Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 17:14   #1

Boat: Columbia 50
Splicing radar cable

I recently purchased a raymarine digital dish to tie into my e7. I intend to mount it on my mizzen, and would like some sort of disconnect at the base of the mast rather than unpull 20ft of cable every time I drop the mast. Anyone have experience here?

How many conductors are there?
Are the conductors sensitive to,distance/patches?
Could I get away with basic mast connectors? (Aqua signal makes a nice 5-conductor one)

Thanks,

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 17:30   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Splicing radar cable

Ours is older, a monochrome display, but I doubt that the information carried by the cable is very different. Ours had 9-10 very small wires, a very small coax, 2 bigger wires and a bunch of shielding. The DAPO had cut it at the base of the mast and I tried to splice it with zero success. I am skilled and was quite careful. I bought a new cable and all was well. I can't say that I'd recommend splicing it.
Old 13-01-2014, 18:08   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Use the search function and find several long threads on splicing radar cables.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 21:39   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

most of these are just ethernet cables now.

dave
Old 17-01-2014, 06:32   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The older radomes had a dozen or two various wires of different diameters. Some are twisted, some are shielded.

I've successfully spliced and re-soldered them on a couple of occasions and they've been pretty reliable.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 07:09   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I would suggest experimenting with a properly sized terminal block.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 07:29   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I would suggest experimenting with a properly sized terminal block.
I agree, and use a watertight pass-through at the deck. If your terminal block is situated beneath the ceiling liner it will stay dry -- very important for this sensitive connection. Leave a drip loop before the termination in case you get any leakage. The slightest bit of corrosion or oxidation will cause flakey operation. Keep your leads as short as possible. Keep twisted pairs twisted as far as possible (before separating for termination) and locate them on adjacent screws in the terminal block to allow for this.

The newer digital radars are high frequency signals at 5v. Bundled in the cable will likely be some twisted pairs of small-gauge wires to carry Ethernet, and heavier wires to control/power the spinning antenna and power and ground. If RF is an issue you can put the terminal block inside a metal box and attach the shield to the box, but I haven't found this to be needed in my Lowrance Broadband Radar system.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 09:07   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

It's not a problem, I've done it on ALL my radar installations on sailboats because, well, they're sailboats. You occasionally have to remove the mast, don't you? I first did it when I couldn't get an expensive Raymarine cross-over fitting. You just connect the cable to the corresponding wire of the cross-over fitting (confirm it with an ohm meter). On the other brands, just think of it as a mere extension of the color code. If you still have issues, after retwisting the wires, wrap the bundle with aluminum foil, in contact with the cable braid, and seal it. I've never actually had to go that far, though. In fact, I prefer either male-female spade connectors or a terminal strip near the mast. With NMEA 2000, it's even easier.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 09:18   #9

The olds ones were easy, just add a terminal strip under the floor in the bilge. I had no problem with theis several times. The new radars are entirely different though right? little dinky computer type wires?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 09:24   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
It's not a problem, I've done it on ALL my radar installations on sailboats because, well, they're sailboats. You occasionally have to remove the mast, don't you? I first did it when I couldn't get an expensive Raymarine cross-over fitting. You just connect the cable to the corresponding wire of the cross-over fitting (confirm it with an ohm meter). On the other brands, just think of it as a mere extension of the color code. If you still have issues, after retwisting the wires, wrap the bundle with aluminum foil, in contact with the cable braid, and seal it. I've never actually had to go that far, though. In fact, I prefer either male-female spade connectors or a terminal strip near the mast. With NMEA 2000, it's even easier.
Agree with what you wrote except to be specific, twisted pairs must be left as twisted pairs as much as possible. It does no good to twist the entire bundle if the individual wires run parallel to each other.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar