Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2006, 21:54   #1

Sound & Amplification Systems For The Marine Enviroment

Here are (two) rival companies, that put out not only car stereo and home stereo equipment. But also marine outdoor equipment as well.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/home/

http://www.mtxaudio.com/mtxHomePage_content.html

:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 03:59   #2

I sail to escape blasting music. Any decent car stereo and speakers suits us fine. Blasting noise "music" is a really tasteless and inconsiderate thing to do especially in an anchorage or at a dock.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 05:04   #3

Well Jef.

It's not for everybody!!

But some of us human beings enjoy our music. Like myself!!

But, I don't consider rap/hip hop.... music. If that's what you're reffering too?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 31-05-2006, 06:24   #4

Boat: C&C 27
I was shocked! Shocked I say to find out that there is someone who doesn’t love the lyrical strains of Hillary Hahn or can’t personally relate to Richard Thompson’s Vincent Black Lightning. But sadly enough everyone has their own taste. In another thread someone suggested that to expect courtesy from others in an anchorage was being selfish and that goes to show that we can rationalize any position. I have to admit I’ve been the anchorage’s jerk in my time. Glass Houses...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 08:11   #5

I was referring to ANY style of music that I can hear from MY boat which is coming from YOUR boat. if I can hear it... its too damn loud. End of Story.

Like most humans, I like music, and I like to hear it at "performance" levels in the right environment. But I have had to suffer the music of too many "boaters" who could care less about others in the area.

As a "profit of doom" you might want to consider whose doom you are creating with your loud music.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 16:46   #6

Jef you need to chill out!!

Yes. Some or alot of people. Especially, the younger generation. Likes to blast their music too loud!! And I can agree with you on that topic about the anchorage being disturbed by the loud music. I would not even enjoy that myself. I only play my music at acceptable tolerable levels. Within my room.

So Jef just calm down. I agree with you on this subject.

I just posted this just to show that these items are available on the open market. Not to start a shooting match!!

Old 31-05-2006, 22:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hey, I'm a baby boomer born in the early 60's. I like my music LOUD and Full of real low BASS.
But no, I am considerate to others. Plus noise on a boat comes at an expense of power.

However, to go back to the topic K started this thread on. There are many companies out there that are producing sound equipment with the word "marine" on it. Be very careful what you buy. Much of what is available isn't so good in a wet environment. A great number of companies produce speakers with polypropelyne cones, because a poly cone is cheap to make. And then say it is "marine". But often the lead in wires and the magnet assembly is not "marine" environment friendly. So look for speakers that has all the relevant area's sealed up from salt air.
The other important points are, how did the company make the amplifier or head unit marine proof? You can get some basic grade equipment that has had a soft seal sprayed over the components. But you really need a unit that is sealed in some way. The head units are another major area. The insides of a lot of equipment simply can't be protected. One make does use SST for all the tape carrage. But I have no idea waht they did about the CD unit they have now. Then there are all the terminal connections. So there is a lot to look at in regards to "how long is this thing going to perform in a marine enironment"?? And , JUST because someone say's they have equimpment for the marine industry, doens't always mean it is Marine proof. It could just look cool for boats and that's it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Head phones allow you to keep your favourite (loud) tunes between your ears, and out of mine, and visa versa.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 15:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
There are times...

Surely there are times when loud music is appropriate.
Maybe like New Years Eve or the evening of the last day of a long weekend with a few beers or when you are alone in the middle of the ocean.
And there are times when it is inappropriate.
Like Sunday morning, late at night or anytime in a quiet anchorage.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote