Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 19:27   #1231

Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

already called them, an N-version is on the way, as is 4G.
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 19:35   #1232
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

4G will forever be problematic. In the US it can mean HSDPA+, or one of several (at least 3) incompatible 4G-LTE versions, so when you buy "4G" equipment for the US market, you're locked into your own carrier, unless they're going to make some incredibly ver$atile equipment.

What did they say about price, if anyplace will sell to the US market?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:48   #1233

Ok guys, help me out here. After reading this thread and much research I have installed a Ubiquity M2 bullet with an 8 db antenna. I've got it all hooked up to my laptop and can Access the AirOs utility. I can also see in the tools all the networks the bullet is seeing.
How do I connect to one of the networks to get on the Internet? I'm sure I'm missing something very basic. I'm running Windows 7.
Adalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:54   #1234

Click the the signal you want then click SELECT at the bottom. You will return to the Wireless Screen. Click CHANGE down at the bottom and a bar appears at the top asking you to apply or discard. Click APPLY and it should connect. It may ask for a key if the signal is protected. Return to the main screen and check the signal strength bar.

A lot of first timers forget to click the apply button.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 11:17   #1235

Where do I select the signal I want? In the site survey tool I can see them, but there's no way to select one.
Old 26-05-2013, 13:48   #1236
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Go to the Wireless tab and use the "Select" button to do the site survey. The "Site Survey" in the Tools menu is informational only.

In the scan window click the radio button to the left of the station you want to connect to then click "Change" and "Apply" on the Wireless tab. It takes about 12-15 seconds to complete the "apply".
Old 27-05-2013, 18:00   #1237

Thank you guys for your help. I did find the select button and was able to connect to a wireless network. I still can't get on the Internet with the laptop on the network, but I think that's a Windows networking problem. I have a friend who is going to look at it this week.
Old 28-05-2013, 04:57   #1238
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalton View Post
... I still can't get on the Internet with the laptop on the network, but I think that's a Windows networking problem....
If you can get to the AirOS pages then your problem is not a windows problem but a Bullet configuration problem.

Your computer LAN should be set to "Obtain IP address automatically" which is the normal default.

Your Bullet should be set as a Station/Router with Nat enabled.
Old 28-05-2013, 14:15   #1239

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Thank you guys for your help. I did find the select button and was able to connect to a wireless network....
You can at times get on a wireless network, but if that network doesn't have access to the Internet you won't either. They might have a router on that you can connect to, but the modem to the Internet via say their phone company turned off,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 14:53   #1240

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

And if its encrypted, WPA, WPA2 and the list goes on, forget about them. Many times you can get to a server only to find it has encryption. A bullet WILL provide great help though in areas where a WIFI is open to the public
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 03:33   #1241

The #1 question I get from new users. They find a good signal but can't get to the Internet because they are connected to a router which is not on line. If you are able to do a site survey and select a signal your side is working.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48   #1242

Man, what a learning curve! And I though I knew computers and networking pretty well. The secret trick is that you have to have a static IP address in the adapter to access the bullet and select a network, then change to Getting an IP address automatically to be able to access the Internet. The default settings and configuration for the bullet are fine. My wireless mode is station and the network mode is bridge. Oh yeah, and you have to know to hit select under the wireless tab to connect to a network!

Now that it all works, it works great. I have the bullet running to a 12volt Netgear router so I have my own wireless network on the boat!

The other thing I ran into is that there is no good bracket on the market to attach the bullet and antenna to a rail. I saw one I liked on Wave Wifi's website so I called them. Carl and Richard were both super helpful and one of their custom made brackets is on its way to me. Bottom line is that if I were going to do it all again I would buy a setup from Wave or Island Time PC. They take care of a lot of the configuration for you and the technical support can be priceless!

Thanks to everyone here who got me going in the right direction.

Antony Dalton
"Bliss"
Tampa, Fl.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22   #1243

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Man, what a learning curve! And I though I knew computers and networking pretty well. The secret trick is that you have to have a static IP address in the adapter to access the bullet and select a network, then change to Getting an IP address automatically to be able to access the Internet. The default settings and configuration for the bullet are fine. My wireless mode is station and the network mode is bridge. Oh yeah, and you have to know to hit select under the wireless tab to connect to a network!

Now that it all works, it works great. I have the bullet running to a 12volt Netgear router so I have my own wireless network on the boat!
Why would you not let the Bullet be the router? Then the ethernet address is static all the time alleviating that pain. Just use the Netgear for an AP.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 14:02   #1244
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

Why would you not let the Bullet be the router? Then the ethernet address is static all the time alleviating that pain. Just use the Netgear for an AP.
Exactly, the Bullet must be Station&Router&NAT. In bridge mode not all Wifi services will accept you as multiple MAC addresses leak out of your network.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 18:57   #1245

Boat: Catalina 34

I'm planning to set my wifi stuff up on the boat this weekend, after reading through some documentation for the Nanostation M2 as well as various threads here one thing is a bit unclear. My impression is that the Nanostation will not set up a wireless network that I can connect to from various devices. Is that correct?

If that's the case, will an Apple Airport Express (or Extreme) Base Station work with the Nanostation?