Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 12:43   #436

Boat: Verl 27
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Are you out of the atmosphere?
Try clicking the buton reset in the I2C sensors tab
thanks, that solved the problem.
Swokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 23:51   #437

Quote:
Yes it is. Last week I detected this and it is fixed in the master on github. To update follow this instructions

Test OpenPlotter v0.7.0beta | Sailoog

Be sure the serial interface is disabled in menu > preferences > Raspberry Pi configuration > interfaces. If enabled raspbian takes control of the ttyAMA0 port and do not allow you to use it.

Report the result please
Many thanks for this. I saw your update about 10 minutes after sending this request and followed your updates, works beautifully now.
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 00:51   #438

Hi Sailoog, sorry to hassle you again but please help with SignalK. If I go to the signal button and show output the data is streaming but when I go to panel and or gauge I get nothing. Do I have to download the instrument panel or should it be working. Thx Richard

PS. do you have a user manual for this??
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 03:08   #439
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddaneel View Post
Hi Sailoog, sorry to hassle you again but please help with SignalK. If I go to the signal button and show output the data is streaming but when I go to panel and or gauge I get nothing. Do I have to download the instrument panel or should it be working. Thx Richard

That's actually a problem with the web browser.

Try this, open up a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install iceweasel
and hit return. You need to be online.
This will install another web browser called iceweasel.
Open up iceweasel from the internet menu and put in
localhost:3000/instrumentpanel/
and you should see it.
hope this helps.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 03:51   #440

Quote:
Yes

https://www.gitbook.com/book/sailoog...tation/details

but it's incomplete and we need help because it's a lot of work

This is the guideline for the people who are already working on it (please read guys) and for new volunteers. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OpenPlotter doc.pdf (322.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 21-02-2016, 04:45   #441

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Sailoog,

Just wondering whether there is a built in trigger based on time elapsed. Currently I have my pi set up to send things like battery voltage back to a web server every hour so that I can check it from anywhere. I guess I might be able to write a cron job in OP to do that, but i'm not sure how easily I could get access to the data to send. It would probably be easier if openplotter itself could do the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 06:21   #442
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
Sailoog,

Just wondering whether there is a built in trigger based on time elapsed. Currently I have my pi set up to send things like battery voltage back to a web server every hour so that I can check it from anywhere. I guess I might be able to write a cron job in OP to do that, but i'm not sure how easily I could get access to the data to send. It would probably be easier if openplotter itself could do the action.

You might be able to use a none(always true) trigger then in actions send a linux commend running a script repeating every 1 hour.
Old 21-02-2016, 06:23   #443
cruiser

Quote:
Sailoog, I realise it is a lot of work and I really appreciate what you have done so far. Is there any way we can help by donating, if so please send details. Thx Richard
There's a donate button at the bottom left of the website.

Home | Sailoog

And yes, well worth supporting
Old 21-02-2016, 10:11   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
There's a donate button at the bottom left of the website.

Home | Sailoog

And yes, well worth supporting
As the "Moe's Law" says (a guy from Navigatrix project),

Everything takes time, money, and monkeys.

You need a lot from any two groups, and a little from the third.

An increase in any one reduces the requirement for the other two.

Change occurs when one of those three change.

Old 21-02-2016, 10:15   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
That's actually a problem with the web browser.

Try this, open up a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install iceweasel
and hit return. You need to be online.
This will install another web browser called iceweasel.
Open up iceweasel from the internet menu and put in
localhost:3000/instrumentpanel/
and you should see it.
hope this helps.
Besides of installing a new browser, panel and gauge will work in any browser running on any device connected to OpenPlotter.
Old 21-02-2016, 10:28   #446

Quote:
Sailoog,

Yes. Date, time and operators as triggers were suggested by someone, conachair?, and is on the TO DO list for next 0.7.0 stable release.

A provisional solution could be what conachair suggested:

You should have a script which gets data from an ADC chip, sends data to your server and die. Create a trigger "none(always true)", and a "command" action for this trigger which repeats every 3600 seconds (1h). Write a command to run your script.
Old 21-02-2016, 10:50   #447

Quote:
I guess I might be able to write a cron job in OP to do that, but i'm not sure how easily I could get access to the data to send. It would probably be easier if openplotter itself could do the action.
oops, sorry I think we didn't quite understand your question. Do you mean adding an action to OP to send data to a server? Now OP sends any data flowing through the system to a Twitter account and by email. What way are you using to send data to your server? http post? webservices?
Old 21-02-2016, 11:18   #448

Boat: Fisher 37

Hello all, I am from the Netherlands and this is my very first post on this beautiful forum.

I am u user of OpenPlotter too and I found a strange thing. I have connected a LCJ Capteurs weather sensor, a AIS receiver (DVB-T) and a GPS sensor. All these nmea data is visible in OpenPlotter. But only the weather sensor data is not forwarded to OpenCPN. The AIS and GPS data is forwarded and visible in OpenCPN.
Now I removed the weather sensor connection from OpenPlotter and added this connection directly in OpenCPN (without OpenPlotter between in). Now OpenCPN shows the weather sensor nmea data. So OpenPlotter seems to cause a problem here.

Another thing is that the true wind calculation performed by OpenPlotter stops suddenly after a period of time. Reset of OpenPlotter is required to force OpenPlotter to continue calculating the true wind data (because the settings remains all the time correct).

Anyway, I am really happy with the whole RPi system and OpenPlotter! Keep the good work up! :-)
North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:43   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Hello all, I am from the Netherlands and this is my very first post on this beautiful forum.

I am u user of OpenPlotter too and I found a strange thing. I have connected a LCJ Capteurs weather sensor, a AIS receiver (DVB-T) and a GPS sensor. All these nmea data is visible in OpenPlotter. But only the weather sensor data is not forwarded to OpenCPN. The AIS and GPS data is forwarded and visible in OpenCPN.
Now I removed the weather sensor connection from OpenPlotter and added this connection directly in OpenCPN (without OpenPlotter between in). Now OpenCPN shows the weather sensor nmea data. So OpenPlotter seems to cause a problem here.

Another thing is that the true wind calculation performed by OpenPlotter stops suddenly after a period of time. Reset of OpenPlotter is required to force OpenPlotter to continue calculating the true wind data (because the settings remains all the time correct).

Anyway, I am really happy with the whole RPi system and OpenPlotter! Keep the good work up! :-)
Welcome to the party!

weather sensor

I assume this LCJ Capteurs weather sensor sends NMEA 0183 data. Do you know what kind of sentences generates?
Do you connect it by USB?
what kind of serial interface is created, ttyUSB, ttyACM ?
Do you create the input in the NMEA tab providing the same settings than in opencpn (serial interface, bauds)?
Are you connecting DVB-T, GPS and weather sensor through a powered hub?

true wind

True wind calculation stops if reception of AWA, AWS and STW stops (or AWA, AWS, COG, SOG and heading). Can this be the case?

Try to run openplotter in debug mode to get clues from both issues: see Reporting bugs here

thanks for reporting!
Old 21-02-2016, 16:34   #450

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
oops, sorry I think we didn't quite understand your question. Do you mean adding an action to OP to send data to a server? Now OP sends any data flowing through the system to a Twitter account and by email. What way are you using to send data to your server? http post? webservices?

I think the original answers from you and conachair addressed my questions. But your follow on does lead to an interesting potential long-term feature. I'm using a Fona cell module to send the data via http get parameters to a tomcat/Java web app. I'll probably switch to http post when I get around to it. For now I could absolutely script that the way you suggest, and it's probably too unique a use case for many people to be interested in. Really impressed and grateful for all the work you're doing on this.

Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote