Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 19:13   #1

Boat: beneteau 11.5
seatalk ng

Hi all
just got a replacement/upgrade for my old smartpilot spx5. This new raymarie unit is the evolution EV-one- system. This has a trade name Seatalk ng, compatible with nmea two thousand (for some reason I cannot type numbers into this request?!) . So, the question is, does anybody have experiance with the new Raymarine products with the Seatalk ng, I need a new chartplotter and wind instrument, if not Raymarine, which manufacturer to but these items from and why? I do want to use the Raymarine as it is plug and play, or so it seems. The autopilot was replaced under a repair warrenty, so I got a good deal on it, or I believe I did- I hope!
parado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 20:02   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: seatalk ng

I know it just takes an adapter cable to go from Seatalk ng to nmea 2000.
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarin...ale-P3256.aspx
You could use a nmea 2000 chartplotter and wind from any manufacturer, I have a Garmin (nmea 2000) connected to Raymarine ST60 instruments (Seatalk)
and an ST 6000 AP (nmea 0183) using a Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter and adapter cable.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 20:33   #3

Boat: Catalina 36

You can also make your own cable to convert a N2K backbone to SeaTalkNG just using a SeaTalkNG backbone cable and field installable N2K terminals.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 20:35   #4

The explanation of NMEA 2000 networks on this page may be helpful.
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...ne-Electronics
Old 04-09-2019, 20:58   #5

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Rather than buy the custom raymarine cable, it was cheaper for me to take a standard raymarine cable cut it in half and add the Maretron field end. Plus each standard cable gave me two raymarnine NG cable ends.

The best price I found for them was WM... believe it or not. ;^)

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/maret...94?recordNum=1
Old 04-09-2019, 21:52   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

I just did a complete upgrade and went with Raymarine. Installed an Axiom Pro 9 chart plotter, Quantum radar and Evolution EV-100 A/P. Raymarine may be getting away from Seatalk NG, as the Axiom Pro uses NMEA 2K, not Seatalk ng. This doesn’t matter as they are the same protocol, only with different connectors. Raymarine sells an adapter cable, so don’t worry about mixing the two. I asked about making my own adapter cable and was advised by a factory rep not to. He saw too many installation issues by others going this route. This isn’t to say you can’t, but the cable was cheap enough for me to not take this chance.

If you are replacing the chart plotter, consider you need to stay with Raymarine in order to control the EV-100 from the chart plotter. Future software updates on the Evolution components can also be done via a Raymarine chart plotter. If you are only controlling the A/P from the p70 control head, then any NMEA 2K chart plotter should be able to supply nav information to the EV-100. I would expect any compatible NMEA 2K wind instrument to be plug and play on the network, but it’s a good idea to ask first before purchasing.

Have you installed the Evolution? Getting the settings correct was somewhat frustrating, but the Raymarine forum was able to provided the needed information. This included a coastal sail in which I still had a cellular internet connection. The wife was at the helm, I went below and found an undocumented setting on their forum that fixed the main problem.

I’m happy with the system and support. It works very, very well.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 21:56   #7

Boat: Columbia 50

The ng system is nice in that the connectors are very small, go though holes and binnacle tubes easily.

Look into a raymarine itc5 (I think). It takes analog wind, paddle, and depth sensors and converts them to nmea2000, broadcasting them to all gear.

I have and like my raymarine chart plotter (an e7) - any of their more recent ones will let you control the autopilot right through the chart plotter, and the network matches up. If you choose a different manufacturer, you can tie it into the network with one of the aforementioned conversion cables.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 23:35   #8

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

I typically prefer standards compliance, but Seatalk NG connectors are a much better design than Micro-C. It's a pity Raymarine didn't win that particular fight.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:24   #9

Gee RM are good; they will actually SELL us a cable to connect RM equipment to an RM network!
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
Gee RM are good; they will actually SELL us a cable to connect RM equipment to an RM network!
Que?

I think we are discussing connecting RM to N2K networks...

I don’t think RM sell a cable that does that, it’s aftermarket suppliers.

But RM have been trying to trap us in proprietary networks for years with their wierd cables and connectors..
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Rather than buy the custom raymarine cable, it was cheaper for me to take a standard raymarine cable cut it in half and add the Maretron field end. Plus each standard cable gave me two raymarnine NG cable ends.

The best price I found for them was WM... believe it or not. ;^)

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/maret...94?recordNum=1

This is what you want to do. Field connector on one end.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:19   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Que?

I think we are discussing connecting RM to N2K networks...

I don’t think RM sell a cable that does that, it’s aftermarket suppliers.

But RM have been trying to trap us in proprietary networks for years with their wierd cables and connectors..
Oh they do, Axiom and Element CPs have a NMEA2000 pin connector on the back, so you need a converter to connect to Sea TalkNG. About £27 new or I paid £10 for one on e bay last night.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:30   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by parado View Post
Hi all
just got a replacement/upgrade for my old smartpilot spx5. This new raymarie unit is the evolution EV-one- system. !
Excellent, the Evo 100 is streets ahead. Oddly enough I have just done an updated review of our Evo 100 this morning:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2969565

I am about to add an Element 9S chart plotter to the network, but intend to keep the St60s separate on their own little network. Adding the older Sea Talk to a Sea Talk NG network is quite expensive for little gain

Fit a rudder reference unit if you haven't got one already.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19   #14

Quote:
Adding the older Sea Talk to a Sea Talk NG network is quite expensive for little gain
That bit is less than $100 here in the states and it also established a nmea 2000 backbone for me so was budget friendly. https://www.defender.com/product3.js...879&id=1787959
Old 05-09-2019, 07:47   #15

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I am about to add an Element 9S chart plotter to the network, but intend to keep the St60s separate on their own little network. Adding the older Sea Talk to a Sea Talk NG network is quite expensive for little gain

For about $80 US I am able to display the legacy ST50+ depth and speed on the Axiom chart plotter by using the RM ST-STNG converter. Considering the location of my ST50+, this upgrade was a big gain for little expense.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seatalk