take me 80..
The one that stuck out for me was 10 hours to install the wind instrument, with the mast down. Although I guess it's possible...mount the vane, run wire down the mast, then to the display, mount the display, power the display.

Good idea on calling the manufacturer...didn't think to do that.
Old 23-02-2009, 07:28   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"if takes a pro 40 hours it would take me 80.."
I fully agree with that, I only question the difference between a pro working in a workmanlike professional manner, and the "alleged professionals" who plague our society in so many ways. Including, doing work in a poor fashion or taking twice as long as the average handyman--or both.
OK, you've got a radar mount (self-leveling?) I don't know. Still, it is going to bolt or clamp on in some manner, then a cable will run forward. Snaking cables eats time, securing them per ABYC specification with clamps every so many inches and chafe protection, etc., takes time...but there's a limit to how much time, unless the guys are also planning to clean and detail the wire runs, polish the bolts, and give you a hand-drawn rendering of the whole thing before and after.

But for an experienced pro...what can I say, it took the work of many alleged professionals, over many years, to make me a skeptic and cynic about these things. Last time I need a major car repair (too much for me to tackle) the dealer estimated $1300. An independent shop with a top-notch reputation among collectors said no more than half of that. And guess which one had sharper techs? (Wound up only $225 from the shop, I got lucky, knock wood.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote