Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2014, 20:10   #1

Navionics charts from Fugawi X-Traverse

I purchased a 12 month subscription of the Navionics charts for Australia which I downloaded from Fugawi X-Traverse total cost $400. I run this on my Mac laptop using MacEnc.($185)
According to the Fugawi web-site help page (which is very short on help) I can load these charts on two devices.
I haven't found out how these charts can be updated during the 12 months period yet, does anybody know?
The other question I have is could anyone offer a possible explanation why the downloaded version for a laptop is $400 when I can get the exact same charts for an i-pad for $50. These are downloaded via the internet as you go (i.e. up to the minute versions) whereas I have to update (I presume) by request.
A friend has the i-pad version and he just loads onto the i-pad the areas on the charts where he is heading and then plugs in a GPS and presto! thats all he needs.
I just don't get it? 8 times more expensive to have the charts on a laptop.
bobmac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 06:24   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Navionics charts from Fugawi X-Traverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac10 View Post
...The other question I have is could anyone offer a possible explanation why the downloaded version for a laptop is $400 when I can get the exact same charts for an i-pad for $50......
$350 more profit for the selling company at the cost of perhaps a bit more tech support.
Old 23-06-2014, 20:15   #3

Re: Navionics charts from Fugawi X-Traverse

Largely, you are correct. The ipad Navionics app + maps dose the same job as the more expensive Fugawai + navionics at about an eighth of the cost!

However, the iPhone version is different to the iPad so you effectively have to buy it twice if you want it on two devices.

The "full" version provides not only for Fugawai, but the came map set will then be transferrable to a MFD or chart plotter. Also the Fugawai will allow for improved management of tracks and route planning. Also, it permits AIS.

Whilst I have the iPhone app, the iPad app and the full Fugawai + Navionics like you, for 90% of my sailing, the iPad/Phone app works just fine.

But isn't half the fun, playing with and masterng the various things we buy that hardly ever get used!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, fugawi, navionics