Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 03:23   #1

Boat: Dufour 45 Classic
ST7000 Factory Reset - HOW TO?

I am in the Canaries and about to cross the Atlantic but my chief mate is frustrated and threatening to abandon ship due to the constant high pitched sound of the WATCH ALARM going off every 4 minutes. Me being an old bulldozer driver, shearer and hunter can not hear it and so it doesn't bother me. I use a 20 minute egg timer type watch alarm with a very loud ringer so the chances of sleeping through is minimal. How can I reset the ST7000 to factory settings to kill the damned thing from WATCH ALARM. I do not need to hear that I should keep it going because of safety concerns because it is ineffectual. Ted
TedElixirNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 08:43   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: ST7000 Factory Reset - HOW TO?

I suspect you already know how Watch Alarm works but this is an extract from the Service Manual:-

Watch Alarm (not available in Standby)
• Engage the Autopilot in Auto Track Windvane mode.
• To select Watch alarm push Display repeatedly until Watch appears.
The 4 minute timer is now running:-
— After 3 minutes 'Watch' flashes on all control units.
— After 4 minutes the alarm sounds on all control units.
• Push Auto at any time to reset the timer to 4 minutes and silence the alarm.
• To cancel the Watch alarm at any time push Display.

And here is another extract from the Service Manual:-

6.2 Permanent Watch Alarm Mode.
The ST7000 autopilot can be set up in a permanent watch alarm mode, as required by the Sea Fish Industry Authority (S.F.l.A).
It must be stressed that the selection of this mode is permanent and can only be reversed by returning the Course Computer to Nautech.
Permanent Watch Alarm is achieved by first entering the calibration menu. Once in calibration, regardless of display message, press the Auto, Standby, and Track keys together for 1 second before releasing. The display will now show ‘SELECT WATCH’.
The user now has 10 seconds to select permanent watch alarm mode by again pressing Auto, Standby and Track together for 1 second. The display will then show ‘WATCH ON’ for 10 seconds before reverting back to ‘CAL’. A normal exit from calibration mode must now be executed.

If PWAM is set then it appears your course computer will have to go back to Raymarine as you can't reset it yourself.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 09:03   #3

Thanks Hoolie, however we are both on the same track but I refuse to believe that there is not another way to deaden the WATCH ALARM without having to send it back to Raymarie who will not fix it now anyway. I don't feel like buying a new autopilot just to kill the Watch Alarm. Cheers Ted
Old 11-02-2019, 00:22   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

hi ted

this is a very old thread but i see you are still active here so writing on the off-chance you remember this

i have recently brought a nice 40' cat, with an ST7000 autopilot...which has the watch alarm active. first thing i did was go to the manual to see how it can be turned off, but WATCH does not come up when scrolling through the 'display' options.

next option was to contact Raymarine, but the ST7000 is now too old and no-one there knows anything apart from what is in the manual, or how to do a factory re-boot or how to find out if the system has had a permanent watch alarm activated (boat was in charter once upon a time... so maybe ?)

were you ever able to solve this problem (short of buying a new auto pilot) ?

any help much appreciated !

cheers,

chris
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:23   #5

Hi Chris
There is no way reset once the Watch Alarm has been set. Thus if you see the words ¨Watch Alarm¨ with a Beeping sound on the display then you are stuffed to retreive the original configuration bu there is hope and you do not have to lose your ST7000.
The displays are sealed with a supposed once only seal so be very careful taking it apart but you do have to do it, or go mad, your choice. Once you pulled the unit apart you will see a silver round item thingy close in size to a $2 coin. That is the ringer so just use your side cutter and carefully cut the bastard out! Carefully reassemble the unit and put it back in place. Now you will see the words Watch Alarm come on and stay on until you activate a course change but you can just ignore it as it does not effect the auto steering and it will no longer ring. I have sailed 14,000 miles with mine like that and so I can vouch that it is a fix if not a complete fix but better that replacing the whole Raymarine system, the best part is no cost at all to do. But do be very careful to ensure that it all stays dry as best you can after the reseal.
Of course if you see the words Watch Alarm now but there is no ringing then this fix has already been applied and you can continue to use the autopilot uninterrupted.

I hope this is of some help
Ted
Old 11-02-2019, 02:38   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

hi ted

many thanks. not what i wanted to hear, but not unexpected...

been thinking about disconnecting the alarm (and pleased to hear it's not too hard) but worried as this will also stop genuine alarms eg XTE etc. in addition the alarm in the plotter seems to go off in sympathy as well, and turning off this too might be a step too far !

oh well...

many thanks for your help !

cheers,

chris
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote