Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2014, 19:11   #1

Boat: Norman Cross 46
Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack reviews???

I am planning to get a better autopilot for our multihull.
We have a Vetus hydraulic system with wheel steering.
Used Autohelm ST3000 for years with moderate satisfaction ...
Vetus does not make any autopilot anymore so the easiest would be to fit another wheel pilot.
I am looking at getting a Raymarine Evolution EV-100 wheel autopilot pack. Looks easy enough to install and the manufacturer literature sounds wonderful but that is the idea anyway

I like to hear from anyone using that autopilot to help me decide to get one ... any problems ... any issues? Tnx for your feedback

Old 19-09-2015, 09:48   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 30 Ketch
Re: Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack reviews???

I have a Cape Dory 30 ketch I sail in Maine,with a worm gear steering. I purchased the EV 100, because my previous Raymarine wheel steering gave me so many problems. (innumerable compass recalibrations, terrible with a following sea, wouldnt work in anything less then 2.5 kts) Granted I didnt attach the rudder sensor (difficult with the minimal movement of the worm gear). The new EV 100 version said they didnt require the 360 degree turns, (but do require a couple of slow turns at a min of 3 kts). I find it is useless in anything less then 2 kts, if on a reach with a quartering sea it gives up the ghost and struggles to get back on track, chronic over-steering, which makes its own trouble, where if the boat was left to its own devices, it would be fine. Once over 30 degrees off its course, it stops and make this feeble attempt in minute increments to get back to course. By now things are beyond repair and Gybing has started (although you set the "do not gybe" on your set up. It is designed to work without the rudder sensor, but maybe other boats with the rudder sensor attached are having better luck than I? It does work well however with a violent, following sea and making 5-6 kts on a run (go figure), and on a nice beat when my boat sails well without anyone needed at the wheel anyway. I thought that this would be an affordable substitute for a servo-pendulum, but after two of these purchases, it might have been cheaper for a monitor???
Old 19-09-2015, 21:07   #3

Boat: Norman Cross 46
Re: Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack reviews???

I did install the EV-100 with rudder sensor and the results were very similar to yours .. very disappointing Cruising 3 months in Indonesia and Palau, we had to hand-steer as the new system did not work well at all.

I don't understand, the old Autohelm ST3000 did well for many years ... this EV-100 should do much better but it does not so far!

I spoke with Raymarine and they say i should have taken a bigger system with hydraulic ram and not the wheel pilot!

Anyone has any positive experiences with the EV-100, please let us know what you learned, ok?

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, reviews, wheel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: