Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 18:11   #1

Boat: Norman Cross 46
Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack reviews???

I am planning to get a better autopilot for our multihull.
We have a Vetus hydraulic system with wheel steering.
Used Autohelm ST3000 for years with moderate satisfaction ...
Vetus does not make any autopilot anymore so the easiest would be to fit another wheel pilot.
I am looking at getting a Raymarine Evolution EV-100 wheel autopilot pack. Looks easy enough to install and the manufacturer literature sounds wonderful but that is the idea anyway

I like to hear from anyone using that autopilot to help me decide to get one ... any problems ... any issues? Tnx for your feedback

Old 19-09-2015, 08:48   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 30 Ketch
Re: Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack reviews???

I have a Cape Dory 30 ketch I sail in Maine,with a worm gear steering. I purchased the EV 100, because my previous Raymarine wheel steering gave me so many problems. (innumerable compass recalibrations, terrible with a following sea, wouldnt work in anything less then 2.5 kts) Granted I didnt attach the rudder sensor (difficult with the minimal movement of the worm gear). The new EV 100 version said they didnt require the 360 degree turns, (but do require a couple of slow turns at a min of 3 kts). I find it is useless in anything less then 2 kts, if on a reach with a quartering sea it gives up the ghost and struggles to get back on track, chronic over-steering, which makes its own trouble, where if the boat was left to its own devices, it would be fine. Once over 30 degrees off its course, it stops and make this feeble attempt in minute increments to get back to course. By now things are beyond repair and Gybing has started (although you set the "do not gybe" on your set up. It is designed to work without the rudder sensor, but maybe other boats with the rudder sensor attached are having better luck than I? It does work well however with a violent, following sea and making 5-6 kts on a run (go figure), and on a nice beat when my boat sails well without anyone needed at the wheel anyway. I thought that this would be an affordable substitute for a servo-pendulum, but after two of these purchases, it might have been cheaper for a monitor???

ototoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 20:07   #3

Boat: Norman Cross 46

I did install the EV-100 with rudder sensor and the results were very similar to yours .. very disappointing Cruising 3 months in Indonesia and Palau, we had to hand-steer as the new system did not work well at all.

I don't understand, the old Autohelm ST3000 did well for many years ... this EV-100 should do much better but it does not so far!

I spoke with Raymarine and they say i should have taken a bigger system with hydraulic ram and not the wheel pilot!

Anyone has any positive experiences with the EV-100, please let us know what you learned, ok?
Old 13-05-2018, 03:31   #4

Boat: Dufour 310

I had one a Beneteau 37. Worked very well to windward but not good in a following sea. Also I did not like the noise. Cheap solution though. A rudder sensor and go's made no difference at all.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 11:23   #5

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I have the Raymarine smart pilot X5 with rudder sensor.
The unit works well. I have bought the Evolution pack as a back up pilot. Was hoping that the Heading sensor would improve course holding.
Installed the new Evolution and found on our Atlantic crossing, that the new unit has only 3 Rudder response settings compared to the 9 Response settings of the old X5.
Very disappointing, under certain conditions could not reduce rudder response to stop the wheel from continuously oscillating. The old X5 is much better, unfortunately the heading sensor from the Evolution appears to be not compatible with the X5.
Seman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 11:32   #6

Boat: Pearson 303

I'd say it works well, for all waves and sailing conditions as long as you have some speed through water. It gets very confused when it's dead calm. Very easy to install!
It squeaks though, a lot. All the time. Anyone solved this?
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:04   #7

On my 7 ton sailboat, It never worked with more than 15 knots downwind. It had a constant creaking noise. Cheap plastic. Manufactured not to last.

I gave up and bought the CPT. Unless your sailboat is really light (less than 4 tons?) the CPT is a much better deal.
blue-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Fitted the Evo 100 wheel pilot to a 31ft, 5000kg yacht two years ago. Took some time reading all the manuals and there are lots of them. Also ordered a single navpod unit to mount the P70 control instrument on the side of the pedestal. Took a day to fit and about an hour to commission. Did it twice because wasn't sure I had completed each step correctly but it worked straight away once complete.

Over the past two years it has worked flawlessly in conditions up to close hauled in a F6 and down wind in F5 with strong tidal currents adding to the fun and waves. Single handing, the wheel pilot will hold the boat on course whilst I sort out the sails and get them trimmed. Always tricky because there will be a while when I have only one sail deployed so trim is completely out of the question. This hasn't been a problem. Equally, less than perfect sail trim doesn't seem to be an issue for the wheel drive.

I am surprised that folk have tried to use this on 40ft and 46ft yachts when the instructions clearly state a maximum boat weight of 7500 kgs. You wouldn't tow a large caravan with a Fiat 500, so why ask a wheel pilot to control a large yacht hour after hour?

Overall am I happy with the Raymarine Evo 100? yes very.

Would I buy it again? yes and whilst there are alternatives an under deck solution is twice the price and the alternative CPT wheel pilot again costly to import into the UK at 50% more than the Evo 100.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:25   #9

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

I will be following this thread carefully as I will be attending the Toronto Boat show later this month with the intention of purchasing the EV-100. This system seams to be the predominate autopilot used in the Great Lakes. I haven't heard of any issues from any of my dock neighbours or friends using this system.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 17:54   #10

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

I had a 3 tonn Catamaran fitted with an old grey dohnut RM wheel pilot.
It began to become eratic and make clicking noises .
I pulled it apart and discovered deteriating plastic bits that were under load and after 10 years service were a bit wobbly.
I called Raymarine service dept who were very helpful and confident I neede a new one.

So at the beginning of a long journey I bought a brand spanker.
This was fitted on easily and then produced a zig zag course of 100 meters per zig .
Setvice dept came up with lots of ideas .
Being a new belt I should adjust it to the losest setting .
Slight improvemnt .
Having pulled the old one apart and gathered some idea of how it all worked I thought I needed to adjust the belt even loser but there is a plastic cam stop on the dial that prevents this .
The service dept said that was not the problem .
In the mean time with some well placed knead it putty I reinforced the bits and screws on the old one and actually got it working again very well.
I now had a new expensive spare that worked like a drunk .
I got good at swapping these units out trying different fixes .
I would take the wheel off and steer via a multi grip on the spindle in conditions appropriate of course.

So back to RM service after a week of calls I tell them I am going to cut the cam preventer on the belt adjustment .
Oh oh this will void my warranty.
So I cut about three mm off the stop side of the cam washer loosened the new belt and away she went like a champion for another 6000 miles .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:30   #11

Boat: Pearson 303

I have had mine for a few years and couple thousand miles on a 30 mono hull. Works great, is very easy to use. I shut up all the squeaking inside of it by putting some lube on the belt. I wish it felt more solid, but it feels like the whole thing is held together well when engaged, but feels a bit flimsy when disengaged.
Very easy to install!

sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, reviews, wheel