Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 05:04   #1

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
N2K-USB converter

I'm after a N2K to usb converter to allow me to read and write binary PGNs in custom software without having to deal with awkward stuff below the presentation layer like collision management. I don't need translation to/from NMEA0183. ftdi (rather than prolific or weird stuff) chipset preferred so I can plug it into my mac without additional drivers, but not essential. I actually have a STNG network but am happy to use a devicenet-STNG adapter. What are my options?

The Actisense NGT-1 seems the obvious choice but there's also the Yacht Devices YDNU02-RM. The Maretron USB100 looks like it might do the job but even reading the manual it's hard to tell: it only mentions consumption of N2K data by Maretron's own apps. What are others using and how happy are you with your solution?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:17   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: N2K-USB converter

ShipModul do the MiniPlex-3 range of converters/multiplexers which are pretty capable and probably do a lot more than you need.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:06   #3

The miniplex-3-n2k-usb does (if I understand it correctly) both more and less than I require. Notably it doesn't seem to provide/take untranslated binary n2k PGNs at the usb interface. Moreover it's nearly 3 times the cost of the actisense: it has many more features but none I need for this.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:02   #4

Another device that may be closer to what you want is the Openplotter CanBus-USB stick. I'm not sure it does any PGN translation as it relies on the Raspberry Pi software to do that.
Old 11-03-2018, 14:24   #5

An excellent suggestion, I'm a big fan of what the openplotter folks are doing and this is half the cost of the Actisense but please don't think me over-picky if I give a reason why this may not be ideal of rme. I'll skip the long version and go with the short one. The openplotter folks have put honest caveats at the bottom of that product page. Whilst this device may work well in most cases, not not being developed from the N2K specs it may not implement everything required to "play well" with the bus. As I'm planning on developing some shonky application level software independent of the actual N2K specs, I want to avoid uncertainty around the lower layers of the network stack and, contrary to habit, am prepared to pay the NMEA tax for it.
Old 11-03-2018, 15:25   #6

But it's not big bucks. Surely it's worth buying one to see what it can do?

It's not on my buy list as my boat system is focussed elsewhere ... ...

ps I think the ShipModul stuff is more expensive than you might expect is because of the NMEA "tax"
Old 12-03-2018, 20:00   #7

I have both the maretron and actisense one in my tool bag. both work for what I need them for. but I have no idea about your questions. over my head...

pretty sure you can buy the actisense with a stng plug. so saves you an adapter cable.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote