Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 14:08   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Nema 2000 hookup

Hi All:

I am having problems with a Garmin Bundle that I purchased a few years ago. The wind indicator worked fine till the extended warranty ran out and now doesn't work. Occasionally I can disconnect it and re hook it and it works. When it doesn't work the display does not even see it as an option.

I would like the instruments to work so I figured that perhaps having the wind instrument too far from the power is my problem. Could you guys look at the diagram that I drew up and see if the new plan is wired correctly. NEMA 2000.pdf

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 14:11   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Nema 2000 hookup

wheres the other terminator?

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 14:48   #3

GBN:

According to the latest Garmin info that I have the windspeed indicator has an inline terminator. Garmin GMI 10/GWS 10 Multi-Function Instrument Package Perhaps mine is an older version w/o an inline terminator?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 15-04-2013, 15:08   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
GBN:

According to the latest Garmin info that I have the windspeed indicator has an inline terminator. Garmin GMI 10/GWS 10 Multi-Function Instrument Package Perhaps mine is an older version w/o an inline terminator?
The NMEA (not NEMA) wind-sensor should have an in-line terminator that you can install or remove. You need to check if it's in place or if it's still in the bag with screws etc. (just guessing)
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 15:10   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
GBN:

Yes , but its a specific piece of kit, connected at the connector of the gWS. Have you installed it.

Opps sorry nick got there first.

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 15:10   #6

Thanks Jedi. Perhaps that is the problem.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 15-04-2013, 15:12   #7

Thanx GBN. Would that be the little connector that looked like a T connector but didn't have an output on the top leg?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 15-04-2013, 15:14   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Thanx GBN. Would that be the little connector that looked like a T connector but didn't have an output on the top leg?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 15:15   #9

For other folks. I read the instructions and the grey ones are lightning arrestors and the black ones are in line terminators. Both of which do not have a top connector.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 15-04-2013, 15:18   #10
Nearly an old salt

I think we're frantically circling the truth

Dave
Old 16-04-2013, 08:31   #11

GBN:

I will try the new set up, see how it goes, and report back.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 23-04-2013, 08:57   #12

Got to the boat and have most of it wired in but realized I am missing two parts: Male Terminator and in line terminator. Got this message from the display when I had everything plugged in sans the terminators "No Device Found." Is that normal when you do not have a terminator on one end and no inline terminator on the wind instrument?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 20-11-2014, 15:23   #13

Wow here it is Nov of 2014 and I finally got everything working. Just some advice to people having problems.

1) Check for power. My bundle came with a yellow cord that was only for power and had a glass fuse in it. I checked for power at the connections and there was power. I checked the fuse with an Ohm meter and there was continuity yet I had no power at the end of the cord. This link will show you which pins to check for power. Article Details

2) Check all connections and clean them.

3) Make sure that the power is connected to the backbone near the middle if there are instruments with a long run.

Okay Funny story time . . . . I started inspecting the yellow cord. why was there power at one end and none at the other end . . .fuse was fine both visually and with meter . . . Well I checked the fuse size and it was an 8 amp. Fuse holder was for a 4 amp. I assume they are different diameter. 8 amp fuse could not make connection with the bottom of the fuse holder so that there was no power to the NMEA devices so they could not be read by the display.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 20-11-2014, 19:02   #14

fuess are same size... probably just a bad connection that got fixed when you took it apart
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote